IGNORED

Bristol City v Millwall Match Day 19

7 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Well at least we are getting our season ticket money refunded.  I would be even more unhappy if I was paying to eatch that dog shite.  Much more of this and a few of us may not be forking out for a season ticket next year either.

I agree, and the longer fans have to stay away the harder it will be for the club to win them back. And I really never thought I would be thinking that. Of course many will renew out of habit/loyality, but it must be on Steve’s mind.

I want to be sat at home absolutely gutted about the great matches I’m missing, instead it’s almost a relief I’m not there.

6 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Millwall's Gary Rowett: "We went for the simplest game plan I have used in ages and I picked a team to implement it. Bristol City have struggled against physical sides and our aim was to get the ball forward early and win the second balls.

Ouch.

Pretty worrying that teams are thinking like that and that is our reputation. Someone alluded to it in a thread last night as well that we are known inside the game for being lightweight and having little fight.  Worrying. Really need to step on this ASAP. Also worrying that it only needs a very basic game plan to beat us so convincingly.  

4 minutes ago, lenred said:

Pretty worrying that teams are thinking like that and that is our reputation. Someone alluded to it in a thread last night as well that we are known inside the game for being lightweight and having little fight.  Worrying. Really need to step on this ASAP. Also worrying that it only needs a very basic game plan to beat us so convincingly.  

I imagine O'Neil will be thinking along the same lines for Friday. Unfortunately our main physical presence going forward, having picked up 3 cards he wasn't expecting on his birthday, will be missing

Just now, wendyredredrobin said:

Whilst he may look physical, he actually isn't very physical though.  Gets knocked off the Ball far too easily for his size.

He's a big lump and gives defenders something to think about, and brings a good defensive quality as well. But I agree that he's not very cultured and doesn't hold the ball very well. But to be honest Martin has been pretty ineffective in the last few games. Anyway if he was in the selection thoughts for PNE, he's not any more!

3 hours ago, RedM said:

I agree, and the longer fans have to stay away the harder it will be for the club to win them back. And I really never thought I would be thinking that. Of course many will renew out of habit/loyality, but it must be on Steve’s mind.

I want to be sat at home absolutely gutted about the great matches I’m missing, instead it’s almost a relief I’m not there.

I am beginning to realise how much time I used to waste going to watch this boring drivel. It's the same as Johnson Rot.

The annoying thing about last evening is that after the Rotherham rubbish, I only decided to buy my Robins TV ticket about 30 minutes before kick off. What a plonker I am as that was worse than anything I ever watched when we were in Division 4 back in 1982!

5 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

If we were in any doubt, this says it all and it's bloody painful.

Extracted from:  Bristol City 0-2 Millwall: Tom Bradshaw & Mason Bennett give Lions win - BBC Sport

image.thumb.png.e0ebcae8bd08d38e920231b7192cfadc.png

Says it all. What really makes me angry is that this has been a weakness of ours for years and years, and nobody at the club seems capable of dealing with it. The problem starts with recruitment - we simply never buy physical players (except maybe Nathan 'made of glass' Baker ?

A simple game plan of getting the ball forward, being physical and winning the second ball....????

Kinnel...that's what they do on the downs league. ??

Let's be honest...we are going backwards and have been for a while. All the signs have been there for a couple seasons.

This is going one way...think Milne, Tinnion.

Think fans are losing interest...exasipated by virus restrictions. 

Think there will be a lot less renewing season tickets.

That's Birmingham, Rotherham and Milwall....all big physical teams.  Do you think Holden might eventually notice the common denominator?  Because when DH was asked the direct question  "Gary Rowett stated after the game that Bristol City struggle against physical sides, would you agree?"   DH.  " I am not really interested in what Rowett said"    Hit a nerve did he Dean?

This from Rowett is an absolute rubber-stamp on where we are.

We have a great stadium, lovely training ground on the way, state of the art facilities, wonderful award winning social media, great corporate facilities, big growth plans, sports scientists, nutritionalists and all that great stuff, and......

A manager of the opposition team not only sets up, but executes his “simplest game plan used in ages”. A lump it and win the second ball, back to basics strategy.

Now, this means we are not only completely predictable but also the perception of us is one that can be bullied and out-battled. With simple Sunday League tactics.

Talk about building a club and forgetting to put a team on the pitch.

