IGNORED

AG photo 1990

Offside

2 hours ago, LoyalRed said:

Understand that but what happened at Hillsborough changed it for the better in my opinion (safety reasons),  I did attend some matches when we visited the old Twerton Park and much prefer seating now.

It was probably the season after that photo was taken that the club decided to bolt seats onto the majority of the terraces of Ashton Gate.

Having spent every season for about the previous sixteen or seventeen years standing in roughly the same place in the Enclosure near the East End corner, I'll never forget that sinking feeling when I walked in for the first game of the shiny new 90s era. It was like the heart had been ripped out of the place. I was crestfallen.

Even though we've had plenty of deafeningly atmospheric moments since, and some great times following this brilliant football club, I really don't it's ever been the same since that day. 

15 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Not saying it’s not 1990 as it clearly is but I don’t remember the fences still being up post Hillsboro, when did we take them down?

I was an enclosure boy in those days so never really noticed.

I'm sure the fences weren't removed from the East End until they installed the seats the following season. In fact thinking about it, I don't believe they were removed from the Park End at all, right up until its demolition. 

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Don't know. Crowd was 24,000 iirc. Chelsea had 6000 across the whole of the Park End  (whereas in the 70s, 8 to 10,000 would've been permitted at both ends).

When I started in 1950, the club used to advertise that there was covered accommodation for 20,000.

This was before the Williams Stand was built and apart from the Covered End, the only other cover was the Cowshed, where Dolman is now, and that held only, circa, 500.

So 19,500 in the Covered End? Bit tight. But then I've been in Ashton Gate with 42,000 plus against Blackpool in 1958. And 38,000 against Liverpool in 1977.

9 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

When I started in 1950, the club used to advertise that there was covered accommodation for 20,000.

This was before the Williams Stand was built and apart from the Covered End, the only other cover was the Cowshed, where Dolman is now, and that held only, circa, 500.

So 19,500 in the Covered End? Bit tight. But then I've been in Ashton Gate with 42,000 plus against Blackpool in 1958. And 38,000 against Liverpool in 1977.

I was in the Dolman for the Liverpool game but read that the actual attendance was around 41,000 due to gates being pushed open. I never knew if that was true although the whole stadium looked absolutely rammed from the posh seats. ?

16 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I was in the Dolman for the Liverpool game but read that the actual attendance was around 41,000 due to gates being pushed open. I never knew if that was true although the whole stadium looked absolutely rammed from the posh seats. ?

You certainly couldn`t move in any direction in the East End unless you just let the surge take you.

Terrifying really looking back.

32 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Officially 38k v Southampton in the cup 4th round in '67 or '68 but didn't seem rammed.

My old man reckoned there was over 40k that day - I was a sprog so thought it was always like that :)

Southampton team was packed with internationals (Martin Chivers, Terry Paine, Ron Davies etc). Won 1-0 - Noddy Bush scored maybe ? Lost to Spurs in the 5th Round.

39 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

You certainly couldn`t move in any direction in the East End unless you just let the surge take you.

Terrifying really looking back.

Yeah  I was in the EE for that game. Always remember a bloke a having a piss where he was stood. Thinking about it he probably had no chance of getting to the toilets due to the crush. He managed to create a bit of space in front of him mind!

10 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

Great photo that. To be honest, the old ground had a lot more atmosphere than the “library” we had last few seasons. But we did see lots more shots on goal back in the 90s ?

That got more to do with the type of people who now go and watch football 

than the ground they sit in

4 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Don't know. Crowd was 24,000 iirc. Chelsea had 6000 across the whole of the Park End  (whereas in the 70s, 8 to 10,000 would've been permitted at both ends).

If there was 6,000 in the open end I was in the enclosure where it was so full you could have taken your feet of the floor and the rest of the ground looked pretty packed from where I was standing in those days 3 of us used to go together and try and guess the crowd the loser bought the drinks after the game, we all thought it was north of 30,000 after so many years going I had a pretty good Idea what the true crowd was and that day it wasn't 24,000.

