IGNORED

Mark Ashton.

BCFC1512

14 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

The manager gets the final say. 

There is just the shocking  possibility that football clubs don't always tell the truth.

1. We have no DoF and no Chief Scout.

2. Ashton controls "talent identification" and refers to the player database as his.

3. The analysts work to him not the Head Coach.

4. It stretches credulity a bit that LJ signed Engval, Eisa, Adelakun and Szmodics then immediately decided they were not good enough.

5. Ashton appoints the Head Coach, who reports to him.

6. We have a Head Coach not a Manager.

Pretty strong indications that he is not just a bog standard CEO, he controls the whole operation.

Too much power in one man's hands raises governance issues also.

40 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I think LJ was more than looked after money wise by SL, regardless of no parachute payments. This is basically his squad of players who are playing mind numbing dull football. It’s just a carry on from the previous two seasons. 

Let’s look at the last team LJ put out against Millwall. 2 games before covid. 

Of tonight’s starters, only 2 started back in Feb. 
Then, only a further 5 were in the squad. 

So, of the 18 man squad LJ put out, only 7 were in tonight’s squad. 

I find the constant desire to slag LJ for this seasons performances a bit weird to be honest. Holden is regularly playing Vyner, Moore, Nagy, Rowe, Cod, Semenyo, Bakinson, all of whom LJ wasn’t regularly selecting, and he’s also “strengthened” with big wage signings such as Martin, Brunt, Mariappa, Mawson, Sessengnon, as well as the lesser-spotted Williams. 

Make no mistake. This is Holden’s team. And it’s his naive tactics. 

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

I find the constant desire to slag LJ for this seasons performances a bit weird to be honest. Holden is regularly playing Vyner, Moore, Nagy, Rowe, Cod, Semenyo, Bakinson, all of whom LJ wasn’t regularly selecting, and he’s also “strengthened” with big wage signings such as Martin, Brunt, Mariappa, Mawson, Sessengnon, as well as the lesser-spotted Williams. 

By your reckoning Harry,

this is Mark Ashtons team

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

By your reckoning Harry,

this is Mark Ashtons team

Well yes, it is. I’m just saying that Holden is playing a very different set of players given to him by Ashton than LJ did. And a very very different set of tactics too. 

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Well yes, it is. I’m just saying that Holden is playing a very different set of players given to him by Ashton than LJ did. And a very very different set of tactics too. 

Largely the same squad and Johnson was trying different tactics and formations ,  by the half hour,  4 years into his tenure 

A squad big in numbers with so many samey samey players , lacking X factor quality , constructed with no plan 

..........By Lee Johnson 

............And allowed to do so by Mark Ashton

Dean Holden is no Bielsa and is working largely with the same players , so the current prospects not a great shock 

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Fair enough Harry, but who signed the vast majority of tonight’s team, that has to be LJ doesn’t it ?

Zero leaders, which he even complained about, even though he signed them! 

Imo, we have a squad rammed full of safety first footballers, a total lack of guile and flair, and a total lack of fight and desire. 

Ive never seen a City side so punchless and lacking spirit as this one had in the second half tonight. This against a side that hadn’t won in ten games. 

As a City fan Ive always accepted we will lose far more than we win, but when the players just go through the motions, I find it hard to accept, and this has become more and more frequent over the last 2-3 years. 

10 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Largely the same squad and Johnson was trying different tactics and formations ,  by the half hour,  4 years into his tenure 

A squad big in numbers with so many samey samey players , lacking X factor quality , constructed with no plan 

..........By Lee Johnson 

............And allowed to do so by Mark Ashton

Dean Holden is no Bielsa and is working largely with the same players , so the current prospects not a great shock 

You got it the wrong way round Shelts. 

Signed by Mark Ashton, and allowed to do so by Lee Johnson. 

I know we’ve done this a million times, and I’m never gonna convince you otherwise, but you know my stance as to who is in charge of ins and outs down there. 

Which team wins? 
Tonight’s or the one from 5 years ago, just prior to every transfer window since being managed by Ashton and his diligent team of analysts and his database. 
Which midfield controls possession and tempo. Which team creates? 

