IGNORED

Mark Ashton.

BCFC1512

4 hours ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

Ah. Yes. We’ve been in top six for majority of the season, 9 first team players out injured , we lose a couple and spoilt brats want the owner and md out of the club 

Embarrassing 

There's some valid points to be made about our performance right now, but then like the over the top posts when we're winning, there's some absolutely dreadful shouts when we lose a couple of games

6 hours ago, Harry said:

How does Lee Johnson go from signing the likes of Mawson, Daniel Johnson, Ben Pearson, Clarke-Harris, Aiden White, Ivan Toney, Korey Smith, Josh Brownhill, Ashley Fletcher, Dan Crowley, Joe Rothwell, George Moncur, Michael Smith, in his stints at Oldham & Barnsley, to suddenly signing Engvall, Magnússon, Djuric, Hegeler, Diedhiou, Eliasson, Pisano, Massengo, Nagy. 
It’s not because he suddenly had a load of money and a new found penchant for random foreigners. It’s because he wasn’t in charge of it. 

And this is it in a nutshell - no further evidence needed for me. Unfortunately, and LJ needs to shoulder some blame for never speaking out, people will never ever believe that Ashton runs recruitment despite everything pointing to the fact he does, from the players recruited, the only agency we use and who the analysts report too. 

19 minutes ago, Rob k said:

And this is it in a nutshell - no further evidence needed for me. Unfortunately, and LJ needs to shoulder some blame for never speaking out, people will never ever believe that Ashton runs recruitment despite everything pointing to the fact he does, from the players recruited, the only agency we use and who the analysts report too. 

This is why the manager or ‘’head coach’’ role is picked VERY carefully by Ashton. Many managers would speak out or in fact the vast majority of decent managers don’t even want to know the job in the first place (as we found in the summer) no bonafide experience head coach or manager would want to touch this set up.. why the **** would a Chris Hughton for example with his CV want Mark Ashton telling him who he can and cannot buy..? Is Mark Ashton qualified or experienced in getting teams promotion from this level? Is he ****.

6 hours ago, Harry said:

How does Lee Johnson go from signing the likes of Mawson, Daniel Johnson, Ben Pearson, Clarke-Harris, Aiden White, Ivan Toney, Korey Smith, Josh Brownhill, Ashley Fletcher, Dan Crowley, Joe Rothwell, George Moncur, Michael Smith, in his stints at Oldham & Barnsley, to suddenly signing Engvall, Magnússon, Djuric, Hegeler, Diedhiou, Eliasson, Pisano, Massengo, Nagy. 
It’s not because he suddenly had a load of money and a new found penchant for random foreigners. It’s because he wasn’t in charge of it. 

Random foreigners eh. I think some reasonable, some not so good.

I suspect however had we signed Pukki on a free in 2018, or I dunno Klich in early 2018, or well any number of players at Brentford you'd have been less than happy and moaning about Ashton. Yet quite a lot of them are rather good!

The ones we signed were variable, some reasonable some not, at least half of those you listed had notable injuries!

Ooh you wouldn't much like Brentford, despite their great football in recent years. Plenty of random foreigners there?

Mind you some good players in that first list of LJ singings. Some who have not kicked on either of course.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Random foreigners eh. I think some reasonable, some not so good.

I suspect however had we signed Pukki on a free in 2018, or I dunno Klich in early 2018, or well any number of players at Brentford you'd have been less than happy and moaning about Ashton. Yet quite a lot of them are rather good!

The ones we signed were variable, some reasonable some not, at least half of those you listed had notable injuries!

Ooh you wouldn't much like Brentford, despite their great football in recent years. Plenty of random foreigners there?

I think what @Harry was getting at is not the fact they were random foreigners as such but the fact that LJ has had no history of buying in players from the continent and then all of a sudden he comes here and has a complete scatter gun approach to foreign players. A bit odd Don’t you think and it does point to many of these players not being his signings. 

