IGNORED

AG photo 1990

Offside

I saw this pic earlier on fb. I think it’s from the 4-2 win v Blackburn in the first game of the season after we got promoted in 1990. Some great goals that day. 

I used to love those floodlights. And the old Open End was deceptively big - the shallow rake made it look smaller than it was. 

D1EEED13-9D16-4E50-9B27-2920EBACC25F.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Offside said:

I saw this pic earlier on fb. I think it’s from the 4-2 win v Blackburn in the first game of the season after we got promoted in 1990. Some great goals that day. 

I used to love those floodlights. And the old Open End was deceptively big - the shallow rake made it look smaller than it was. 

I was in the East End for that game. Very entertaining if I recall

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Proper summer that was, flares made a comeback.

One blackburn fans wearing dungaress.

Ive wore some pretty bad clothes in my time, but ive never stooped that low.

I thought "I remember the 1990s and I never wore clothes like that"!

Then I realised they are Blackburn fans so it's really the 1950s.

I do miss the old ground!

We often used to stand in that part of open end even though it was the away section. As you can see from the picture the rest of the ground was rammed and as we used to roll out of the Cooper's at 10 to 3 it was usually the only turnstile with no queues. The corner part between the entrance and Dolman was home to quite a few (non hooli) City regulars.

7 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I do miss the old ground!

We often used to stand in that part of open end even though it was the away section. As you can see from the picture the rest of the ground was rammed and as we used to roll out of the Cooper's at 10 to 3 it was usually the only turnstile with no queues. The corner part between the entrance and Dolman was home to quite a few (non hooli) City regulars.

Yeh, miss it also TBH.

Went in the away end a few times also when the Dolman queue was massive at 2.50pm.
What I remember (quite fondly) was just how loud the home sections were when you were stood there as an “away fan”. The way the old ground was built, all the noise would descend on that away end. Great memories of the old ground.

Was there when only 5Kish were turning up in the old Div 4. But those 5K made a lot more noise that the 25K that normally go nowadays - weird!

13 hours ago, Offside said:

I was in the open end for this game (the other end though), I’ve got the programme in the loft!  I remember it being very hot!

1 hour ago, archie andrews said:

Also the 'crowd' that day was circ 15k.....some very well off gatemen around at that time...... 

when you think many of us will have been in there with 37/38000 crowds for Liverpool , Leeds , Liverpool it used to make me laugh when they gave out the crowds as ‘15000’ in those days - good luck trying to squeeze another 22000 in !!  

Archived