IGNORED

For god sake, get some perspective

DaveInSA

• Admin
38 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Have you seen our injury list? 

Mawson, Pato, Baker, Williams, DaSilva,Walsh,Wiemann, Sessegnon.

Am I missing anyone? 

Seriously, that's 7 first team players out injured. Yes it's not great, but the world's not ******* great at the moment. Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Wednesday. Give Holden a chance when the world isn't upside down, eh.  Why is it always such drama with our support?

Does that excuse the fact those on the pitch, again can't pass forwards, can't win a 50/50 tackle and create no goal scoring chances. 

You are as deluded as Jurgen Klopp blaming injuries, EVERYONE HAS THEM

Passing the buck, passing responsibility, passing backwards, passing sideways, passing chances to move forward, passing everything but the ball. I have always wondered why our teams have difficulty passing to a player that enables him to control it, that enables him to move forward onto the ball and why we don't have a problem passing straight to the opposition.

I can forgive lots of things when it's going wrong but, these are basic requirements of being part of and being a whole football team. If you can't pass to your own player and give him a decent chance of controlling and moving away from the opposition with the ball, then there's not a lot of point being a footballer.

We have a team of individuals who don't trust themselves or their team mates. All they do is pass responsibility to the next player and usually across the back line or a hopeful punt down the line. We show a complete lack of desire, strength and ability to break down what I thought tonight was a very average Milwall team, who just needed to keep their shape and close our back three down for an easy three points.

When you don't even have an attempt on goal in the whole of the second half against one of the bottom teams, that are in the midst of a dreadful run of ten games without a win, then there's little chance of even a sniff of success. We should have been champing at the bit to get stuck into these, but it would appear that once more our pussy players were outfought and outplayed.

Forget the injuries, forget the sending off, that was one of the most inept performances I've ever witnessed in 54 years of watching City. We have slowly and surely got worse and worse as the season has progressed. Our next opponents have got us completely sorted out and just need to play things simple, knowing that we'll give possession away through poor passing, poor control or, poor effort under pressure due to being physically weak.

We don't have any leaders, which should start at the goalkeeper taking responsibility, forget making a few saves, what about coming out and collecting the ball that you've watched come over diagonally from the far side of the pitch, which you could and should have walked out to catch, instead of letting it travel and allow a Milwall player to get his toe on it and nearly score. We don't have any in the defense who'll bark orders, warnings or encouragement. We don't have any in midfield who'll gee up someone or praise someone. As for the strikers, which I had a bit of hope for at the beginning of the season, we have one who is willing to shoot but is usually to far away from goal, one who has only had two attempts and one goal, another who couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo and another who is brilliant at defending corners and not too much else.

Basically, there is no spark or invention within the whole of this team. It is a unit, a coached unit which appears to have only one way to perform, if that is nullified sufficiently, then we can only hope to nick a goal. 

6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

You talk about players with pace and trickery who take people on, but unfortunately those skills don’t seem to fit with City’s style of play.  We’ve gone back to the Sean O’Driscoll style of play with lots of slow sideways possession in our own half. It’s so easy to defend. Just sit back and let City wander around aimlessly and then launch a quick counter attack 

Your first sentence sums it up, we as a club are not interested in playing attacking football. It’s safety first, we hope to keep a clean sheet and sneak a 1-0 win. 

It’s dire, it’s negative, it’s not worth watching. It’s not the game I’ve loved all my life. 

If i’m honest, I enjoyed watching us play in the fourth division 100 times more than I do watching us in the Championship 2020. What I’ve watched for the last 2-3 years is making me doubt why I would want to go to Ashton Gate. 

Football used to be entertaining, what I’m watching is far far from entertainment. 

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

Passing the buck, passing responsibility, passing backwards, passing sideways, passing chances to move forward, passing everything but the ball. I have always wondered why our teams have difficulty passing to a player that enables him to control it, that enables him to move forward onto the ball and why we don't have a problem passing straight to the opposition.

I can forgive lots of things when it's going wrong but, these are basic requirements of being part of and being a whole football team. If you can't pass to your own player and give him a decent chance of controlling and moving away from the opposition with the ball, then there's not a lot of point being a footballer.