12 minutes ago, bris red said:

I think what @Harry was getting at is not the fact they were random foreigners as such but the fact that LJ has had no history of buying in players from the continent and then all of a sudden he comes here and has a complete scatter gun approach to foreign players. A bit odd Don’t you think and it does point to many of these players not being his signings. 

True, fair. I think our foreign signings have been a mixed bag but it's a very different profile of player to the first list. I was possibly unfair to @Harry

I wonder if it's a case of something like Ashton or whoever on the Scouting team, comes up with a list of players for a certain profile, I dunno ball playing centre back or big forward or hard running full back and LJ or now Holden pick a preference from that list. Not unheard of in modern football I reckon.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

True, fair. I think our foreign signings have beeen a mixed bag but it's a very different profile of player to the first list. I was possibly unfair to @Harry

I wonder if it's a case of something like Ashton or whoever on the Scouting team, comes up with a list of players for a certain profile, I dunno ball playing centre back or big forward or hard running full back and LJ or now Holden pick a preference from that list. Not unheard of in modern football I reckon.

That will be exactly how it  works - hence how Ashton can say LJ had final sign off 

9 minutes ago, Rob k said:

That will be exactly how it  works - hence how Ashton can say LJ had final sign off 

Some quite successful clubs do it I believe, so it is in some respects entirely without merit?

It also negates or reduces the risk of hugely expensive and potentially overhauls each time a manager/head coach leaves. I'm not entirely against the principle in some ways.

Sevilla's model appears to have similarities. Monchi is quite highly regarded. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55146257

7 hours ago, Harry said:

Which team wins? 
Tonight’s or the one from 5 years ago, just prior to every transfer window since being managed by Ashton and his diligent team of analysts and his database. 
Which midfield controls possession and tempo. Which team creates? 

A232CD0A-9E07-4B53-A10E-8F60F0F80759.jpeg

F8F8617B-EA13-4F73-9401-84ACA78725EF.jpeg

Bottom one is a team, top one is a jumble of player's.

Neither LJ, Ashton or Holden know how to build a team.

Get someone in who can.

Davefevs - once considered a reasonable, level-headed fan who actually watches City (when allowed, pre Covid) now showing hysteria and knee-jerk of someone spending too long on OTiB!! 

Were you believing what you are now posting just one week ago when we were joint third in the Championship? 

If so, you hide your feelings well. If not you are changing your mind faster than, 'flip-flop' and probably need a rest away from the gloom of some forum writers. 

make a statement that "this is a season like no other due to injuries & Covid and Dean has our full support as we go through this difficult time. Our objective is to be within 6 points of the play offs by February 1st by which time we should be able to field our full strength team and be able to finish the season strongly".

He won't say that so in the meantime sit back and listen to Headhunter, DaveFevs & Mark discuss the nightmare before Christmas which is an appropriate title for another *hit show of a performance in this latest episode of the Forever Bristol City Podcast:

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/time-for-mark-ashton-to/       [also on Spotify & Apple Podcasts]

We drew no positives from last night's display but did learn that a media career as a pundit does not beckon for Andreas Weimann whose content was sound but with a delivery that could be a cure for insomnia!!

1 minute ago, Loosey Boy said:

Ashton doing his usual - very visible when things are going well e.g celebrating with DH at the side of the pitch after we beat Forest away, only for him to disappear into the trenches when the going gets tough.....

An approach learned from Johnson...

...by which I mean B. Johnson rather than L. Johnson or G. Johnson. 

21 minutes ago, headhunter said:

make a statement that "this is a season like no other due to injuries & Covid and Dean has our full support as we go through this difficult time. Our objective is to be within 6 points of the play offs by February 1st by which time we should be able to field our full strength team and be able to finish the season strongly".

