IGNORED

Holden in or out // Meltdown thread // Faint hearted stay away

Unan

Holden in or out // Meltdown thread // Faint hearted stay away  

341 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Out.

Good guy but badly exposed by a board protecting their part and roles in the structure of the club collectively and individually.

Johnson was sacked on the basis of wanting “a breath of fresh air” and “a top 6 finish being the aim”. Both statements (which were pretty flimsy at the time), now look frankly ludicrous.

21 minutes ago, dREDful said:

End of season. Not going down this year but I have concerns if he stays next season. 

How about next year 2021? Around the end of April or beginning of May!

This is atrocious football as bad as any I have watched enough times in the past to know what a club looks like when it is just not good enough for the league that the club is in.

No pattern of play, slow sideways passing at the back, midfield non existent and nobody up front strikes goals let alone frightening opposing defenders.

Out

Should never of been given the job

Holden isn't to blame he is a great guy but he isnt a manger,

Ashton is to blame for this mess he should go lansdown should also remove himself from any football decisions at this club, 

Appoint a proper director of football and go from there

And not an ex player/mate on the cheap,

The whole coaching structure for the first team needs changing 

Keep - but get rid at end of the year if he hasn’t evolved enough 

Or

Sign an experienced coach in the close season if the world has started to recover from covid.

&

Play the academy prospects to cover the injuries, nothing to lose the current plan isn’t working.

7 minutes ago, tin said:

IMO, the performances have been consistently dire for most of the season. We were never going to carry on nicking games against the run of play. The luck is running out. 

I never thought Holden, good a guy as he clearly is, should’ve got the job. When he does go, I’ve got no faith in Ashton or the Lansdowns to go and get the best man for the job in the same way the Bears did. 

The first few games were an improvement on LJ's last season. Our shots for were up, against were down, same ratios carried into shots on target, passing numbers were up, pretty much every metric was up. Admittedly they weren't up to the level that you'd expect from a team challenging for promotion, but they were up. I agree the current slide is not entirely unexpected, especially when you look at how those numbers have all dropped back to about where they were last season. However, I think we've seen that with a full, or nearly fully fit squad, Holden and his team are capable of getting us top 8, maybe top 6 with some luck. Is that enough? Probably not in the long run. Is it enough for a season where the whole landscape is shifted, where players are playing 8 or 9 games every month? Maybe.

You cannot compare City to the Bears. The two sports are too different in terms of economics, scope, talent pool etc.

Given our injuries- along with the overall COVID situation- it would be very unfair not to give Holden a full season. Plus the fact that he’s had none of the financial backing given to LJ. Strangely, though, I think he’ll be gone in the next couple of weeks. Completely against the Lansdown grain, but I think Steve may want to demonstrate that he can recognise that he got it wrong. In other words, we got it wrong now might be easier than it isn’t working in 6 months time.

I say it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things whether he's in or out. Under the real leadership at the club we will not get to the Premiership anyway.................only one year in the last twenty odd where we have even got close. Regardless of how he is doing at Forest, who are a basket case anyway, appointing Hughton would have represented a real change at the club and would have shaken things up no doubt. It wasn't done because they didn't want to do it. How obvious does it have to be made?

So I will be left hoping that Holden can somehow turn it round but supporting him or not the last two performance combined have been a disgrace............you can't sugar coat or make excuses for that.

I don’t think this is Holden’s fault. None of us would turn down the job if offered it, but he’s a million miles away from the consistently shit results that LJ regularly didn’t get sacked for, so why shouldn’t Holden get more time.

However, if you offered me Paul Cook tomorrow, I’d snap your hand off. 

35 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Just admit they were wrong and this isn't working 

Knowing the ********* in charge like we do, they will drag it out to April 

We're in 8th after nearly half the season gone. 2 points out of play offs. With an insane injury list.

Two bad games in a row for sure and some of the football isn't great. But does that really sound like conclusive proof for your argument that this is all a terrible mistake and people need to admit they were wrong? 

Or does DH only get credit for the defeats and the bad football. Not the decent football at start of season and the 30 pts in 19 games we have?

To quote a wise man on the internet, 'just admit that that's not too bad'.

3 shots on target in 2 games. 

3 corners in 2 games.

Can't bare the excitement. 

My grandmother would be more effective with a stick of rhubarb. 

