IGNORED

Mark Ashton.

BCFC1512

22 minutes ago, BigTone said:

So you honestly think the Head Coach has no contact with the clubs scouting network or the nationwide scouting network that exists.  Remember there are freelance scouts out there also.

I know there are. I used to be one. I know a number of people who still are. I also know some of the ‘non-freelance’ scouts too. 
None of them report into the head coach. 

Do they have “contact”. Sure. But they don’t “feed into” or report to him. 

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

I know there are. I used to be one. I know a number of people who still are. I also know some of the ‘non-freelance’ scouts too. 
None of them report into the head coach. 

Do they have “contact”. Sure. But they don’t “feed into” or report to him. 

Splitting hairs now with figures of speech aren't we.  Isn't having contact the same as "feeding into" or "reporting" ? If not then why have contact ?

Ashton was integral to the LJ problem. He is full of BS and Lansdown seems completely star struck by him. Sl seems like a giddy teenager and believes the total nonsense this bafoon peddles. There is no plan, no strategy , it is all made up. A classic case of a fool and their money being parted. There are others on this forum that know what goes on, and in some detail. We have become a joke in the profressional circles. One day someone will really get hold of the club, and implement a true strategy . It is not about the money, Lansdown has done that, but the application and delivery has been woeful. The club are miles behind Brentford or Southampton. 2 realistic and also real or tangible references. Ashton needs getting rid asap. 

I am not sure Ashton is neccessarily the problem but it's more the board set up. 

Ashton clearly from a financial stand point knows how to run a football club and make it profitable. 

However, he clearly isn't a football man as such. I personally am not sure what JL brings to the party. Not sure what his credentials are? From the interviews he's given doesn't strike me as someone who knows an awful lot about football. 

We need an ex player/manager on the board or a director of football to move forward I think. 

The club clearly isn't being run well from a footballing point of view. We obviously impulsively sacked LJ and have any idea on who we were going to replace him with. 

Our recruitment has been largely poor as well. Don't mind selling our best players for big money but at least have a player somewhat similar to them lined up to sign afterwards.

We seem to constantly sign players who just don't fit into our managers style.

54 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

I am not sure Ashton is neccessarily the problem but it's more the board set up. 

Ashton clearly from a financial stand point knows how to run a football club and make it profitable. 

However, he clearly isn't a football man as such. I personally am not sure what JL brings to the party. Not sure what his credentials are? From the interviews he's given doesn't strike me as someone who knows an awful lot about football. 

We need an ex player/manager on the board or a director of football to move forward I think. 

The club clearly isn't being run well from a footballing point of view. We obviously impulsively sacked LJ and have any idea on who we were going to replace him with. 

Our recruitment has been largely poor as well. Don't mind selling our best players for big money but at least have a player somewhat similar to them lined up to sign afterwards.

I know it is a whole different scenario but the fundamental point is the same. 

This has been thrown at Ed Woodward at Man Utd. Exceptional at the commercial aspect, but since David Gill left he's failed to step up into the footballing side of things. 

Some people are not up to it, but they make the owners money so they turn a blind eye to it 

1 hour ago, MATT BCFC said:

LJ was sacked because he failed to reach the target dictated by SL - namely season on season progress having done so in previous seasons. There was nothing impulsive about it.

Not having a replacement lined up was so that the club should show how thorough they were in recruiting a new head coach and why it took so long.

Threads like this really do make me smile tho............;)

City have lost three of the last four by serving up dire and pedestrian football with no flair or creativity but sit 9th in the table and two points off the top six and yet some otib posters are already suggesting who could replace DH..............

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ was sacked because he failed to reach the target dictated by SL - namely season on season progress having done so in previous seasons. There was nothing impulsive about it.

Not having a replacement lined up was so that the club should show how thorough they were in recruiting a new head coach and why it took so long.

City have lost three of the last four by serving up dire and pedestrian football with no flair or creativity but sit 9th in the table and two points off the top six and yet some otib posters are already suggesting who could replace DH..............