He won't say that so in the meantime sit back and listen to Headhunter, DaveFevs & Mark discuss the nightmare before Christmas which is an appropriate title for another *hit show of a performance in this latest episode of the Forever Bristol City Podcast:

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/time-for-mark-ashton-to/       [also on Spotify & Apple Podcasts]

We drew no positives from last night's display but did learn that a media career as a pundit does not beckon for Andreas Weimann whose content was sound but with a delivery that could be a cure for insomnia!!

Ashton is a smarmy c@nt who typifies everything that is bad about modern football

15 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Personally i dont get the hate. He has done some fantastic deals for the club. The management lingo he uses is no different to most senior management - who cares? 

His cap does annoy me though tbf

I dont understand it either. Has done loads off of the pitch to get us where we are now. Can't fault him for the players he has Brought in and the business he has done on getting a return on some of the players has helped keep the club within the financial limits  which in my opinion is his main job. He talks like any other business managet.

Yes the football is bad at the moment, and has been a theme from last season. Ashton isn't the one who promised 90 goals this season and attacking football. That sits with DH, who will be replaced in the summer regardless of where we finish. 

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

True, fair. I think our foreign signings have been a mixed bag but it's a very different profile of player to the first list. I was possibly unfair to @Harry

⬇️⬇️⬇️

5 hours ago, Rob k said:

Not true....LJ had opportunity to add players he rates into the mix too.  There are multiple inputs into the sausage machine, LJ was one of those able to input.

5 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Davefevs - once considered a reasonable, level-headed fan who actually watches City (when allowed, pre Covid) now showing hysteria and knee-jerk of someone spending too long on OTiB!! 

Were you believing what you are now posting just one week ago when we were joint third in the Championship? 

If so, you hide your feelings well. If not you are changing your mind faster than, 'flip-flop' and probably need a rest away from the gloom of some forum writers. 

I’m confused.  What have I said / not said?  What’s knee-jerk?  Was that on OTIB / FBC or both?

I don’t flip-flop in my views very often.  I usually give my opinion on a game alone and use that opinion together with other games over a period of time to reflect and adjust.

I’m quite intrigued as to what I’m supposed to have said.

I just put this on the Eliasson thread, so I'll say it again.

I suggest anyone interested in this (including Steve Lansdown) should read 'Broken Dreams - Vanity, greed and the souring of British football' by Tom Bower.  You will then realise Mark Ashton is having it large, very large.

Its a great read and every transfer done in this country has benefits top and bottom for agents and the people pulling off the deals (i.e Mr Ashton)

5 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Ashton doing his usual - very visible when things are going well e.g celebrating with DH at the side of the pitch after we beat Forest away, only for him to disappear into the trenches when the going gets tough.....

100%. He will dodge any radio Bristol interview too. 

Whether we think that MA is a good fit or not for CEO at AG doesn’t matter one iota.

SL is the main man and Ashton does the job that SL isn’t able to do largely down to his tax exile status and partly because his lad is Chairman.

Essentially Ashton is SLs lacky.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Not true....LJ had opportunity to add players he rates into the mix too.  There are multiple inputs into the sausage machine, LJ was one of those able to input.

I’m confused.  What have I said / not said?  What’s knee-jerk?  Was that on OTIB / FBC or both?

I don’t flip-flop in my views very often.  I usually give my opinion on a game alone and use that opinion together with other games over a period of time to reflect and adjust.

I’m quite intrigued as to what I’m supposed to have said.

So why did LJ deviate so much from his previous type of player and if he was involved why did he Hardly play some of these players? As someone else has said, nobody in recruitment reports to him either? 

1 minute ago, Rob k said:

So why did LJ deviate so much from his previous type of player and if he was involved why did he Hardly play some of these players? As someone else has said, nobody in recruitment reports to him either? 

LJ definitely had input. I can't imagine, for example, SL or MA thought "I know, that Marley Watkins looks a prospect!" He was clearly an LJ signing. Brownhill, Webster and Tammy too. 

Archived