Remember the 80's well. Most home games while we were in the old Div 3 we had average gates of 8,000. If it was against a local team probably around 10,000. The atmosphere created then knocks the spots off the drone that is created now. Ashton Gate realy was a Home stadium with a partisan crowd. Sadly i think those days are long gone.

30 minutes ago, richyy66 said:

Remember the 80's well. Most home games while we were in the old Div 3 we had average gates of 8,000. If it was against a local team probably around 10,000. The atmosphere created then knocks the spots off the drone that is created now. Ashton Gate realy was a Home stadium with a partisan crowd. Sadly i think those days are long gone.

For the really big occasions I think a good atmosphere will still be generated like Man u for example, but those games are few and far between, it would help if on occasion the team actually gave us something to shout about.

11 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

Yeh, miss it also TBH.

Went in the away end a few times also when the Dolman queue was massive at 2.50pm.
What I remember (quite fondly) was just how loud the home sections were when you were stood there as an “away fan”. The way the old ground was built, all the noise would descend on that away end. Great memories of the old ground.

Was there when only 5Kish were turning up in the old Div 4. But those 5K made a lot more noise that the 25K that normally go nowadays - weird!

I started in 1998, when we got about half of what's now-and then when we got say between 10-13k in League One- always felt that per capita 15-20 years back, the ground had more atmosphere then than now- I wasn't there in early 1990s or before but always thought the more modern a stand or ground, the less ideal it seems to be for atmosphere, in this country certainly. Maybe more variable aboard but that along with changing rules etc, yeah all plays a part!

Went to Roma-Inter in 2017 at Olimpico- felt a bit more raw than AG in 2017 certainly! Me and a mate, bit of the stand behind the goal as close as poss to the ultras in their (sealed off :laugh: )corner.

12 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Officially 38k v Southampton in the cup 4th round in '67 or '68 but didn't seem rammed.

My old man reckoned there was over 40k that day - I was a sprog so thought it was always like that :)

I was in the EE for that Saints game, biggest crowd I've been in at AG, got into the EE about 1pm and you couldn't move for the next 4 hours, no chance of a piss - just as well I was too young to drink.

The Spurs game at WHL we lost only after Tony Ford missed a twice taken penalty I seem to remember.

13 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

It was true, I got to AG about 6pm and the open end queues were out into Ashton Rd. The turnstiles were closed around 7 - I was one of huge numbers locked out but loads of Liverpool fans climbed the railings to get in and also climbed onto the roof of the turnstile building where they were pulling their mates up and into the ground. There was such a mass of bodies outside the turnstiles the stewards couldn't get through to stop them for some time. So the attendance was much greater than published.

Was discussing this era last night and how much we miss the excitement that we felt on a Saturday afternoon.

Those floodlights were iconic to me. You could see 4 corners of the ground in the sky from miles around.

We had terraces, proper 'ends'. However you wanted to watch a match you had a choice. Singing, dancing, surging, going '****** Mental' and stamping your fags out on the floor under your foot, and pissing against a wall in the East End, both ends of the Dolman for a sit down version. You knew things were starting to happen when you got the Williams Stand involved, you could happy clap if you wanted to, or take a chance on not getting soaked in the open end where you could always find space near the front.

You could pack them in for the big games and there was a real atmosphere. Pitch would cut up, crunching tackles, less injuries ('play on'), every referee was a manual manipulator or a bastard in the black.

Food would be a packet of crisps, bar of chocolate, bag of sweets, tea, coffee, soft drink or a good old Bovril (Not to drink, but just to prevent the frostbite!)

When we won possession we'd attack, get it out to the wide men, run at them, bodies in the box, goalmouth scrambles, you're shit aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Goal....surge....take 10 minutes to find your mates again whilst you were celebrating wildly with absolute strangers. What a buzz!

Now what have we got?......

A superb facility that looks impressive from the outside, but which no longer has 'ends'. Everyone sat down, mind numbing 'euro anthems', flag waving happy clappers, repetitive and mundane 'Bristol City' songs, sterile atmosphere, long periods of silence. Everything feels corporate, but the concourse is great for keeping dry and getting food / catching up with games around the country.