We have a team of individuals who don't trust themselves or their team mates. All they do is pass responsibility to the next player and usually across the back line or a hopeful punt down the line. We show a complete lack of desire, strength and ability to break down what I thought tonight was a very average Milwall team, who just needed to keep their shape and close our back three down for an easy three points.

When you don't even have an attempt on goal in the whole of the second half against one of the bottom teams, that are in the midst of a dreadful run of ten games without a win, then there's little chance of even a sniff of success. We should have been champing at the bit to get stuck into these, but it would appear that once more our pussy players were outfought and outplayed.

Forget the injuries, forget the sending off, that was one of the most inept performances I've ever witnessed in 54 years of watching City. We have slowly and surely got worse and worse as the season has progressed. Our next opponents have got us completely sorted out and just need to play things simple, knowing that we'll give possession away through poor passing, poor control or, poor effort under pressure due to being physically weak.

We don't have any leaders, which should start at the goalkeeper taking responsibility, forget making a few saves, what about coming out and collecting the ball that you've watched come over diagonally from the far side of the pitch, which you could and should have walked out to catch, instead of letting it travel and allow a Milwall player to get his toe on it and nearly score. We don't have any in the defense who'll bark orders, warnings or encouragement. We don't have any in midfield who'll gee up someone or praise someone. As for the strikers, which I had a bit of hope for at the beginning of the season, we have one who is willing to shoot but is usually to far away from goal, one who has only had two attempts and one goal, another who couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo and another who is brilliant at defending corners and not too much else.

Basically, there is no spark or invention within the whole of this team. It is a unit, a coached unit which appears to have only one way to perform, if that is nullified sufficiently, then we can only hope to nick a goal. 

I’m out of likes, cracking post, you sum it up ?

We are having exactly the same discussions and arguments as we were under LJ. 

Let's face it, nothing has changed.

The football is bland at best, almost unwatchable at worst.

Home form is still a major problem.

Results are streaky

Injury list is much higher than what can reasonably be expected.

We can go two or three games in a row of barely creating a shot on target.

Games we do win are often fortunate and/or the result of one moment of class.

These are all reasons why we needed to move on from LJ and have a fresh approach.Instead, we appointed a man who was a big part of the problem, and sure enough, it's still the same old story.

17 minutes ago, Rich said:

Yeah but apart from that we’re doing ok

3 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Results are streaky

These are all reasons why we needed to move on from LJ and have a fresh approach.Instead, we appointed a man who was a big part of the problem, and sure enough, it's still the same old story.

It's surprising how many players end up on the physios bed when there's a struggle going on. Expect one of Martin or Wells to get injured soon, possibly both.

31 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

The occasional kick of the ball towards those white posts would help. Saying that, we have to get over the halfway line first, but not before we manage 45 square passes! 

It used to be such a straightforward game this football, I can remember a time when we had ( for younger viewers) a player or two they called “wingers”. They would have pace and a bit of trickery, they would take people on, with the idea that they would feed the strikers when those strikers were actually facing the oppositions goal.

I know that sounds really far fetched, but honestly it used to happen. 

It was when football matches would often be exciting. 

Oh how I long for some of that.

So true . Seems to me we don't have the players now to change how we play even with most injured players back our style of football wont change.

Were just a bang average team with little or no flair. Do we have any player in the squad that if crowds were back would get you off your seat?

The season is just gona drift away if we finish top half i would be surprised. Just a bore fest.

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

It's surprising how many players end up on the physios bed when there's a struggle going on. Expect one of Martin or Wells to get injured soon, possibly both.

Wells took a nothing knock played on tried to take a shot then 30 seconds later decided perhaps my shoulder hurts, looked like a player doing a Baker and wanting some time off near Christmas.

10 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Results are streaky

At least under LJ (and not trying to defend him or want him back) but he would bring on Eliasson or Palmer to atrack, Holden just got rid of them.

4 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Wells took a nothing knock played on tried to take a shot then 30 seconds later decided perhaps my shoulder hurts, looked like a player doing a Baker and wanting some time off near Christmas.

Wells was half hearted in everything he did tonight imo. Lacked the bottle to fight the Millwall centre half’s.

Saying that, I do feel for him, he’s a goal scorer who given some service will score goals. 