A232CD0A-9E07-4B53-A10E-8F60F0F80759.jpeg

F8F8617B-EA13-4F73-9401-84ACA78725EF.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

You got it the wrong way round Shelts. 

Signed by Mark Ashton, and allowed to do so by Lee Johnson. 

I know we’ve done this a million times, and I’m never gonna convince you otherwise, but you know my stance as to who is in charge of ins and outs down there. 

No you won’t Harry

So Ashton decides who’s we will sell and buy and Johnson says ‘ok’

Not a chance

Please don’t be offended but I have a vibe / sense that you have a ‘dog in the fight’ so to speak and as a result don’t particularly like Mark Ashton

Im no massive fan but he is the devil incarnate in your eyes

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

No you won’t Harry

So Ashton decides who’s we will sell and buy and Johnson says ‘ok’

Not a chance

Please don’t be offended but I have a vibe / sense that you have a ‘dog in the fight’ so to speak and as a result don’t particularly like Mark Ashton

Im no massive fan but he is the devil incarnate in your eyes

No offence taken mate, nay bother. 
You are correct, I don’t like him. 

How does Lee Johnson go from signing the likes of Mawson, Daniel Johnson, Ben Pearson, Clarke-Harris, Aiden White, Ivan Toney, Korey Smith, Josh Brownhill, Ashley Fletcher, Dan Crowley, Joe Rothwell, George Moncur, Michael Smith, in his stints at Oldham & Barnsley, to suddenly signing Engvall, Magnússon, Djuric, Hegeler, Diedhiou, Eliasson, Pisano, Massengo, Nagy. 
It’s not because he suddenly had a load of money and a new found penchant for random foreigners. It’s because he wasn’t in charge of it. 

30 minutes ago, Harry said:

Which team wins? 
Tonight’s or the one from 5 years ago, just prior to every transfer window since being managed by Ashton and his diligent team of analysts and his database. 
Which midfield controls possession and tempo. Which team creates? 

A232CD0A-9E07-4B53-A10E-8F60F0F80759.jpeg

F8F8617B-EA13-4F73-9401-84ACA78725EF.jpeg

My my, that side from 5 years ago beats this current one if they played tomorrow with all at the age they are now.

Stark insight this into how we have flailed around in the transfer market for 5 years on a mixture of unknowns, unprovens, vanity projects and “bad-fits”.

3 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Think i remember pulis saying lately in the press what a great chairman lansdown was but you may be right . 

Taken from https://www.bcfc.co.uk/fanzone/club-history/potted-history/

You'd hope it was right. It was SD that appointed Pulis. He also appointed Danny Wilson, I thought John Laycock did. Every day is a school day

1996: Scott Davidson is appointed Club Chairman and a new Board is put in place.

1997: City reach the Division Two play-off semi-finals, but fail to advance further after losing to Brentford 4-2 on aggregate.

1998: Under the managerial partnership of John Ward and Terry Connor, City secured the runners-up position in Division Two, finishing behind Watford, to claim a berth back to Division One. In the close-season Ade Akinbiyi became City's first million-pound player when he was signed from Gillingham for club record £1.2 million. Benny Lennartsson took charge of team affairs as Director of Coaching in late October after the departure of John Ward.

1999: City are relegated to Division Two. In July former Gillingham boss Tony Pulis is appointed as First Team Manager succeeding Benny Lennartsson, who leaves the club after a brief hand-over period. In September Ade Akinbiyi is sold to Wolves for a club record transfer fee of £3.5 million, becoming the Nationwide League's most expensive player. Marvin Brown becomes the youngest player to represent City at 16 years 71 days when comes on as a sub in a Worthington Cup tie at Nottingham Forest.

2000: Tony Pulis and Lindsay Parsons leave to join Portsmouth. Tony Fawthrop is named caretaker manager until the end of the season. He leads City to Wembley in the Auto-Windscreens Shield only to be beaten 2-1 in the final by Stoke. Tony Fawthrop was then appointed as manager immediately following the last game of the season. He stepped down within weeks following revelations in the local press. Danny Wilson was officially appointed as his replacement on the 26th June. John Laycock takes over from Scott Davidson as chairman.

