IGNORED

Bents

glastonred

20 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Although Gibson never played in the top flight he was an incredible keeper, Don't know his exact height but can't remember seeing a shorter keeper down the gate.

The fans loved him for sure.

Yep, you never forget your first City keeper.

The little I saw of Gibbo I thought he was great, and he certainly had a real rapport with the fans, but not sure he could have played consistently in the First Div. like John Shaw.

1 hour ago, TomThumb84 said:

Best keeper in the division and best all round keeper we have had since Tom Heaton.

I think the added ingredient is maturity as he seemed to lose concentration in some bad runs of form.

Still young for a keeper so will and should improve more.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong - my memory is possibly coloured by the fact we were relegated but, whilst Heaton was undoubtedly good for us and has done superbly since he left us, I'm not sure if he played as well when he was here as Bentley has this season. You've got to say that, at this point, the guy with several seasons in the Premier League is far more proven goalkeeper but, disappointed though I was to lose Heaton, I feel Bentley actually looks better for us than he did. 

8 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Harry, you are too young to remember Mike Gibson............just saying!?

True Geoff. 
I understand he was better than Yashin. 
And that Galley was better than Eusebio, and Rovers are in for a thrashing!!! 

Assume Holden has told him to take no risks, no more 80/20 passes from our defenders. Which is something I've never understood, goes well 80% of the time but 20% we give the ball away in dangerous positions. 

Our whole defense has cut these out which I think is a good idea.

47 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

I’m not sure if I’m imagining this but did Junior once win the fastest footballer in England contest.

I swear every club had to put forward its fastest player and then they all Went through the heats process before Junior won the final.

or it could have been a very elaborate dream!!

Rumbelows sprint challenge 

Last season at times I had reservations about how well he maintained the confidence of the defence- Raya looked a better upgrade for Brentford than him, and they seemed happy enough too- Maenpaa on the other hand did seem to command it quite well.

However seems much improved this season, in this respect- always had good points but other aspects seem to have been ironed out.

Another player who is maturing. Yes, he's older than the likes of Vyner, Bakinson and Semenyo BUT Goalkeepers do take longer to mature (and often get a couple of years extra over outfield players to make up for it). Bentley is arguably approaching his peak years in the next 12-18 months where keepers have a perfect mix of know how, experience and reflexes/agility. To be still with us when he reaches that peak I feel we may need to be playing a league higher!!

11 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Please do correct me if I'm wrong - my memory is possibly coloured by the fact we were relegated but, whilst Heaton was undoubtedly good for us and has done superbly since he left us, I'm not sure if he played as well when he was here as Bentley has this season. You've got to say that, at this point, the guy with several seasons in the Premier League is far more proven goalkeeper but, disappointed though I was to lose Heaton, I feel Bentley actually looks better for us than he did. 

You aren’t wrong, but I think Heaton played in a particularly poor side.

Difficult to say how good an individual is when judging them as part of a team, but looking at Heaton as a “goalkeeping package”, I thought he was pretty complete for us but let down by a horrible team around him.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Last season at times I had reservations about how well he maintained the confidence of the defence- Raya looked a better upgrade for Brentford than him, and they seemed happy enough too- Maenpaa on the other hand did seem to command it quite well.

However seems much improved this season, in this respect- always had good points but other aspects seem to have been ironed out.

Yep.  For me, last season Bentley just lacked that command of his area in comparison to Maenpaa and I thought our defence looked happier with Maenpaa behind them.

This season Bentley appears to have improved...and that mainly in his decision.  If you’re coming, come, if you’re staying on your line, stay.  As a defender you want to know what your keeper is gonna do and react accordingly.  I think he’s improved in this area, rarely see him in no-man’s land.

Mistakes will happen for all keepers it’s how they react.

One of thing that Gilmartin mentioned on comms weeks ago was that Pat Mountain is responsible for defensive set-pieces this season (good empowerment from DH).  I think someone who understands being a keeper will set up lines / positions better than a non-keeper.

I know we’ve conceded three (Barnsley, QPR, Brum) from corners but those have been concentration issues from the CBs rather than keeper failure per se.  We’ve also seen no repeat of last season where our defence would sit on the 6 yard line for opposition free-kicks and give the keeper no room to manoeuvre.  I can only conclude this is Mountain and Bentley setting the policy.  Also we don’t give away many free-kicks, because we don’t dive-in.

44 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Although Gibson never played in the top flight he was an incredible keeper, Don't know his exact height but can't remember seeing a shorter keeper down the gate.

He was certainly a top keeper and, as you say, a firm fans' favourite - I always crossed my fingers when he paced the goal line before kick off with the fans chanting 1,2,3 and hoping that he would actually manage to touch the crossbar.

23 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

You aren’t wrong, but I think Heaton played in a particularly poor side.

Difficult to say how good an individual is when judging them as part of a team, but looking at Heaton as a “goalkeeping package”, I thought he was pretty complete for us but let down by a horrible team around him.

That is a very fair point. 

1 hour ago, stephenkibby. said:

His little ritual of jumping up and touching the crossbar made me think he was saying "I may be small but look I can reach it when I have to".

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

So that's it then Famara Diedhou is better than Messi .

As our old friend René Descartes would say "I think therefore I am " and you can't argue with that.

David Hume, who was the Scotty Murray of 18th century philosophy, did actually argue with Descartes position. 

I mean Famara Diedhiou might think he's definitely a footballer because he can remember his goal last night, but Scotty would say, well all that proves is there is a brain somewhere having an experience. Everything else might be just an illusion. 

Before we get too involved in Greek philosophers, I add this, courtesy of Eric Idle:

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table
David Hume could out-consume
Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel
And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel
There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya
'Bout the raising of the wrist
Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed
John Stuart Mill, of his own free will
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill
Plato, they say, could stick it away
Half a crate of whiskey every day
Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle
And Hobbes was fond of his dram
And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart
"I drink, therefore I am."
Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed

4 hours ago, 'Orns said:

Remember Bents coming to the Gate with Brentford, even the way he walked out to warm out pissed me off. Just oozed confidence, and looked like he owned the place

Even despite City fans constantly remarking how his mum has a c##k and some b##locks throughout that game?

Archived