I recently watched the highlights of 89/90 - 90/91 on YouTube and it might just be my memory remembering things with a sense of warm nostalgia, but I can't for the life of me remember being as bored as I get now watching City? I can't recall seeing Newman pass to Pender, back to Newman, back to Pender, back to Newman, into Rennie, out to Smith, run to the by-line, back to Rennie, sideways to Shelton, back to Newman, sideways to Pender, interception, run at Leaning, goal for the opposition or corner, then more of the same mundane 'let's try to walk the ball into the net' or play for 20 minutes without any penetration whatsoever garbage?

If we were 1 or 2 nil down we would be trying to chase the game, not play like we were 3-0 up trying to defend our lead. We could mix it up, roll our sleeves up and get stuck in. If we were crap the fans would let the team know before giving them a 'Come on' roar!!

For me, the football experience is safer nowadays, but it has completely lost its heart, passion and soul.

I'm just pleased that I was lucky enough to experience those times and all the excitement that came with it!

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

I was in the EE for that Saints game, biggest crowd I've been in at AG, got into the EE about 1pm and you couldn't move for the next 4 hours, no chance of a piss - just as well I was too young to drink.

The Spurs game at WHL we lost only after Tony Ford missed a twice taken penalty I seem to remember.

Chris Crowe missed one of them, if we're thinking of the same game - Jimmy Greaves 2 City 0?  

10 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

Was discussing this era last night and how much we miss the excitement that we felt on a Saturday afternoon.

Those floodlights were iconic to me. You could see 4 corners of the ground in the sky from miles around.

We had terraces, proper 'ends'. However you wanted to watch a match you had a choice. Singing, dancing, surging, going '****** Mental' and stamping your fags out on the floor under your foot, and pissing against a wall in the East End, both ends of the Dolman for a sit down version. Getting some of the Williams Stand involved, you could happy clap if you wanted to, or take a chance on not getting soaked in the open end where you could always find space near the front.

You could pack them in for the big games and there was a real atmosphere. Pitch would cut up, crunching tackles, less injuries ('play on'), every referee was a manual manipulator or a bastard in the black.

Food would be a packet of crisps, bar of chocolate, bag of sweets, tea, coffee, soft drink or a good old Bovril (Not to drink, but just to prevent the frostbite!)

When we won possession we'd attack, get it out to the wide men, run at them, bodies in the box, goalmouth scrambles, you're shit aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Goal....surge....take 10 minutes to find your mates again whilst you were celebrating wildly with absolute strangers. What a buzz!

A superb facility that looks impressive from the outside, but which no longer has 'ends'. Everyone sat down, mind numbing 'euro anthems', flag waving happy clappers, repetitive and mundane 'Bristol City' songs, sterile atmosphere, long periods of silence. Everything feels corporate, but the concourse it great for keeping dry and getting food / catching up with games around the country.

I recently watched the highlights of 89/90 - 90/91 on YouTube and it might just be my memory remembering things with a sense of warm nostalgia, but I can't for the life of me remember being as bored as I get now watching City. I can't recall seeing Newman pass to Pender, back to Newman, back to Pender, back to Newman, into Rennie, out to Smith, run to the by-line, back to Rennie, sideways to Shelton, back to Newman, sideways to Pender, interception, run at Leaning, goal for the opposition or corner, then more of the same mundane 'let's try to walk the ball into the net' or play for 20 minutes without any penetration whatsoever garbage.

If we were 1 or 2 nil down we would be trying to chase the game, not play like we were 3-0 up trying to defend our lead. We could mix it up, roll our sleeves up and get stuck in. If we were crap the fans would let the team know before giving them a 'Come on' roar!!

For me, the football experience is safer nowadays, but it has completely lost it's heart, passion and soul.

I'm just pleased that I was lucky enough to experience those times and all the excitement that came with it!

Brilliant post , well written , and took me back .....

