IGNORED

Free laptop virus protection

Dollymarie

Got a new laptop in the January sales (Christ that seems like a lifetime ago now!) and it came with a years free McAfee. They now want over £130 for another years cover, which I’m buggered if I’m gonna pay. 

What’s the best decent free antivirus I can get please and thank you. 

7 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Got a new laptop in the January sales (Christ that seems like a lifetime ago now!) and it came with a years free McAfee. They now want over £130 for another years cover, which I’m buggered if I’m gonna pay. 

The standard Windows firewall and virus protection is actually pretty good these days.

It's fairly easy to avoid viruses these days, don't download anything from any site you don't recognise, dont click links from emails that you arent expecting etc. Windows also has access control that means even if you are the administrator itll prompt you before doing any administrative actions like installing malware/

On 15/12/2020 at 18:19, Dollymarie said:

If it is anything like Norton, they try and charge you the high price on the auto renewal if it is left activated (they nearly caught me out but I remembered just in time).   £130 for one year is a mickey-take.

The ones already suggested are good for free.

Yep forget paying for anything. Those days should be long gone really, Windows Defender will do the job just fine as long as you keep it updated, that typically happens automatically via Windows Updates which you'll probably be familiar with seeing prompts for when they are ready to install.

That and a bit of sensible surfing and you shouldn't really have any problems.

Archived