But, he needs to ball in front of him facing goal, he needs crosses from the byline to run on to, he needs quicker service, he needs the occasional third man runner to take one of the centre half’s away. None of this is happening because we are a sterile dull football team.

1 hour ago, Badger08 said:

Am I missing anyone? 

Seriously, that's 7 first team players out injured. Yes it's not great, but the world's not ******* great at the moment. Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Wednesday. Give Holden a chance when the world isn't upside down, eh.  Why is it always such drama with our support?

Am I supposed to be content with us managing 6 shots across 2 games against Rotherham and Millwall?

Get a grip man.

1 hour ago, TomThumb84 said:

Meltdown?!

I would defy anyone to find me worse back to back performances (considering the strength of the opposition) than what we have just been served up v Rotherham and Millwall...

Ooh, that’s easy - here is an example of worse back to back performances - 1998 - Bradford 5 City 0 .... City 1 Wolves 6 ... cracking start under Benny’s management! ???

2 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Wells was half hearted in everything he did tonight imo. 

He’s been half-hearted ever since he signed! Unfortunately he’s not the only one  

and as for it being like Tinnion, in terms of performance then yes; in terms of an honest appraisal after a shite performance, then it’s miles apart. At least Brian cared enough to sit despondently in the Swansea dugout for an hour after the game. How Holden can say it was a better performance with two shots the whole game beats me. We’ve been shot shy for so long, it’s become ingrained. 
We are in danger of AG being renamed as Bristol City Nil  

Thought the team looked a bit dispirited towards the end. They knew as well as we did that the team / system was never going to score. We all have our favourite scapegoats but to me Martin is completely devoid of pace and movement. A few knock downs a game is not much of a contribution. What Holden does against Preston I don't know as we are really running out of players now. Another defeat and we could be in freefall as we make limited teams look like world beaters.

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

The occasional kick of the ball towards those white posts would help. Saying that, we have to get over the halfway line first, but not before we manage 45 square passes! 

It used to be such a straightforward game this football, I can remember a time when we had ( for younger viewers) a player or two they called “wingers”. They would have pace and a bit of trickery, they would take people on, with the idea that they would feed the strikers when those strikers were actually facing the oppositions goal.

I know that sounds really far fetched, but honestly it used to happen. 

It was when football matches would often be exciting. 

Oh how I long for some of that.

My first City game was 44 years ago come January. I've seen some crap over the years but I've also seen some exciting football in Division one to Division four back up to today in the championship. This is dire. No excuses, just a really poor team performance. Lee used to 'over coach' players so they didn't play their natural game. I hope DH isn't falling into that way of thinking from his original statement.

2 hours ago, Badger08 said:

Am I missing anyone? 

I think that people recognise that but they still expect effort, commitment and - dare I say it- an attempt to entertain in a home game. A single shot on target and no corners from 65% possession is unacceptable at any level of football.

51 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Wells was half hearted in everything he did tonight imo. Lacked the bottle to fight the Millwall centre half’s.

Saying that, I do feel for him, he’s a goal scorer who given some service will score goals. 

But, he needs to ball in front of him facing goal, he needs crosses from the byline to run on to, he needs quicker service, he needs the occasional third man runner to take one of the centre half’s away. None of this is happening because we are a sterile dull football team.

For me only 4 players came out of tonight with anything near an average performance.  Wells was one of them.  He’s feeding off of scraps.  3 shots for the team tonight....all Wells.  The others btw were Bentley, Mariappa and Massengo.  Not saying any of these were great....just far better than the others.  Moore tried but he has lapses of concentration on the ball.

Bakinson, Nagy and Martin were anonymous tonight.

2 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

Oh dear.

There are some guys out there that are shrinking and I am sorry to say that the “leaders” we thought we had in the squad are not helping the younger guys and a couple of them appear to be almost sulking. You do not need this going on, a dressing room is easy to lose when things are like this.

Problem is Dean Holden got the job wanting to play a system that we do not have the personnel for, and we cannot find a system to get any kind of performance out the personnel we do have.

These are very alarming times and I thought we rode our luck start of the season, but teams are actually fancying us and we look a weak, poor side right now.

A good time to playing at least one of the kids to give us a little verve. But nope. Let’s not bother with the obvious. 