3 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Taken from https://www.bcfc.co.uk/fanzone/club-history/potted-history/

You'd hope it was right. It was SD that appointed Pulis. He also appointed Danny Wilson, I thought John Laycock did. Every day is a school day

1996: Scott Davidson is appointed Club Chairman and a new Board is put in place.

1997: City reach the Division Two play-off semi-finals, but fail to advance further after losing to Brentford 4-2 on aggregate.

1998: Under the managerial partnership of John Ward and Terry Connor, City secured the runners-up position in Division Two, finishing behind Watford, to claim a berth back to Division One. In the close-season Ade Akinbiyi became City's first million-pound player when he was signed from Gillingham for club record £1.2 million. Benny Lennartsson took charge of team affairs as Director of Coaching in late October after the departure of John Ward.

1999: City are relegated to Division Two. In July former Gillingham boss Tony Pulis is appointed as First Team Manager succeeding Benny Lennartsson, who leaves the club after a brief hand-over period. In September Ade Akinbiyi is sold to Wolves for a club record transfer fee of £3.5 million, becoming the Nationwide League's most expensive player. Marvin Brown becomes the youngest player to represent City at 16 years 71 days when comes on as a sub in a Worthington Cup tie at Nottingham Forest.

2000: Tony Pulis and Lindsay Parsons leave to join Portsmouth. Tony Fawthrop is named caretaker manager until the end of the season. He leads City to Wembley in the Auto-Windscreens Shield only to be beaten 2-1 in the final by Stoke. Tony Fawthrop was then appointed as manager immediately following the last game of the season. He stepped down within weeks following revelations in the local press. Danny Wilson was officially appointed as his replacement on the 26th June. John Laycock takes over from Scott Davidson as chairman.

Yes you were right weve had such a list of yes men and failures its hard to keep up .

2 hours ago, Busterrimes said:

I find it funny that our last semi successful manager (Cotts) was not the choice of SL and the usual suspects. It was Keith Dawe who pushed for.

I recently watched the Bury AFC documentary. The board admitted they needed help interviewing for a manager so they had the Chester chairman on the panel. It’s a shame our board won’t admit their shortcomings and get help.

Without getting into the recruitment debate, Ashton was brought in to sack Cotterill.  Brought in during December 2015 to do the deed (before he was officially unveiled).  Cotterill knew he was on borrowed time because him and Keith Burt threw out Ashton’s database and recruitment stuff as soon as they walked through the door.  Cotts must’ve thought he’d seen the grim reaper when he turned up - and a month later he was gone.

I think Ashton is a decent Football Administrator, but not worth £450-500k pa.

It reminds me so much of my old work, when the new senior management would bring in consultants, only to find out they’d worked for them previously....and 6 months later they’d be employed in freshly created senior roles.

SL’s biggest fault is not bringing in a senior football man.  He’s brought in a non-football man who does football administration.  Yes I know Ashton has been involved in football all his career, but he’s knows about how to coordinate a football business not get results on the pitch.

Ashton took a big risk with Holden, he’s basically said he’s the best he could recruit.  I said at the time, Holden will make Ashton or break him.

I’ve really liked a lot of stuff Holden has done, but recognise he’s under pressure, and his inexperience has shown over the past half a dozen games.  He has had terrible injury problems.  Let’s not compare to Norwich, whose injuries lasted two games before Pukki etc came back, and had a far better squad than us to choose from too.  He now needs to galvanise the remaining fit players asap.

Ashton won’t be sitting comfortably tonight.

3 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Yep. Can't see us ever getting to the Prem with Lansdown at the helm

It’s a tough one but I definitely agree. Lansdown is a great safety net, we’ll never go bust with him, but he does hold us back so much. May be an unpopular opinion and I fully appreciate why people love the bloke, but I’ve wanted him gone for a while now.

Archived