IGNORED

Corner kicks

Robbored

Can anyone explain why players talking them raise one or both arms before they take it? It happens at every level.

Its obviously a code to the attacking players but I’ve watched closely where the ball goes after the taker has raised his right or left arm or both and the next corner the same signal goes nowhere near the previous one...........:dunno:

I reckon they do it just for show..............:cool2:

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Can anyone explain why players talking them raise one or both arms before they take it? It happens at every level.

Its obviously a code to the attacking players but I’ve watched closely where the ball goes after the taker has raised his right or left arm or both and the next corner the same signal goes nowhere near the previous one...........:dunno:

You need Lord Baden Powell’s ‘  Boy’s Book of Corner Kick Signals ‘ . 
( not available at any good bookshop) 

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

All the proves is we are shit at taking corners consistently. The "code" will change every game or so. You dont need Alan Turing to break it really do you?

As an aside - we always fanny around with short corners. Just get the ****** in the area

I did notice last night that first half Blackburn’s first corner they tried was a replica of the goal they scored last season where there was a bit of disguise and it was knocked to the edge of the box.

As for the signal it’d be nice to think it was a plan, but as said, it’d be far too easy to crack - and it would rely on the forwards all looking at the corner taker, which with melees in the box can’t be guaranteed. 

Plus, the signal for “I’m going to completely shank this one” you’d figure out in the first ten minutes 

22 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

All the proves is we are shit at taking corners consistently. The "code" will change every game or so. You dont need Alan Turing to break it really do you?

As an aside - we always fanny around with short corners. Just get the ****** in the area

Pato’s delivery is generally good....and he can take with either foot.  Definitely been a trend of going mid / far post this season rather than near-post, which is deadly, but so often fails to hit the mark.  Coventry’s Hamer aims far post for virtually every corner, and he nails it.

As a CB going up for corners I’d rather have a flighted ball to attack than hope for an inch perfect near post ball that teams know is coming and prepare for.

48 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Isn't the whole point of coded signals is that people who are not aware of the codes can't understand it?

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

the signals are for front post back post penalty spot 18 yard or short and there is a few others,but you need someone with great ability to deliver

7 minutes ago, Big C said:

Isn't the whole point of coded signals is that people who are not aware of the codes can't understand it?

They all do it C. There are limited options for the taker. Front post, back post, middle of the goal. 

In some cases the taker will bounce the ball before placing it which may mean that a training ground move was on its way or...it could mean ‘I have no idea where this is going’...............:dunno:

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Pato’s delivery is generally good....and he can take with either foot.  Definitely been a trend of going mid / far post this season rather than near-post, which is deadly, but so often fails to hit the mark.  Coventry’s Hamer aims far post for virtually every corner, and he nails it.

As a CB going up for corners I’d rather have a flighted ball to attack than hope for an inch perfect near post ball that teams know is coming and prepare for.

Chelsea are a good example........although they always have four players making runs they tend to go far stick for Zouma to get the run on his marker (or whoever is covering the "zone"). Mason Mount another one who gets the delivery bang on time after time too.

It's a great deflection tactic (for one game only) when you only have one corner routine in your locker...............

The code is....

Right arm up, I won't cross until my arm comes down and then I will kick it towards the area.

Left arm, same as the right arm, but this will make them think we have more than one option from corners. I still won't cross until I put my arm down.

You're welcome  ?

Ah..........but did you raise your arm RRH?........

If it was anything like me stubbing  my toe  on the Newley positioned sofa then both hands were raised before aggressive fist clenching followed by a strong manly silence trying not to show just how much it actually hurt. 

1 hour ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I kicked the corner of the bed with my big toe when I got up for a piss at 4 o'clock this morning. Hurt like f...

I did that once when I lived in Australia. Threw my arm in the air when I did it and broke 3 fingers in the ceiling fan !!

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

COD’s corner kick hand signals:

One hand in the air means “ I’m not going to clear the first defender”.

Two hands in the air means “ I’m not going to clear the first defender"

:) 

1 hour ago, Mark barton said:

All I know is we are not the best at defending them, brum scored Ayala missed a good chance and next week matt smith pitches up. Opposition can see we are not the biggest at the back.

I agree...our defending of corners is week.

I've watched closely. When man marking, we spend way too much time watching the opposition. The opposition are focusing on the corner taker...we aren't. Too scared to lose man and get a bollocking. 

Vyner is the worst for it. Looks at his opposition, kick taken, opposition moves, Vyner then looks to see where ball is, and in doing so often loses position and his man.

They are looking to block the man rather than attack the ball.

14 minutes ago, spudski said:

I've watched closely. When man marking, we spend way too much time watching the opposition. The opposition are focusing on the corner taker...we aren't. Too scared to lose man and get a bollocking. 

Vyner is the worst for it. Looks at his opposition, kick taken, opposition moves, Vyner then looks to see where ball is, and in doing so often loses position and his man.

And a top opponent will take advantage of that split second you look away towards the ball....to run off of you.  Some players are bl00dy clever.  They can lose you just like that.

Very little you can do about it, short of wearing wing-mirrors! ?

38 minutes ago, spudski said:

And so they should. Very few headers are scored directly from corners unless the attacker gets a run on the ball.

If a headed goal is scored from a standing jump then that is poor defending.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

or...it could mean ‘I have no idea where this is going’...............:dunno:

Recently - it's this sadly.

Our set pieces have been quite poor in my opinion.

As you say the arm raising is probably a code for the type of delivery - however, it doesn't mean the taker will get it right.

Archived