IGNORED

Stuart McCall sacked (again) by Bradford

Lanterne Rouge

Bit like Celtic with Lennon/Strachan. They get sacked but end up going back there in the same position eventually, before the inevitable happens again.

You've sacked the manager once, why would it be any different the second/third/fourth time around. At least at Celtic they can pedal the old "not won a trophy this year etc" and have an excuse to get rid. Second time around wins loads and all is forgotten, not sure what the excuse is at Bradford or how he keeps getting employed there.

20 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Might be a job for Chris Wilder, he's got to be on borrowed time with Sheffield Utd.....another defeat today, no goals scored (again), 1 pt from a possible 36 this season....staring down a barrel.

Although he lives in that part of the world I can’t imagine him managing Bradford. If he gets the sack there will be plenty of Championship and good League 1 clubs who would want him on

23 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

David Dunn: Barrow part company with manager - BBC Sport

Another one gone. Transfer window is looming I suppose so the timing makes sense.

With finances as they are & wage caps in place, I can’t imagine much being done in the transfer window in the lower divisions, not that the manager would be involved in anyway.

10 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

With finances as they are & wage caps in place, I can’t imagine much being done in the transfer window in the lower divisions, not that the manager would be involved in anyway.

I don`t know - I would think the manager has even more input at that level. I suspect it`s more that the owners don`t want him signing players (loans & frees is all it would be admittedly) that a new boss won`t want/rate.

56 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I don`t know - I would think the manager has even more input at that level. I suspect it`s more that the owners don`t want him signing players (loans & frees is all it would be admittedly) that a new boss won`t want/rate.

I would suggest it’s highly unlikely a selling club will get what they want for any player & as a result of that any buying club will pay the fees required.

The only real opportunity may be where players are going to be out of contract in the summer & their club really don’t want to lose him for nothing but they are unlikely to get much at that level, especially for the reasons given in my original response. Clubs have lost huge percentages of their income throughout football & about the only ones unlikely to notice it are those in the Premier League because of their tv deals.

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Not too long ago Bradford City were having a reasonable stint in the prem, even in the third tier they were pulling 20 k crowds. Now there's a real chance of non-league. How the "mighty" have fallen !

True, but weren't their STs remarkably cheap, thereby skewing the figures somewhat ?

5 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Might be a job for Chris Wilder, he's got to be on borrowed time with Sheffield Utd.....another defeat today, no goals scored (again), 1 pt from a possible 36 this season....staring down a barrel.

Sheffield Utd are doing exactly what Norwich did - recognising that relegation is not the end of the world, that sacking a manager causes more upheaval than it's  worth, and that believing in the current coach and keeping things stable off the pitch gives a club the best chance of bouncing back to the Prem asap if relegation actually happens. (Sheffield U seem nailed on tbf)

Norwich learnt from Delia's "let's be having you" moment, which was actually counter productive. Last season they kept Delia off the pitch and away from the microphone (bcfc take note) and put their faith in the coach - if it takes a few yo-yo years before Norwich establish themselves in the Prem then so be it seems to be their plan. Stability as much as possible above short term stay up at all costs. 

by not wasting multi millions on nearly brilliant players last season,norwich have to be one of the most comfortable teams in the championship financially this year with a really good squad of championship players teady for another poke at the prem and parachute payments to fund it

13 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

True, but weren't their STs remarkably cheap, thereby skewing the figures somewhat ?

Yes, well aware of the deals, but even so it's pretty impressive. I'm old enough to remember the 60's when BOTH Bradford sides were bumping along the bottom of Division 4 and they barely mustered 6k between them.

12 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

by not wasting multi millions on nearly brilliant players last season,norwich have to be one of the most comfortable teams in the championship financially this year with a really good squad of championship players teady for another poke at the prem and parachute payments to fund it

Norwich were in big financial trouble the year they got promoted. If they hadn’t gone up they were looking to be in serious trouble!

So I’m not sure how healthy things would be now at Norwich, assuming they cleared their debts off & now with the current financial climate. Although they should clearly be in a better place than they were 2 years ago.

Archived