IGNORED

“A breath of fresh air”

Fordy62

I don't think we’ll go down.

Lets just see how this season pans out.

Its hard to understand how COVID is affecting every team.

Im not making excuses, I just think it’s more difficult than most years to make a really honest appraisal 

14 minutes ago, petehinton said:

They finished above us last season and had the best transfer window in the division. They started off on a much stronger foot than we did. You absolutely can compare for me. 

He came in in October and has more losses since then than we have over the entire season....

If they were above us in the league I bet people would be more than happy to compare. Likewise if Hughton had taken over here and delivered exactly the same results and performances he'd be getting a lot more leeway than Holden is.

48 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

How on earth do you know Houghton wouldn't  have had those players?

Are you Nostradamus? 

No 

I’m not a miracle healer either....

Anyway .Pssssst.  ....I’ll let you into a secret .....but don’t tell anyone .......

They are injured and unavailable

Hope that helps.........

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

Depends on ones focus or obsession of stats

They aren't strictly indicative, and one must caution in conflating correlation and causation. However, honestly, are you able to tell them apart?

13 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Which is last season and which is this one?

Shots Shots on Target
  For Against Delta For Against Delta
AVE 10.15 14.98 -4.83 3.30 4.59 -1.28

AVE 9.83 14.22 -4.39 3.39 4.06 -0.67

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

They aren't strictly indicative, and one must caution in conflating correlation and causation. However, honestly, are you able to tell them apart?

On the basis that nothing has significantly changed in terms of players from where we finished last season (what we have brought in are sat in the stands injured) should we be surprised?

14 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

No 

I’m not a miracle healer either....

Anyway .Pssssst.  ....I’ll let you into a secret .....but don’t tell anyone .......

They are injured and unavailable

Hope that helps.........

Maybe Houghton wouldn't  have arranged a meaningless behind doors friendly that Baker over exerted himself in. Maybe Houghton wouldn't have picked Weimann and would've  had him sat on the bench behind Wells and Martin. Maybe Houghton, or the team he brought with him, would have handled Williams' injury differently. Maybe he wouldn't  have bothered loaning Mawson and his busted knees at all. Maybe he'd have kept Eliasson, loaned in Knockaert, played 433 with Wells up top and not bothered getting Martin. 

And so on.

Your assumption that everything would have been exactly the same, bar Houghton standing in the dugout instead of Holden, is ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

On the basis that nothing has significantly changed in terms of players from where we finished last season (what we have brought in are sat in the stands injured) should we be surprised.

Only if the new coaching team were going to be a breath of fresh air.

I said at the start I wanted to see 15 shots and 5 on target per match, as that is what your typical promotion/top 6 team achieve. We're nowhere near that, and are at parity with the last team with which Dean Holden was heavily involved with.

You're correct it's no surprise that this squad is achieving similar performances.

I would not advocate for his sacking at this time. He has a massive injury list and he should be given the opportunity to deploy his full squad. However right now, looking at the numbers we are posting, there should be no surprise in the fact we are slipping towards mid-table.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Only if the new coaching team were going to be a breath of fresh air.

I said at the start I wanted to see 15 shots and 5 on target per match, as that is what your typical promotion/top 6 team achieve. We're nowhere near that, and are at parity with the last team with which Dean Holden was heavily involved with.

You're correct it's no surprise that this squad is achieving similar performances.

I would not advocate for his sacking at this time. He has a massive injury list and he should be given the opportunity to deploy his full squad. However right now, looking at the numbers we are posting, there should be no surprise in the fact we are slipping towards mid-table.

“Breath of fresh air” was just bullshit spouted by the owner that everyone seemed to believe!!

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Maybe Houghton wouldn't  have arranged a meaningless behind doors friendly that Baker over exerted himself in. Maybe Houghton wouldn't have picked Weimann and would've  had him sat on the bench behind Wells and Martin. Maybe Houghton, or the team he brought with him, would have handled Williams' injury differently. Maybe he wouldn't  have bothered loaning Mawson and his busted knees at all. Maybe he'd have kept Eliasson, loaned in Knockaert, played 433 with Wells up top and not bothered getting Martin. 

