My team versus Millwall

Curr Avon

2 hours ago, AG City said:

442 for me ?

BENTLEY

HUNT          VYNER           KALAS         ROWE

SEMENYO      NAGY         BAKINSON       O'DOWDA

WELLS        DIEDHIOU

Please, Please.............can O'Dither be left out for once, but other than that    it's not a bad team?  Though to be fair, O'Dither should be good and   fit...........considering   he had such a good rest against Rotherham?         

17 hours ago, GrahamC said:

In our last four we have won, then lost, then won, then lost.

Both defeats were with a side that was unchanged from the game before, so rotation only appears to have be seen as a last resort.

After Friday we do finally have a break with no game for 8 days, so I really hope we maximise what we have available to us, though personally I think starting with Edwards would be a huge gamble.

For me Mariappa, Brunt & Diedhiou should definitely all start, Massengo & Moore (the only other 2 subs with any sort of experience) possibly should.

Semenyo & O’Dowda badly need a rest, Martin does, too. Bakinson appears to be not far enough progressed in his fitness to play consecutive games. We could only leave those 4 out by going to a back 3, Vyner or Moore is then a toss up for the last place.

Bentley

Hunt Vyner Mariappa Kalas Rowe 

Massengo Nagy Brunt

Wells Diedhiou 

Brunt and Rowe the same sude of the pitch? Not much pace there.

2 hours ago, WECANDO said:

Brunt and Rowe the same sude of the pitch? Not much pace there.

With Dasilva injured again & O’Dowda in desperate need of a break I am not exactly sure what the alternatives are.

O’Dowda will probably start again tomorrow though, after 11 consecutive starts look completely knackered & some on here will then moan about him.

Probably those who “can’t wait” for Walsh to return.. 

30 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

With Dasilva injured again & O’Dowda in desperate need of a break I am not exactly sure what the alternatives are.

O’Dowda will probably start again tomorrow though, after 11 consecutive starts look completely knackered & some on here will then moan about him.

Probably those who “can’t wait” for Walsh to return.. 

We can easily rest O’Dowda if he’s fatigued and we don’t have to to start Brunt either.....

Bentley

⬇️Hunt | Mariappa | Moore | Kalas | Rowe⬇️

Nagy | Bakinson | Massengo

Wells | Diedhiou

I’d be totally happy to see this tomorrow night, gives us Vyner to cover the right side of defence.  O’Dowda can cover LWB if need be (not ideal, but hey-ho), Brunt the other midfield option, whilst allowing Semenyo to go back to his impact sub role.  Martin to cover Fam as he tires.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We can easily rest O’Dowda if he’s fatigued and we don’t have to to start Brunt either.....

Bentley

Wells | Diedhiou

I’d be totally happy to see this tomorrow night, gives us Vyner to cover the right side of defence.  O’Dowda can cover LWB if need be (not ideal, but hey-ho), Brunt the other midfield option, whilst allowing Semenyo to go back to his impact sub role.  Martin to cover Fam as he tires.

The creativity in that team is not good.  Might be fine for a one off battle though 

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Bentley

Wells | Diedhiou

Based on Saturday I don’t think Bakinson is anywhere near fit enough to start tomorrow.

In a collectively poor performance I thought he looked even further off the pace than anyone bar the equally shattered Semenyo.

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

The creativity in that team is not good.  Might be fine for a one off battle though 

Not sure the creativity has been great with creative players picked ? in fairness has it?  Creativity doesn’t have to come from “flair players”.

Until we can establish some form of possession based football over the half-way line, we are gonna continue to play transitional, individual based bolloxy football.  Bolloxy is a technical term!! ?

That type of football has been “hopeful”.  If we are gonna play hopeful football, I’d rather hit diags up to Fam and get Wells running off of him and our midfield trying to break beyond theirs and get our wingbacks high.  Bakinson has showed he can slide a full back in, can advance into the box, etc if we are gonna try and pass into their third..  

37 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Based on Saturday I don’t think Bakinson is anywhere near fit enough to start tomorrow.

In a collectively poor performance I thought he looked even further off the pace than anyone bar the equally shattered Semenyo.

I still think Saturday was more lack of application of some players over fatigue. Psychologically more tiring chasing back than forward too.

If he is genuinely knackered then I’d go:

Massengo | Nagy | Brunt

Against a Millwall midfield of:

S.Williams | Wood | Leonard

Not exactly creative either.  Woods is a short passer from deep, Williams is a solid midfielder and Leonard I don’t know much about.

Has anyone seen Towler play and think he could step up to the first team? As far as I know he’s a ball playing, left sided centre back which is exactly what we need, especially if we play a 3. Im not calling for him to start as I’ve never seen him play but wondered if those that have would feel confident throwing him in? 

1 hour ago, Bobbie said:

Has anyone seen Towler play and think he could step up to the first team? As far as I know he’s a ball playing, left sided centre back which is exactly what we need, especially if we play a 3. Im not calling for him to start as I’ve never seen him play but wondered if those that have would feel confident throwing him in? 

He's one I've seen play a number of times,and alongside Vince Harper & Louis Britton that IMO have a bright future in the game..

He has to start somewhere someday,, but whether that's today??......

I'd be excited to see him given his chance but unsure this is the right game.

15 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

He's one I've seen play a number of times,and alongside Vince Harper & Louis Britton that IMO have a bright future in the game..

Possibly one for FA Cup?  But you’re right, you have to give them their opportunity at some point.

On 13/12/2020 at 19:13, Curr Avon said:

I'm still not expecting Pato to be fit and expect (probably?) a return to 3-5-2.

