IGNORED

Holden in or out // Meltdown thread // Faint hearted stay away

Unan

Holden in or out // Meltdown thread // Faint hearted stay away  

341 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Jesus christ it's like groundhog day 

4th season in a row where our fans will be coming out with these sort of comments and posts, where we cling on to false hope and comments like "we are only x amount of points from the playoffs"

This is the weakest this league has been for years, being played at a time where there are no home fans to give the other clubs an advantage 

Bar Stoke away ....we have been shit all season. Please stop making out like he is doing a good job....he's not . And hasn't been for 4 years 

The alarm bells should have start finding when the players wanted him in charge. Keeps their gravy train chugging on 

It really is like Groundhog Day. Every time City lose a game on OTIB. 

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think at this stage, taking into account the improved (marginally so) performances in September, the lengthy injury list, and the limited bench options he has, it's not right to sack him. The numbers don't suggest promotion (and never have, regardless of where we may have ever been in the table), but neither do they point towards certain relegation. Holden is on a 12 month contract and come the end of the season can either be let go for no cost, or could be sacked with a small pay off with a handful of games to go if they are dead rubbers. Given the state of finances I think that's the prudent thing to do. So keep him in.

This does not mean that the appointment process in the summer is immune from criticism. I criticised it at the time and would do so again.

My understanding of a 12 month rolling contract is that he would get a further year's salary.

• Admin
1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Which, given he is on a 12 month rolling contract, is the current status of his employment.

You do understand he's NOT on a year contract?

His contract is always "rolling" which means he has no end date, it just means whenever he's sacked he had a year left on his contract to be paid up

Dire performances and naive tactics. Yes he has a long injury list to deal with but DH’s lack of experience is now showing through and confidence has drained away from the players. Suddenly we are the team that a team on a bad run want to play. That’s a danger sign in itself!

And should Bristol go into Tier 2 tomorrow and you are offered a chance to watch a game at Ashton Gate as one of the “lucky” 2000 would you really want to go right now? Our home record hasn’t really improved on previous seasons and entertainment is definitely not guaranteed!

31 minutes ago, phantom said:

You do understand he's NOT on a year contract?

His contract is always "rolling" which means he has no end date, it just means whenever he's sacked he had a year left on his contract to be paid up

No, I did NOT understand the specifics of the rolling part. I've never seen a contract like that and interpertated it to mean it was a year with an option to renew.

I've been corrected by everyone on the forum so thanks to everyone for that.

25 minutes ago, One Team said:

If SL didn’t sack LJ after the worst run in our history there is no way he will admit he failed with Holden already. 

Holden will get at least this season, possibly next as well assuming we stay up. 

SL doesn't have the father/son relationship with Holden like he had with LJ. I think tonight was telling from the get go the team is deflated not only can we connect passes but the players look depressed. I honestly don't think he would be allowed to retain his job if we play like that again next game. 

Seems like a great guy, always honest in interviews & likeable. Don’t want to see him fail, but we’ve rode our luck. 

Needs someone to take this team by the scruff of the neck on and off the pitch & give us some fight & drive.

Holden promised exciting football, it’s not. The players look scared to pass forward. The schedule is tough for all teams.

I hope it turns but if they haven’t started thinking about Howe etc I’d be concerned. Like the Bears, pick a decent manager & let them control it. Stop blowing money on compensation & wasted transfer fees, sit back & give a proven guy a chance.

Abysmal football at the moment. 

8 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

How about next year 2021? Around the end of April or beginning of May!

This is atrocious football as bad as any I have watched enough times in the past to know what a club looks like when it is just not good enough for the league that the club is in.

No pattern of play, slow sideways passing at the back, midfield non existent and nobody up front strikes goals let alone frightening opposing defenders.

Make no mistake anyone who thinks we are safe already this season beware, we have just lost 3 of the last 4 to teams who were on woeful runs another performance and result like that against Wycombe forget Preston they will bully and cheat there way to victory over us and we will meekly give in

9 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

The first few games were an improvement on LJ's last season. Our shots for were up, against were down, same ratios carried into shots on target, passing numbers were up, pretty much every metric was up. Admittedly they weren't up to the level that you'd expect from a team challenging for promotion, but they were up. I agree the current slide is not entirely unexpected, especially when you look at how those numbers have all dropped back to about where they were last season. However, I think we've seen that with a full, or nearly fully fit squad, Holden and his team are capable of getting us top 8, maybe top 6 with some luck. Is that enough? Probably not in the long run. Is it enough for a season where the whole landscape is shifted, where players are playing 8 or 9 games every month? Maybe.

You cannot compare City to the Bears. The two sports are too different in terms of economics, scope, talent pool etc.