And so on.

Your assumption that everything would have been exactly the same, bar Houghton standing in the dugout instead of Holden, is ridiculous. 

All very plausible to be fair

7 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

And so on.

What do you think Hughton might have done?

11 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

But maybe he would. None of us know so all a bit pointless speculating.

1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

Spoke with a London accent.

Razzle dazzle

Absolutely pointless comparing other managers or other imaginary scenarios had someone else been appointed.

Fact is the Hughton ship has sailed - talking about how he is doing at Forest is just another in a line of excuses to somehow make us seem better - but frankly how shit Forest are or not has nothing to do with how shit we are or not.

Let's concentrate on our club - and the question is, does our manager have the team playing better than the sum of it's parts? Does the manager have us building and progressing towards the play-offs? Is the manager delivering his promised brand or even identity (Identity...remember when that was all people talked about with LJ?!) of football? (And I guess what is really an acceptable league position this season?)

For me, too many answers are 'no' right now and look around, all the teams around us won today I believe and we're heading towards that crunch Christmas period where the fixtures separate the men from the boys and we currently look like we need to do some growing up quickly if we don't want to slip out of contention very quickly.

3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

But maybe he would. None of us know so all a bit pointless speculating.

Razzle dazzle

Can we then agree that the reams of posts using Hughtons current bad run as a mechanism to defend the football under Holden at the moment are also pointless then?  

What is really frustrating is we have players in the squad - both fit and not quite fit, who can play exciting football - it just seems the tactics are so so negative that any creativity has been drummed out of them.

You inky have to look at the way Han Noah played in his first three games or so, and how he plays now - he must be wondering why his style of play doesn’t fit!

Come on “coaching team” try to be expansive and exciting - a lot of fans would rather see attacking football and lose by the odd goal than what we saw today!

30 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

“Breath of fresh air” was just bullshit spouted by the owner that everyone seemed to believe!!

I don't believe the bullshit spouted by the owner and his cohorts. But gulliblely hoped he might have been right and Holden might have been something new and an upgrade on LJ. A manager bursting to show us what he could do. But as usual I should have realised it was all a dream. The reality is a trainee  manager who gets it wrong and doesn't know how to put it right which reminds me of his previous boss. 

39 minutes ago, lenred said:

Can we then agree that the reams of posts using Hughtons current bad run as a mechanism to defend the football under Holden at the moment are also pointless then?  

Of course, the two are in no way related 

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Our owner is an egotist that runs us like a nutter. We're completely unstable. I think this is why we under achieve - because if you're  a big-shot off the pitch (and also have delusions of grandeur) it affects how the team performs. Imo being interested in the club off the pitch, rather than just buying all the land for expensive homes and offices to sell gives City the best chance of take off. Of course, you also have to  if appoint the right manager. Which we haven't.  

FTFY

4 hours ago, Globe Trotter said:

Agree with Fordy and would add that Holden is effectively learning on the job in the head coach / managing role which, especially in such a competitive league, is no easy thing to do.

He has said the right thing about wanting 90 goals and playing attacking football etc but ultimately when you’re the man whose reputation / job is at stake as number 1 you may resort to defensive and duller football to play it ‘safe’ and go against your own principles. 

This is probably true and is why it is absolutely criminal that he was appointed in the first place. To think how hard this club has fought to come back from our last relegation from this division to bounce back and consolidate once again but this time with excellent facilities to then appoint such a novice completely boils my piss.

Fair to say not meny here wanted DH (me included), more so after the 'breath of fresh air' speech. So he started on a negative. Up until now the team performance has been less important as we were all happy with early season points tally (I still am) but given the initial disapproval and the poor football he simply has to win every other game to keep people off his back. I can't see it lasting but there's no real sense people wanting him out already. 1. They won't sack him untill were in the relegation zone or don't get playoffs on his second season. 2. We shouldn't sack managers too quickly, or we won't get decent replacements. 3. We have a few quality impactful players out, judge him at the end of season. 

Archived