IGNORED

AG photo 1990

Offside

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

when you think many of us will have been in there with 37/38000 crowds for Liverpool , Leeds , Liverpool it used to make me laugh when they gave out the crowds as ‘15000’ in those days - good luck trying to squeeze another 22000 in !!  

Half price, jump over the turnstile ?

8 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Proper summer that was, flares made a comeback.

One blackburn fans wearing dungaress.

Ive wore some pretty bad clothes in my time, but ive never stooped that low.

Blackburn fans were still wearing flares and dungarees from the 70s by this time, fashion hadnt reached them by 1990.

im pretty sure i was there, I remember nicky morgan scoring at least 1? Perhaps thats a later season?!

7 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Blackburn fans were still wearing flares and dungarees from the 70s by this time, fashion hadnt reached them by 1990.

im pretty sure i was there, I remember nicky morgan scoring at least 1? Perhaps thats a later season?!

Not to pee on anyone’s chips but flares and to a much lesser extent dungarees were very much in fashion in 1990 in the acid house / Manchester / free party scene, which the youth of Blackburn were very much part of. 

16 hours ago, Offside said:

I saw this pic earlier on fb. I think it’s from the 4-2 win v Blackburn in the first game of the season after we got promoted in 1990. Some great goals that day. 

I used to love those floodlights. And the old Open End was deceptively big - the shallow rake made it look smaller than it was. 

D1EEED13-9D16-4E50-9B27-2920EBACC25F.jpeg

Can't believe people had to stand up, how primitive but cost-effective I guess, just lean against that bar.  

15 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

Can't believe people had to stand up, how primitive but cost-effective I guess, just lean against that bar.  

( I say this with absolute respect and thoughts to those lost at Hillsborough RIP)

But you missed the very best football days in terms of experience 

Nothing , nothing could match the buzz or noise of a packed terrace 

8 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Very true indeed and sadly those days are gone......

However.......I certainly don’t miss crap and overpriced ‘food’ ( thankfully we had the Clark’s van) nor do I miss getting drenched on the open end and standing in piss when you went for a slash............:facepalm:..

18 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

My first game on the East End, beat Sunderland 4-3 not sure if I saw any of the goals, I was about 10.
Got near the middle and couldn't work out why Sunderland fans were there, it kicked off and they legged it across the pitch. Where they got attacked again by lads running on from the sides. Stupidly stood behind the barrier, which means you got crushed every time there was a surge. It was loud, smokey, difficult to stand let alone see and I absolutely loved it.

We stood on the same spot on the EE for years, nothing like it. 

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

Acid house and the “rave scene” helped to quell the FV problem at AG through the 90s as quite a few down the City started going to them. Everyone was just chilling out for a change.

Very true, everyone was hugging each other rather than punching each other ?

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

when you think many of us will have been in there with 37/38000 crowds for Liverpool , Leeds , Liverpool it used to make me laugh when they gave out the crowds as ‘15000’ in those days - good luck trying to squeeze another 22000 in !!  

I think Chelsea in the FA cup when we beat them 3-1 was the worst ever case of a crowd announcement of something like 23,700, the crowd burst into jeers and laughter as it was obvious the ground was nearly full and that was in the days it held well over 35,000.

1 minute ago, pillred said:

I think Chelsea in the FA cup when we beat them 3-1 was the worst ever case of a crowd announcement of something like 23,700, the crowd burst into jeers and laughter as it was obvious the ground was nearly full and that was in the days it held well over 35,000.

Don't know. Crowd was 24,000 iirc. Chelsea had 6000 across the whole of the Park End  (whereas in the 70s, 8 to 10,000 would've been permitted at both ends).

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

( I say this with absolute respect and thoughts to those lost at Hillsborough RIP)

Understand that but what happened at Hillsborough changed it for the better in my opinion (safety reasons),  I did attend some matches when we visited the old Twerton Park and much prefer seating now.

10 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

Understand that but what happened at Hillsborough changed it for the better in my opinion (safety reasons),  I did attend some matches when we visited the old Twerton Park and much prefer seating now.

If I had to sit down for 90 mins I wouldn’t go.

19 hours ago, Offside said:

I saw this pic earlier on fb. I think it’s from the 4-2 win v Blackburn in the first game of the season after we got promoted in 1990. Some great goals that day. 

I used to love those floodlights. And the old Open End was deceptively big - the shallow rake made it look smaller than it was. 

D1EEED13-9D16-4E50-9B27-2920EBACC25F.jpeg

Thanks for sharing . I loved those floodlights as well, especially night games , seeing them from miles away as a kid.

Best decade .  The music , the fashion , football with the lads . Brilliant. 

Archived