IGNORED

What excuse today

Topper 123

56 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm still very much biting my lip, trying not to get too down or angry about another poor performance, how ever depressing. The thing is we have got injuries, those injuries will be impacting performances. We have a new signing , potentially THE signing we have been waiting for , for ages (we won't know until he plays of course), plus the attacking MF we need and 2 CB's which could have made a massive difference. We could be a very different side, in look and style, but...

Norwich have had more injuries, 14 at one point I believe.
Everyone plays the same amount of games and in the same time frame.
I don't like hearing players looking tired, Holden has had chances to rest and rotate and decided not too.

The truth is performances are very similar to LJ, with that caveat of not being able to play his chosen XI. There are legitimate questions over Holden's choices, bringing in Brunt and shipping out Morrell seems odd and against how the club wants to work, I don't care how Morrell's doing now, that choice  is what I question. Not rotating a squad when we are low on numbers seems odd, or reckless . There are plenty of things we can question, but as I said, how can we decide how Holden sets his team up until it's his team to set up?

Today was shockingly bad, Tuesday will most likely be a similar game. They will have to put on their big boy pants and fight a lot more than they did today . I don't see us getting much, maybe a draw, but then I can't see anything but struggle until some players become available. 

All fair comment

We never seem to play well against Millwall & off the bad of today we can expect that to continue.

Today was a game where few would have questioned starting the likes of Fam, Marriappa, Massengo, Maybe even the lad Bell & brought on reinforcements as the game progresses using the 5 subs more wisely. If we lost we it would have at least been more entertaining and there would be empathy about lack of depth due to injury and the need to rotate what's left of the squad.

1 minute ago, Red Alert said:

All fair comment

We never seem to play well against Millwall & off the bad of today we can expect that to continue.

Today was a game where few would have questioned starting the likes of Fam, Marriappa, Massengo, Maybe even the lad Bell & brought on reinforcements as the game progresses using the 5 subs more wisely. If we lost we it would have at least been more entertaining and there would be empathy about lack of depth due to injury and the need to rotate what's left of the squad.

I think we should have rotated before the players running on empty. Over the last 3/4 games , ideally should have done this all along, we could have swapped out one or two in each game and tried to keep every one fresh. Obviously there are some that would have to play, but just try and keep the general team fresher. As it is we have keep a similar side, then changed 5, then kept a similar side. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few changed for Millwall, going to need it. Martin's looked off the pace, Semenyo isn't having the impact he was, COD looks leggy. Massengo should have been used more, I'm all for sticking with the players that have done well, but we need to try and keep the players from burning out. The only reason I think Fam hasn't had a start recently, is because he has impact from the bench and not any others gives us that. 
I would Play Mariappa, HNM and maybe even Brunt. Could even have Edwards in Semenyo's role at a push. But we do need freshening up even though options are limited. 

People bang on about the injured players yet to come back. Our strikers are all fit apart from Weiman who won't be back this season

If we don't make better use of our fit strikers than 1 or 2 shots on target per half then it ain't gonna improve. 

Playing NW on the wing and FD for 20 mins per game is hardly making the best of what's available. 

Don’t get how Holden can say it was the first time this season our performance was below the level. Think he has said that now nearly every other game for the last month or two. Need to understand why it keeps dipping like that - and it is really us exhaustion then rotate within the clear constraints.

But we are probably tired because we seem to be set up as a counter attacking team. Our possession stats are low and when we have the ball we don’t seem comfortable and seem to be waiting to lose it again. We seem to want to just play quick on the break rather than keep the ball and allow the players to take a break from applying the press etc. If we can’t keep the ball better and be set up to do so then the players are going to be exhausted from chasing the opposition around.

1 minute ago, desert said:

Don’t get how Holden can say it was the first time this season our performance was below the level. Think he has said that now nearly every other game for the last month or two. Need to understand why it keeps dipping like that - and it is really us exhaustion then rotate within the clear constraints.

But we are probably tired because we seem to be set up as a counter attacking team. Our possession stats are low and when we have the ball we don’t seem comfortable and seem to be waiting to lose it again. We seem to want to just play quick on the break rather than keep the ball and allow the players to take a break from applying the press etc. If we can’t keep the ball better and be set up to do so then the players are going to be exhausted from chasing the opposition around.

I think what he meant was that it’s the first time that we’ve played poorly/not got going for an entire 90 mins. I tend to agree with his view as at least in our other games, we’ve had spells where we looked like scoring.....yesterday was just really poor from start to finish!!

Holden tends to try to stifle the opposition and play for 0-0 first half what tends to happen is if the opponents score first chuck 4 upfront and hope for the best, results generally have been better than the performances but that will level out and then you get what you deserve either 1 or no points 

2 hours ago, desert said:

Our possession stats have dropped post Norwich at home. Talking as an average but also in some individual games. 

Agree though, chasing the ball out of possession wears sides down, wears them out too.

It's physically draining and mentally draining too- though the tactical discipline to sit in and counter like say some of the Italian sides of old would at least reduce the physical fatigue.

1 hour ago, Robin Wood said:

Holden tends to try to stifle the opposition and play for 0-0 first half what tends to happen is if the opponents score first chuck 4 upfront and hope for the best, results generally have been better than the performances but that will level out and then you get what you deserve either 1 or no points 

Not all that often early season tbh.

11 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

People bang on about the injured players yet to come back. Our strikers are all fit apart from Weiman who won't be back this season

If we don't make better use of our fit strikers than 1 or 2 shots on target per half then it ain't gonna improve. 

Playing NW on the wing and FD for 20 mins per game is hardly making the best of what's available. 

Wells on the wing is bad for us not only going forward but defensively too IMO.

Going forward however, I'd like to maybe see him get a run at CF, unsure about resting Martin but Wells seems like he could be more clinical. Unsure about this front 3 tactically.

11 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

It takes more than strikers to win a game...

Who is actually surprised? No income so limitations in the transfer window, a lot of young talent coming through the ranks (Massive plus longer term), a lot of injuries and two games a week. Think we are doing pretty well considering everything, and DH is doing a fantastic job. 
Presumably we are going to get all this drivel every time we lose a game? At least the prattling on about guaranteed success with Hughton has vanished 

Archived