Bentley

Mariappa Moore Kalas

Edwards Bakinson Nagy Brunt O'Dowda

Wells Diedhiou

After reading numerous posts on the forum over the past few weeks I'm going with:

Not Needed

----            ----              ----

----    Walsh     ----    Williams    ----

----                  ----

City to win 7 nil

36 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Was thinking the same earlier, Towler's inclusion (or Bell's, or even both) would greatly increase my appetite for the game.

Problem is the best time to introduce a youngster is when the majority of the team are playing reasonably well, in a settled formation, and each player knows exactly what he's doing.

Then the youngster can just slot in with experienced, in form regulars helping him along. If a number of experienced players around him are playing poorly, and the team as a whole is faltering - like right now - he's got much less chance of impressing.

Btw, I understand Towler was always a midfield player until switching to defence fairly recently - maybe as a trial?

Which position have you mostly seen him play in, and which position do you think will end up being his best?

With regards to Towler surely the judgement here has to be at what point does flogging the same small group of players (the likes of Semenyo, Nagy, Martin, O’Dowda) game after game become counterproductive & giving a youngster a chance makes more sense?

I do accept that our injury list makes it difficult but Holden has gone for the unchanged option far too often for me.

Before we even get to Towler it surely makes sense to make greater use of Massengo, who has half a season’s worth of games at this level under his belt, yet got 8 minutes on Saturday in a game that had long gone.

Famara & Mariappa have also been under-utilised of late for me, too.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

With regards to Towler surely the judgement here has to be at what point does flogging the same small group of players (the likes of Semenyo, Nagy, Martin, O’Dowda) game after game become counterproductive & giving a youngster a chance makes more sense?

I do accept that our injury list makes it difficult but Holden has gone for the unchanged option far too often for me.

Before we even get to Towler it surely makes sense to make greater use of Massengo, who has half a season’s worth of games at this level under his belt, yet got 8 minutes on Saturday in a game that had long gone.

Absolutely, unless Bakinson is fully fit (he didn;t look it v Rotherham) then play Massengo with Nagy - please lets not see Brunt back in the starting 11. 

For me, 3-5-2, with Wells & Martin/Fammy up top, Semenyo on the bench.

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Problem is given our league position it could be a gamble too far trying out the youngsters unless injuries dictate otherwise. I fully expect to see them in cup games though.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Was thinking the same earlier, Towler's inclusion (or Bell's, or even both) would greatly increase my appetite for the game.

Problem is the best time to introduce a youngster is when the majority of the team are playing reasonably well, in a settled formation, and each player knows exactly what he's doing.

Then the youngster can just slot in with experienced, in form regulars helping him along. If a number of experienced players around him are playing poorly, and the team as a whole is faltering - like right now - he's got much less chance of impressing.

Btw, I understand Towler was always a midfield player until switching to defence fairly recently - maybe as a trial?

Which position have you mostly seen him play in, and which position do you think will end up being his best?

Left centre back...

Very calm/composed & can play - ..good 'on the ball'...

Better with play in front of him.

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Bentley

Wells | Diedhiou

I'd be happy with this, with the exception of Martin starting instead of Fam.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Indeed.  Think there has been two occasions where most fans thought he do anything but go unchanged:

1. after Barnsley / pre-Boro (bar Bentley coming back in) - with Swansea / AFCB / Norwich in quick succession
  2. after Blackburn / pre-Rotherham - with Millwall and Preston coming up

He explained 1. as he thought the players woukd be ok after an international break (before the Barnsley) game, but he’d learn from this as they were a bit flat v Boro.

I don’t think he did learn.

In some respects Hunt and Vyner only had 45 on Saturday, Bakinson 63, but I don’t believe that was the plan.

That’s a little negative mark for me.

I think many of us thought that Rotherham would also be right for Mariappa and Diedhiou.  Having said that I think they are right tonight too.  But with their lighter workloads playing Sat / Tues would be ok anyway for those two.

Agree re Massengo, he’s gonna need minutes to have a semblance of sharpness when he is really needed.  I thought he did okay when he came on, although Gilmartin blamed him for an awful lay-off from Martin.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think Martin needs a rest. Generally though, Martin alongside Wells would be my go-to pairing.

Close call. Hoping Martin would be experienced and professional enough to tell Holden whether he was 100% ready to go or not, although footballers will generally be footballers in this regard. He did look a bit out of sorts last time out.  

Just now, Red7 said:

Close call. Hoping Martin would be experienced and professional enough to tell Holden whether he was 100% ready to go or not, although footballers will generally be footballers in this regard. He did look a bit out of sorts last time out.  

I think he’s struggled for quite a few games now, but I think that’s generally because from a pressing / with the ball perspective he’s got nobody close to him to work with.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think he’s struggled for quite a few games now, but I think that’s generally because from a pressing / with the ball perspective he’s got nobody close to him to work with.

Certainly didn't look like the right set-up to me when Martin was central and isolated, and Wells was out wider. Not really playing to any of their main strengths.
Fingers crossed for tonight, whichever set-up we choose. COYR!

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

Left centre back...

Very calm/composed & can play - ..good 'on the ball'...

Better with play in front of him.

Cheers.

The plus points you describe could equally be seen as attributes to the midfield player he apparently was seen as until recently.

Perhaps he has matured physically a lot in the last year, thereby being seen to have more future as a CB - i.e. better able now to compete in the air?

Early days but sounds like the club may feel they have a potential Webster in the making.

Archived