Worrying that teams are thinking like that and that this is now our reputation although I suspect it’s been so for a while now. Someone alluded to it in a thread last night as well that we are known inside the game for being lightweight and having little fight which is worrying moving forwards.  Really need to step on this ASAP somehow. Also worrying that it appears it only needs a very basic game plan to beat us so convincingly.  

I liked Millwall, I actually even rated Rotherham. Maybe all this talk about playing fancy football is just rubbish. 
They were in our faces, aggressive, balls in the box, direct running, pressing, PACE - everything we do not have and have needed for 3 years. Yet it's like we look down upon that sort of style. I don't understand why, it's far better football than the dross we've been serving up for a long time!

We don't look like improving and it's worrying. 

1 minute ago, headhunter said:

So are Dean's Assistant's helping him by applying their experience to address this situation? 

I’m 100% sure that they are, it’s their jobs and they seem very decent blokes so I’m sure they are trying, but it’s not working at the moment whatever they are doing as a coaching group.  

8 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I liked Millwall, I actually even rated Rotherham. Maybe all this talk about playing fancy football is just rubbish. 
They were in our faces, aggressive, balls in the box, direct running, pressing, PACE - everything we do not have and have needed for 3 years. Yet it's like we look down upon that sort of style. I don't understand why, it's far better football than the dross we've been serving up for a long time!

Having not watched Millwall or Rotherham every week I wouldn’t know, however I’d wager they don’t set up like this against every side in the league.

Specifically against us I would imagine.

All week training, licking their chops, bad run about to come to an end with Bristol City to play at the end of the week. Get fired up, get amongst them, win your personal battles, be strong, and you will turn them over.

Sadly its that simple.

2 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Unfortunately Holden didn't have the tools at his disposal to combat this, if Mawson and Baker were fit would Millwall have gone for this strategy in the first place?

Think the chances of ever seeing Mawson and Baker on the same pitch wearing red at the same time are remote at best ??

Rowett's bang on the money. He knows it, other teams know it, we know it. We're a soft touch and have been for years in truth. This is what we get if we continue to appoint head coaches with little experience or from within our cosy club. Spineless from top to bottom. 

14 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Having not watched Millwall or Rotherham every week I wouldn’t know, however I’d wager they don’t set up like this against every side in the league.

Specifically against us I would imagine.

All week training, licking their chops, bad run about to come to an end with Bristol City to play at the end of the week. Get fired up, get amongst them, win your personal battles, be strong, and you will turn them over.

Sadly its that simple.

The answer for me in the Summer of getting rid of this 'Soft touch' City mentality at the club was by appointing an old school style manager in Paul Cook. But, no, our board most likely would not want to be told that the jobs they do are usless to the team

44 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Agreed, Rotherham especially I thought were surprisingly good to watch (Millwall might have been but it was too depressing to pay full attention to the match).

Direct yes, but combined with a high press and decent interplay around the box makes for reasonably exciting football. 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

A simple game plan of getting the ball forward, being physical and winning the second ball....????

Kinnel...that's what they do on the downs league. ??

Let's be honest...we are going backwards and have been for a while. All the signs have been there for a couple seasons.

This is going one way...think Milne, Tinnion.

Think fans are losing interest...exasipated by virus restrictions. 

Think there will be a lot less renewing season tickets.

Unfortunately you are right. The club is and has been badly run for many years. They have been papering over the cracks well TBF by selling players for “top dollar” and then bringing in “fair average” replacements at best. I feel sorry for the season ticket holders because if you are lucky, you might see 3 shots on goal by City across the 90 minutes.

I think it is obvious to most that we have no spine, no muscle, no steel in midfield. Why did they sell Korey? Sides just run straight through our midfield and then muscle us off the ball in the final third. And yes, this is basic stuff which Sunday league sides deliver FFS, and here we are in the Championship not being able to sort it.

The only way Lansdown will instigate change is if he lances the boil that festers - which is Ashton. He is killing this club. Never been so despondent about City.

2 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Unfortunately you are right. The club is and has been badly run for many years. They have been papering over the cracks well TBF by selling players for “top dollar” and then bringing in “fair average” replacements at best. I feel sorry for the season ticket holders because if you are lucky, you might see 3 shots on goal by City across the 90 minutes.

The only way Lansdown will instigate change is if he lances the boil that festers - which is Ashton. He is killing this club. Never been so despondent about City.

It's a flawed system that won't bring promotion. 

Archived