Worse than last season tbh, if we look at the split of games! BH and AH (Before and after Huddersfield).

Perhaps the possession tonight puts that 2nd tranche back on par again, maybe but beyond that...

Out. He never should have been in. He has gotten adequate results but the performances have been awful after about the first 5 games. I am already severely fatigued watching this team. If last night wasn’t on red button I would not have bothered. Same with Friday. Lucky they have been put on tv so much. 

I’m struggling to understand what our style is? Make as many easy passes as possible to run the clock down because we lack any idea of how to break teams down? Hope to score on the counter?

We seem to be physically weak too? Why does there seem to be a lack of motivation from the players? Are there players within the camp with an infectious negative attitude which has overspilled to the rest of the team?

We have a worrying amount of injuries yet again this season but it is becoming evident that those who are filling in aren’t up to Championship standard.

We are now failing to address the problems from the previous game. We are slipping back into the same mentality that was displayed under the previous regime.

It suggests a mental problem as well as a physical one. Perhaps we simply lack the personnel capable of mounting a serious promotion challenge which is why the only way of playing that can give a chance to win a game is by strangling the life out of it?

There is a much bigger problem than the management team and it has been evident for a while.

We haven’t replaced the quality of what we have sold, and we have sold quite a bit over the last 4-5 years.

Putting square pegs in round holes because injuries has led to an imbalance within the team.

If we are truly serious about promotion then we need to get someone in who understands how to find the right players to fit in with how the ‘team’ needs to function. Someone like Brian Clough’s old sidekick Peter Taylor.

Currently it is looking like another slide is on the cards until we can get players off of the treatment table.

I’m beginning to think about being just happy to stay up this season. I don’t think that just swapping the manager will make us any more successful. We simply aren’t as good as we think we are and that is the reality.

As a boring Midlands bastard once said: "Stupid question!"

They won't get rid of him before Christmas, when we're eighth. End of season, we might have a chance of waving goodbye.

And TBH, as has been pointed out here, with the Jon Lansdown/Doug Harman board and the eminence grise of Mark Ashton in place (effectively stopping us recruiting any manager who wants to come here and make all his own decisions) nothing will change.

Ashton has made us some money, but he has to go, he is a block to progress. With the board, a full deck of directors should be appointed, including someone with proper football experience: maybe a clued-up ex-player.  

I know some people, and club coaches love their stats, so here's a fact. Without Dan Bentley this season we would have lost a lot more games. I know it's his job to make saves, but the stats prove what we are watching. Other teams create chances, we don't. Only Ryan Alsop at Wycombe has made more saves (62) than DB (55). Only Wycombe have allowed more shots on target (87) than City (73). We are also in the bottom 4 for shots at goal. Can't see much positivity. If DB gets injured we could have a serious problem. 

11 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

SL doesn't have the father/son relationship with Holden like he had with LJ. I think tonight was telling from the get go the team is deflated not only can we connect passes but the players look depressed. I honestly don't think he would be allowed to retain his job if we play like that again next game. 

You right about their relationship but I can’t see SL admitting he’s got it wrong again already.

We shouldn’t be surprised by this of course, it was what many of us feared with his appointment; that of it not being "a breath of fresh air into the club" to help us "take the next step" (direct quotes from SL).

12 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Why is it ridiculous? Perfectly acceptable for people to vent. I dont agree with most of it, but its just frustration being expressed

It’s ridiculous because City are sitting 8th in Championship and because DH has been in the job less than half a season

Its a typical otib knee jerk reaction to to two disappointing results.

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s ridiculous because City are sitting 8th in Championship and because DH has been in the job less than half a season

Both points are true and i agree with you, however as a punter who pays good money to watch city are you entertained? Im not. 

Its not just results. We are appalling to watch

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It's more than 2 disappointing results and many many more disappointing performances, smell the coffee 

4 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Both points are true and i agree with you, however as a punter who pays good money to watch city are you entertained? Im not. 

Its not just results. We are appalling to watch

Yep......exactly the same as under GJ - the difference being GJ was somehow getting results and to most fans that clouds their judgement on what they’re actually seeing.

City are 19 games in. A long way to go yet.

56 minutes ago, Pippintogg said:

I know some people, and club coaches love their stats, so here's a fact. Without Dan Bentley this season we would have lost a lot more games. I know it's his job to make saves, but the stats prove what we are watching. Other teams create chances, we don't. Only Ryan Alsop at Wycombe has made more saves (62) than DB (55). Only Wycombe have allowed more shots on target (87) than City (73). We are also in the bottom 4 for shots at goal. Can't see much positivity. If DB gets injured we could have a serious problem. 

If "Bents" get injured, then we buy "Sops" from Wycombe. He will appreciate the reduced workload

Archived