IGNORED

Rotherham (a) – Sat 12th December 15:00 – What Can We Expect?

Davefevs

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

It definitely won't be as Ashton explicitly said DH has no target for this season. Nice work if you can get it.

Perhaps the target of not completely pissing the fans off and making us actually want to return to the Gate should be set.

Holden was well aware that he wasn't a popular choice. He had to win us over. And TBH there was a feeling of stop-gap about his appointment, rather than some long-term commitment to what horrible old Chairman Mao would call A Great Leap Forward.

If he wants another year to make his mark,  performances have got to be a hell of a lot better than that.

16 hours ago, petehinton said:

It’s also in context that we are letting teams into dangerous areas. They were all shots around the 20/25 yard mark. Poor yes, but it means teams are in good areas far far too often. 

It’s wasn’t always that way though. It’s not just injuries but injuries to key players that have made us completely change how we play . Start of the season we were on the front foot . Now much more a counterattacking team. So, opposition teams will have the ball high up the pitch . Taking away yesterday which was a disaster from start to finish. We haven’t conceded very many clear cut chances .  

Another truly pathetic performance where we’re not even competitive in a game, beyond embarrassing with the squad we have compared to sides like these.

Incredible what some on here will lap up.

Our performances will get these results consistently eventually, as they do every season.

15 minutes ago, Lenners said:

Another truly pathetic performance where we’re not even competitive in a game, beyond embarrassing with the squad we have compared to sides like these.

Incredible what some on here will lap up.

Our performances will get these results consistently eventually, as they do every season.

Yesterday was as abysmal as it gets, everybody agrees with that, no excuses. It does happen in football occasionally though but still no defence of anyone for it.

However, I would say it is near on impossible to keep putting in these performances over 18 matches and end up winning half of them and only losing a third of them. No team can be that “lucky”. Play as bad as we did yesterday and we lose end of.

Performance wise we do have more points than we should but not to the extent we should be in the bottom 6 or whatever. Nobody is lapping up the performances, we all want better.

Some people can see the squad we’ve got and understand and maybe even accept rather than “lap up” why we play counter attacking football however boring it may be. Doesn’t mean they want to see it but they can understand why.

It seems as though some expect Holden to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear and if you look at our squad overall it is a sow’s ear. It’s nowhere near a top 6 squad especially with the likes of Mawson, Baker, Weimann and (hopefully) Williams long term injured.

Position wise we are over achieving no doubt about it. What are people realistically expecting out of the players available to us? We lose a game and it is literally the end of the world. No perspective whatsoever imo.

4 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

It’s wasn’t always that way though. It’s not just injuries but injuries to key players that have made us completely change how we play . Start of the season we were on the front foot . Now much more a counterattacking team. So, opposition teams will have the ball high up the pitch . Taking away yesterday which was a disaster from start to finish. We haven’t conceded very many clear cut chances .  

Agree with much of this.

Stats bear out the bit in bold too- seemed to change after Norwich at home, at a push Huddersfield away.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Yesterday was as abysmal as it gets, everybody agrees with that, no excuses. It does happen in football occasionally though but still no defence of anyone for it.

However, I would say it is near on impossible to keep putting in these performances over 18 matches and end up winning half of them and only losing a third of them. No team can be that “lucky”. Play as bad as we did yesterday and we lose end of.

Performance wise we do have more points than we should but not to the extent we should be in the bottom 6 or whatever. Nobody is lapping up the performances, we all want better.

Some people can see the squad we’ve got and understand and maybe even accept rather than “lap up” why we play counter attacking football however boring it may be. Doesn’t mean they want to see it but they can understand why.

It seems as though some expect Holden to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear and if you look at our squad overall it is a sow’s ear. It’s nowhere near a top 6 squad especially with the likes of Mawson, Baker, Weimann and (hopefully) Williams long term injured.

Position wise we are over achieving no doubt about it. What are people realistically expecting out of the players available to us? We lose a game and it is literally the end of the world. No perspective whatsoever imo.

??????

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Isn't pretty much the same sow's ear LJ had? Mawson and Williams weren't here last season while Weimann and Baker are among the forum's least liked players after all.

So I'm not sure why different standards should apply.

22 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Isn't pretty much the same sow's ear LJ had? Mawson and Williams weren't here last season while Weimann and Baker are among the forum's least liked players after all.

So I'm not sure why different standards should apply.

I don’t take notice of everything that comes out of the owner. At times he talks absolute shite and so imo you have to look at what we have got yourself and judge accordingly. We’ve all been watching football long enough not to need Steve Lansdown to tell us how good or otherwise the squad is.

I was hoping that when LJ left we would bring in a Manager who would change things for the better and turn us into a front foot team. The owner didn’t do that and so I think it’s better to be realistic and judge the Manager he did choose, the “Breath of Fresh Air” (see what I mean?!!) on realistic standards.

Expecting top 6 and great football with that squad and with the players injured is cloud cuckoo land thinking imo of course.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I don’t take notice of everything that comes out of the owner. At times he talks absolute shite and so imo you have to look at what we have got yourself and judge accordingly. We’ve all been watching football long enough not to need Steve Lansdown to tell us how good or otherwise the squad is.

I was hoping that when LJ left we would bring in a Manager who would change things for the better and turn us into a front foot team. The owner didn’t do that and so I think it’s better to be realistic and judge the Manager he did choose, the “Breath of Fresh Air” (see what I mean?!!) on realistic standards.

Expecting top 6 and great football with that squad and with the players injured is cloud cuckoo land thinking imo of course.

I agree that SL and MA talk a deal of nonsense and that the squad is not top 6 standard.

But my point was that LJ was expected to make the top 6 with the same squad. So I don't see why DH would be judged by a different standard.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

First 8-9 games we saw signs.

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Masson being in the back line helped as he can travel with the ball. However we are a good 4-5 players away from being a front foot team with 2-3 injured players away from helping us with that I reckon.

I don't like to make excuses but I fear the injuries might be our undoing.

I could see Mawson as you say in the back line ball carrying CB, think he had some good long passing range as well, Walsh and Williams could bring drive and impetus- I think in certain circs Weimann and Paterson too- whether it's just one in the side, maybe different for different games but one of them could bring something.

Moore RCB, Mawson LCB- both can bring it out albeit Mawson better and with greater experience of this.

On paper, DaSilva should be bringing more in the attacking sense than Rowe- he's quite technical, young, this can help with energy- that's not a slight on Rowe at all but I'd like to see DaSilva at least matching Hunt for attacking numbers for one.

Archived