* following England likewise , became ‘trendy’ after Euro 96 and a totally different and poorer experience

14 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

We had terraces, proper 'ends'. However you wanted to watch a match you had a choice. Singing, dancing, surging, going '****** Mental' and stamping your fags out on the floor under your foot, and pissing against a wall in the East End, both ends of the Dolman for a sit down version. Getting some of the Williams Stand involved, you could happy clap if you wanted to, or take a chance on not getting soaked in the open end where you could always find space near the front.

A superb facility that looks impressive from the outside, but which no longer has 'ends'. Everyone sat down, mind numbing 'euro anthems', flag waving happy clappers, repetitive and mundane 'Bristol City' songs, sterile atmosphere, long periods of silence. Everything feels corporate, but the concourse it great for keeping dry and getting food / catching up with games around the country.

I recently watched the highlights of 89/90 - 90/91 on YouTube and it might just be my memory remembering things with a sense of warm nostalgia, but I can't for the life of me remember being as bored as I get now watching City. I can't recall seeing Newman pass to Pender, back to Newman, back to Pender, back to Newman, into Rennie, out to Smith, run to the by-line, back to Rennie, sideways to Shelton, back to Newman, sideways to Pender, interception, run at Leaning, goal for the opposition or corner, then more of the same mundane 'let's try to walk the ball into the net' or play for 20 minutes without any penetration whatsoever garbage.

For me, the football experience is safer nowadays, but it has completely lost it's heart, passion and soul.

Well said.  It’s chalk and cheese, and almost like supporting a different sport in the last 5 / 10 years.  It’s ‘entertainment’ now.   Pretty sure I’d not fall quite so much in love with City and  football as a whole if I was a young ‘un these days but everything is of it’s time I guess so maybe I would. 

Two times i recall the roof coming off without a goal.

When jacki first came back to see us at half time, against brentford, was a rainy night game, not many there, 8 to 9.

The roof came off when he came out.

Another time somebody on here reminded me paul allen making 3, 50 50 challenges then a sweet pass.

A meaty challenge, could get the same reaction as a goal then.

When the crowd was on form, you could see away teams crumble.

Just now, lenred said:

Well said.  It’s chalk and cheese, and almost like supporting a different sport in the last 5 / 10 years.  It’s ‘entertainment’ now  Pretty sure I’d not fall quite so much in love with City and  football as a whole if I was a young ‘un these days but everything is of it’s time I guess so maybe I would. 

It’s as a mate , who stopped going post all seater said ‘It’s like going to the bloody theatre’

He was right - it’s now a watch with occasional crowd participation

For most of my lifetime , thankfully , the crowd were very much part of and linked to the game

The whole experience , atmosphere , stood in a familiar spot with mates , even the weather 

@Gert Mare summed up the experiences , and differences beautifully 

As you say times moved on and we won’t be going back , and SL will understandably point to the number of bums on seats and overall income

Like Gert I’m so grateful I experienced the 70s and 80s both with City and England

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

Well said.  It’s chalk and cheese, and almost like supporting a different sport in the last 5 / 10 years.  It’s ‘entertainment’ now.   Pretty sure I’d not fall quite so much in love with City and  football as a whole if I was a young ‘un these days but everything is of it’s time I guess so maybe I would. 

It's supposed to be 'entertainment', but personally I'm not feeling entertained. I don't get that buzz anymore. I sit there at times wanting to scream because it is so sterile both on and off the pitch.

Agree with you 100% about the changing times. Some aspects have been for the better mind you, pointless hooliganism and racism, but as a whole I'd take yesteryear over today in a heartbeat!

4 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

It’s as a mate , who stopped going post all seater said ‘It’s like going to the bloody theatre’

He was right - it’s now a watch with occasional crowd participation

For most of my lifetime , thankfully , the crowd were very much part of and linked to the game

The whole experience , atmosphere , stood in a familiar spot with mates , even the weather 

@Gert Mare summed up the experiences , and differences beautifully 

As you say times moved on and we won’t be going back , and SL will understandably point to the number of bums on seats and overall income

Like Gert I’m so grateful I experienced the 70s and 80s both with City and England

Thank you :)

I guess I was just replaying the memories stored in my head.

