IGNORED

Was top 2 this season a pipe dream?

Mr Popodopolous

23 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yes, Ayew is on £80k a week, they had Bony stuck with them on £100k a week at one point, too.

They have been trying to offload Ayew since they got relegated, he had a spell in Turkey but the club there sent him back.

Makes me laugh when I hear pundits say he is class at Championship level, seeing as he will often be marked by defenders on £5k..

I think he's a bit of an outlier in that sense, don't think they've been massive payers at this level widely post relegation. Happy to check their wage bill of course..2018/19 the most recent accounts.

Always had him down as the more naturally talented of the two Ayews tbh, bit surprised to see Jordan doing okay at a higher level.

Just had a quick look at their consolidated accounts for that season.

Total wage bill £50.3m. Inclusive of all staff, pension costs, tax on wages etc.

Think ours in 2018/19 again consolidated accounts was around £30m?

Their wage bill will surely have dropped further between then and now. Ours? Dunno.

I'm sorry but who was thinking of top 2? When Holden was appointed I was thinking 12th-18th and that still my prediction, based on the football I've seen I'm not changing it. How on earth we are 7th is beyond me, I don't think we've played one good game of football all season. Every time we win it's always a "robbery" type of performance.

Top 2 isn't a pipe dream, its a fictional fantasy. 

I think it was unrealistic to expect a top two finish. None of the clubs who came down this time were a basket case.

On the plus side if the three teams who come down go back up, time ticks off other teams parachute payments so it might be easier next year to challenge.

I'd happily take top 12 if we had some obvious style of play and had more than one shot on target across 90 minutes.

Doesn't feel like thats happened often the last 18 months. Nor can I recall a game where I'd say we really dominated the opposition.

By comparison I can recall plenty of games where we've played, frankly, pretty turgid stuff, yet somehow come away with a point or three. We need a philosophy from top to bottom.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think he's a bit of an outlier in that sense, don't think they've been massive payers at this level widely post relegation. Happy to check their wage bill of course..2018/19 the most recent accounts.

Always had him down as the more naturally talented of the two Ayews tbh, bit surprised to see Jordan doing okay at a higher level.

Just had a quick look at their consolidated accounts for that season.

Total wage bill £50.3m. Inclusive of all staff, pension costs, tax on wages etc.

Think ours in 2018/19 again consolidated accounts was around £30m?

Their wage bill will surely have dropped further between then and now. Ours? Dunno.

I would imagine their wage bill will have stayed around the same.  Not many signings, but lots of loans.  Brewster wouldn’t have been a cheap loan last season, etc.  The likelihood (rumours) is that they offered Korey a far better deal than what he was on here (albeit we didn’t offer him anything).

14 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Perhaps this is just pessimism talking.

This isn't necessarily a reflection on Holden, and it's a long season. Plenty can change.

However, was it a bit of a pipe dream? Often one club can fall as they come down and it can be a big one, another can slide towards somewhere between midtable and playoff race and one is competing high up the top.

However Norwich look strong, in some ways stronger than two years ago albeit not invincible. Bournemouth are clicking and Watford are strong but more mixed away from home.

Importantly, they have lost less players than expected. This makes a big difference.

Brentford will still be quite strong though less so than last season in some ways.

I digress though, are the relegated 3 sides just too strong?

Top 2 was never going to be realistic regardless of manager. We have a playoff squad at best

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I would imagine their wage bill will have stayed around the same.  Not many signings, but lots of loans.  Brewster wouldn’t have been a cheap loan last season, etc.  The likelihood (rumours) is that they offered Korey a far better deal than what he was on here (albeit we didn’t offer him anything).

Would be interesting to see- Brewster, Guehi and Gallagher all joined for half a season, but otoh Surridge went back and a number left in January.

Just looking at Wiki though, Bony- gone, was mentioned at £100k per week. Fer, Narsingh, Olsson- all out of contract, all signed in PL. They may have made a number of loans but they also loaned out players such as Montero, Asoro, McKay- all signed either in PL or first season down.

Tom Carroll probably wasn't on a low wage either. He left in Januiary 2020, maybe some kinda mutual settlement but though it'd come under wages and FFP, that if anything is what Parachute Payments should be used for- not strengthening.

"The hopes we had, were much too high/ Way out of reach but we had to try.

The game will never be o-o-over/'cause Deano's keeping the dream alive.

No need to hide no need to run/'cause all the answers (games, surely?)come one by one.

The game will never be o-o-over/Because Dean's keeping the dream alive."

Sing it Otibs, you miserable moaning *********s!

Surely everyone knew that the 4 game winning run at the start was the embodiment of a "Flash in the Pan'  We were/are never good/lucky enough to sustain that start.  I was just pleased we had 12 points in the bag to stave off the possibility of relegation!  The best i always believed, and nothing has happened to change my mind, is 6th.  Our January business,or lack of?, and the return of Mawson, Baker, William and Walsh will have a crucial bearing on the rest of this season IMHO?

55 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Would be interesting to see- Brewster, Guehi and Gallagher all joined for half a season, but otoh Surridge went back and a number left in January.

Just looking at Wiki though, Bony- gone, was mentioned at £100k per week. Fer, Narsingh, Olsson- all out of contract, all signed in PL. They may have made a number of loans but they also loaned out players such as Montero, Asoro, McKay- all signed either in PL or first season down.

Tom Carroll probably wasn't on a low wage either. He left in Januiary 2020, maybe some kinda mutual settlement but though it'd come under wages and FFP, that if anything is what Parachute Payments should be used for- not strengthening.

Yet bizarrely the fans who appear have some knowledge are putting the state of their pitch,  in part at least down to cost cutting with regards to ground staff / contracts

4 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Yet bizarrely the fans who appear have some knowledge are putting the state of their pitch,  in part at least down to cost cutting with regards to ground staff / contracts

I think they have likely been cutting back, but without their accounts its impossible to say.

I remember reading somewhere online a while ago that their US investors, actually didn't want to invest that much at all.

Thinking about it, sure I read something about their academy or training ground- one of them anyway, reduced expenditure or cutbacks.

Ah, here we are.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54005266

Archived