Agree with others, not Dean's fault as we would have all thrown our hat in the ring. The board, Ashton et al are to blame for this shambles. Thankfully I only have to watch it online. My 8 year-old son is rapidly losing interest too. 

I think the thing that really concerns me, particularly with two England youth coaches in harness, is the tactical naivety.

I often criticised LJ for overthinking, and needlessly tinkering against the opposition (going physical against Cardiff springs to mind), but Dean - even considering the resource stretch - appears to have such limited thinking it’s scary.

In each of the last two games, we’ve thrown four forwards on. And as a result, played into deep defending teams hands - happy to let us pump balls in and compact the game in the last 30 yards. As a result, you get nothing. Four central forwards does not mean attacking football - if anything, it’s naive football as it means you cede most of the pitch. But it’s Deans go to tactic when chasing.

We’re a side that, irrespective of starting formation, go rope-a-dope and try and nick a goal. That would never work all season with the quality in the division. And, as nice as a guy as Dean is, historically we’ve never taken football like that (See Osman, Pulis). It’s again a really basic tactic and quite easy to counter.

I think he’s naive. That’s in part to be expected but he’s probably more naive  than most other U9s coaches I come across. And to get the experience and nouse will take too much time so I don’t see him being here this time next year.

9 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

The first few games were an improvement on LJ's last season. Our shots for were up, against were down, same ratios carried into shots on target, passing numbers were up, pretty much every metric was up. Admittedly they weren't up to the level that you'd expect from a team challenging for promotion, but they were up. I agree the current slide is not entirely unexpected, especially when you look at how those numbers have all dropped back to about where they were last season. However, I think we've seen that with a full, or nearly fully fit squad, Holden and his team are capable of getting us top 8, maybe top 6 with some luck. Is that enough? Probably not in the long run. Is it enough for a season where the whole landscape is shifted, where players are playing 8 or 9 games every month? Maybe.

You cannot compare City to the Bears. The two sports are too different in terms of economics, scope, talent pool etc.

I agree there have been flashes of encouragement, especially early on. The win at Stoke was a highlight, as was the first half at Bournemouth and the intent against Blackburn. But the rest of the performances have been really poor and it’s been largely due to Bentley’s unbelievable form that we’ve been in a position to nick games. 

You mention luck, we’ve had more than our fair share this season. Some might say we used most of it up in that win at Cardiff. Two shots a game on a consistent basis is not down to luck, though. It’s down to desire, intent and organisation. We don’t have one player to get bums off seats, Semenyo shows glimpses but not enough. It’s not unrealistic to expect to play with attacking intent and shape, and it’s inexcusable to not compete as the toothless displays over the last four days have shown. 

To clarify, I don’t think Holden will go before the end of the season, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we’re dragged into the bottom six or so going on recent performances and results. 

Out. 

I said in a different thread I was willing to give him a chance after a good start to the season and with injuries but performances are absolutely dire. 

We were poor under LJ and we've somehow got even worse.

My only concern is even if/when Dean goes Mark Ashton will be doing interviews for the new man and he pretty much hand picked Holden, Ashton should be nowhere near the recruitment of the next manager. 

2 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

We're in 8th after nearly half the season gone. 2 points out of play offs. With an insane injury list.

Two bad games in a row for sure and some of the football isn't great. But does that really sound like conclusive proof for your argument that this is all a terrible mistake and people need to admit they were wrong? 

Or does DH only get credit for the defeats and the bad football. Not the decent football at start of season and the 30 pts in 19 games we have?

To quote a wise man on the internet, 'just admit that that's not too bad'.

Jesus christ it's like groundhog day 

4th season in a row where our fans will be coming out with these sort of comments and posts, where we cling on to false hope and comments like "we are only x amount of points from the playoffs"

This is the weakest this league has been for years, being played at a time where there are no home fans to give the other clubs an advantage 

Bar Stoke away ....we have been shit all season. Please stop making out like he is doing a good job....he's not . And hasn't been for 4 years 

The alarm bells should have start finding when the players wanted him in charge. Keeps their gravy train chugging on 

Keep until end of the season and see who's about.

No point sacking unless we have someone better lined up. We had such a big opportunity in the summer to go all in and have a really good go at promotion but for whatever reason, maybe due to financial uncertainty at the moment, the owner decided that wasn't the right decision.

Archived