Should the team play better and create more chances? Yes, especially at home...but one thing is basic passing (often too poor), another one is producing chances: let's not forget that our strongest assist-maker was sold (Eliasson) and then we lost Weimann's link-up work too; Walsh is still injured, and we can't always rely on Paterson (who has been carrying an injury too) or Semenyo..

Have we solved some of our chronic problems (ex: suffering against physical teams)? Maybe not...but I remember that many of us were pleased to have signed players with a battling spirit like Mawson, J.Williams and Martin. Well, the first two are injured right now, and the third one's form is lowering.

The combination of injuries and fixtures congestion is having a huge impact on our team: it gives less options to Holden, it bring tiredness (that sometimes can be mistaken with a lack of effort)...and it hasn't the same weight for every team: Norwich's reserves are probably stronger than many of our first-teamers, Rotherham first choices are probably weaker than some of our reserves, etc.   

That's why I understand - and partially share - the disappointment about our performances and some results (Brum, Millers), but I think that we shouldn't blame too much Holden and the players in this moment. When some key players will recover, we'll be able to make a better evaluation about the team's level and Dean's ideas.

Unfortunately the number of our injuries is increasing, the form of many players worsened, and the next weeks will probably be really complicated for us...but I hope that January will bring some positive news at last (some players back, from injury or loans).  COYR!

7 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

Should the team play better and create more chances? Yes, especially at home...but one thing is basic passing (often too poor), another one is producing chances: let's not forget that our strongest assist-maker was sold (Eliasson) and then we lost Weimann's link-up work too; Walsh is still injured, and we can't always rely on Paterson (who has been carrying an injury too) or Semenyo..

Have we solved some of our chronic problems (ex: suffering against physical teams)? Maybe not...but I remember that many of us were pleased to have signed players with a battling spirit like Mawson, J.Williams and Martin. Well, the first two are injured right now, and the third one's form is lowering.

The combination of injuries and fixtures congestion is having a huge impact on our team: it gives less options to Holden, it bring tiredness (that sometimes can be mistaken with a lack of effort)...and it hasn't the same weight for every team: Norwich's reserves are probably stronger than many of our first-teamers, Rotherham first choices are probably weaker than some of our reserves, etc.   

That's why I understand - and partially share - the disappointment about our performances and some results (Brum, Millers), but I think that we shouldn't blame too much Holden and the players in this moment. When some key players will recover, we'll be able to make a better evaluation about the team's level and Dean's ideas.

Unfortunately the number of our injuries is increasing, the form of many players worsened, and the next weeks will probably be really complicated for us...but I hope that January will bring some positive news at last (some players back, from injury or loans).  COYR!

I don't really think the injury crisis can be solely blamed on bad luck. We shouldn't have sold Joe Morrell or Korey Smith when we knew there was such an intense run of fixtures coming up and would need a big squad, and sicknote Baker should've been binned off ages ago

13 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I don't really think the injury crisis can be solely blamed on bad luck. We shouldn't have sold Joe Morrell or Korey Smith when we knew there was such an intense run of fixtures coming up and would need a big squad, and sicknote Baker should've been binned off ages ago

Not solely, but many of them are. The only predictable injuries IMO were Mawson's and Brunt's ones (injury record + age); Walsh was already a City player so bringing him back was a logical move, but I think that when we signed Williams nodoby expected such a long absence for him, not to mention a season-long injury to Weimann, who has been one of our fittest players since he arrived. Then there are players who seem to have minor injuries (Pato, Dasilva, maybe Kalas) and should be rested for a while...but are forced to play almost every game, so their problems worsen.  Maybe at the start of the season Holden could have made more changes in midfield to give some rest to Andi and Pato, but in this case injuries could have hit other players (Nagy or Massengo), so... ?

Talking about transfers...I'd have kept Korey for his experience but with his injury record it would have been a risk, whereas I guess that Morrell's departure was mainly due to necessity of selling someone to lighten our wage bill (maybe if we didn't sign Brunt...).

IMO in the current financial climate we won't be able to do much in the transfer window...so I'd bring back Adelakun if Dean wants to play 4-3-3 or Palmer if he prefers a return to 3-5-2 (with two holding/defensive midfielders to ''support'' Kasey).  It wouldn't guarantee better passing quality or more chances (aspects that need more work in training) but they could be useful.

Archived