So thorough they ended up appointing someone who was already at the club? 

If your even considering sacking the manager you should have at least an idea of who you want.

The fact we interviewed such different managers highlighted we had no clear idea or plan. 

Sacking Johnson for not making the playoffs and then replacing him someone who has no managerial experience makes no sense to me. 

Fans are suggesting a managerial change because it's obvious we are further away from being playoff contenders, something the board by sacking LJ have shown we should be expecting now.

4 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

So thorough they ended up appointing someone who was already at the club? 

If your even considering sacking the manager you should have at least an idea of who you want.

The fact we interviewed such different managers highlighted we had no clear idea or plan. 

Sacking Johnson for not making the playoffs and then replacing him someone who has no managerial experience makes no sense to me. 

Fans are suggesting a managerial change because it's obvious we are further away from being playoff contenders, something the board by sacking LJ have shown we should be expecting now.

It made little sense to any of us at first - However when you think about it  SLs mantra  is  ‘sustainability and stability’  and by appointing DH stability is maintained but with the addition of two vastly experienced assistants - new blood in other words.

Managerial change destabilises any club and after 19 games in a 46 game season it’s premature to even think about replacing DH. There’s a long way to go yet.

Agree. The problems we have are stemming from the way the club is being run just as much as they are by moments on the pitch. The current model is great for the clubs accounts (nothing wrong with that) but is hindering our progress on the pitch. I said my piece in the meltdown thread so won’t repeat myself here.

End of the day we’re a football club, we’re not fans of a business (although yes we must turn a profit). A DoF who’s got promotion experience (if we’re going to keep refusing to get a top manager) is vital if we’re to push on.

36 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We’ve been playing like this all season, against Sheffield Wednesday for example we had 3 shots on target and 58% of the ball. That’s only 2 more than we had against Milwall where we had 68% of the ball. Point is we’ve been having plenty of the ball and done nothing with it most of the season, we were just clinical with our chances at the start of the season and that appears to have stopped. Maybe I’m too negative, but looking at the basic stats not much seems to have changed.

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It made little sense to any of us at first - However when you think about it  SLs mantra  is  ‘sustainability and stability’  and by appointing DH stability is maintained but with the addition of two vastly experienced assistants - new blood in other words.

Managerial change destabilises any club and after 19 games in a 46 game season it’s premature to even think about replacing DH. There’s a long way to go yet.

I completely agree. So why did they only give him a 12 month contract which means they can effectively get rid at any point?   As others say on this thread the appointment smacked of a complete lack of joined up thinking and of any long term plan at all based upon the time it took and the array of different managers that were seriously linked, never mind SLs comments towards the start of the process. 

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

SLs mantra  is  ‘sustainability and stability’  

How about the other S word - success?

The two ' vastly experienced assistants' have added nothing at all.  I see no improvement in our play, tactics, set pieces or game plan......in fact all these seem to be as bad or even worse than LJ's boring fare.

Names of available managers like Howe and Bilic are aired but these guys won't work under our system where Ashton is in full control of recruitment. Clearly Cotterill didn't want to work under him either as Ashton came back in immediately SC was sacked. It will always be a LJ Holden type - Simpson will be next I'm sure - whilst Ashton runs the ship.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I agree I don't think we should be sacking him now. My point is I don't think it would make any difference even if we did sack him because of the way the club is being run.

I agree I don't think we should be sacking him now. My point is I don't think it would make any difference even if we did sack him because of the way the club is being run.

Exactly.

Regarding the business and financial part of the football side Ashton is doing reasonably ok if you just look at the numbers (incoming transfer fees paid, outgoing transfer fees achieved, wages paid - competitive but no one's on stupid money - Agent fees etc)  they are decent given our position and that appeals to the accountant Stephen Lansdown.  On the playing side of the football business he has failed in his primary duty which is to appoint the right Head Coach to take the club where it desires to be, and - if he is going to be in charge of recruitment - furnish the HC with the required players to achieve it.

Archived