The worrying thing is that I don't remember things recently with the same vivid fondness!

Perhaps I'm just getting old?! ?

1 hour ago, Gert Mare said:

We had terraces, proper 'ends'. However you wanted to watch a match you had a choice. Singing, dancing, surging, going '****** Mental' and stamping your fags out on the floor under your foot, and pissing against a wall in the East End, both ends of the Dolman for a sit down version. You knew things were starting to happen when you got the Williams Stand involved, you could happy clap if you wanted to, or take a chance on not getting soaked in the open end where you could always find space near the front.

A superb facility that looks impressive from the outside, but which no longer has 'ends'. Everyone sat down, mind numbing 'euro anthems', flag waving happy clappers, repetitive and mundane 'Bristol City' songs, sterile atmosphere, long periods of silence. Everything feels corporate, but the concourse is great for keeping dry and getting food / catching up with games around the country.

I recently watched the highlights of 89/90 - 90/91 on YouTube and it might just be my memory remembering things with a sense of warm nostalgia, but I can't for the life of me remember being as bored as I get now watching City? I can't recall seeing Newman pass to Pender, back to Newman, back to Pender, back to Newman, into Rennie, out to Smith, run to the by-line, back to Rennie, sideways to Shelton, back to Newman, sideways to Pender, interception, run at Leaning, goal for the opposition or corner, then more of the same mundane 'let's try to walk the ball into the net' or play for 20 minutes without any penetration whatsoever garbage?

For me, the football experience is safer nowadays, but it has completely lost its heart, passion and soul.

Great post that sums up football in the 80s and 90s and the dross we watch today. Where did it all go wrong at AG?

I remember what an amostphere that 8 to 10 thousand fans could create inside Ashton Gate. Dolman A and B block, Parkend, East End and later years Williams Stand. It really was formidable when the whole ground got going and used to lift the team.

Away teams used to hate playing at Ashton Gate. Now it seems they probably look forward to it.

Games against the Gas were always special along with the Welsh. Atmosphere seemed to go up another level. 

Couldn't wait to finish work on a Friday and go and support the City at Aston Gate. Now can't say I feel any buzz whatsoever. It just seems a chore now but a chance to catch up with mates.

My Son is 17 now and always asks why it's so quiet at Ashton Gate. I'm afraid I can't answer him. I think it's just a sign of the times as far as football is concerned. I feel gutted that he will never experience what we did years ago. 

Great memories from the past.

55 minutes ago, richyy66 said:

I remember what an amostphere that 8 to 10 thousand fans could create inside Ashton Gate. Dolman A and B block, Parkend, East End and later years Williams Stand. It really was formidable when the whole ground got going and used to lift the team.

Away teams used to hate playing at Ashton Gate. Now it seems they probably look forward to it.

Games against the Gas were always special along with the Welsh. Atmosphere seemed to go up another level. 

Couldn't wait to finish work on a Friday and go and support the City at Aston Gate. Now can't say I feel any buzz whatsoever. It just seems a chore now but a chance to catch up with mates.

My Son is 17 now and always asks why it's so quiet at Ashton Gate. I'm afraid I can't answer him. I think it's just a sign of the times as far as football is concerned. I feel gutted that he will never experience what we did years ago. 

Great memories from the past.

Agreed - Give me football in the 80s and 90s v today’s offering every day. Several posts on here makes me realise how lucky I was to follow City compared to this corporate stuff today. Boooring currently..

Going back to the original post, me and @CyderInACanhad a family wedding to attend that day. Stinking hot as some have pointed out, so not pleasant wearing trousers and a blazer even as a 10 year old. 
Fond memories of the two of us being huddled together with our dad and grandad (both of whom have watched from the best seats in the sky for 21 and 29 years respectively) in the car in the car park during a break in proceedings to tune into Radio Bristol to listen to the game. We won 4-2 with Super Bob getting a brace, and Morgan and Aizlewood getting the others. Still gutted that we ended up selling Super Bob to Baggies! 

Archived