IGNORED

Something is missing

dREDful

Get ready for a relegation scrap next season!

Doesn't matter how many injuries we currently have, this is a group of players who have been training together throughout this coaching staff's tenure andthis is a very very VERY badly coached side.

We can't pass the ball 5 yards in any direction, the full backs are being taught to not be Championship full backs and no one wants to attack. The only basics we are managing is running onto the pitch on time for kick off. 

Really really concerning times ahead it feels. 

For the past 2 seasons we have been:

1) Consistently poor at home

2) Consistently poor against Top 6

3) Consistently poor against clubs at bottom of league with something to fight for

These three things have been the only consistent thing about us for a long time now and have bridged the Johnson-Holden gap.

Why is that?

IMO it suggests we do not do well when under pressure or when favourites (also pressure). Which suggests we are missing some leadership/characters in the side. Or the coaches are not freeing the players up enough to play without fear. 

i think we need an experienced old pro, central midfielder with leadership ability in January (Brunt may be experienced but he’s not a leader). Someone to drive this team on. Or maybe Williams/Walsh have the characters to do this?

Soft underbelly.

It's really quite simple.

There have only been three successful managers at this football club in the last thirty years. Joe Jordan, Gary Johnson and Steve Cotterill.

The only three that wouldn't allow it.

Edit: Every rule has an exception. Maybe John Ward was that.

4 months is enough to see that appointing the assistant of the last failed regime isn’t going to work as most of us expected.

Unfortunately the performances are just as bad as they were under LJ the past two years, and we as fans shouldn’t be lapping it up given the type of managers that did want the job and where we really could be under them.

Another failed appointment of a bloke with little managerial experience Lansdown, I know for a fact you read this forum so if you are when will you learn?

Thanks for your efforts Deano but it’s not cutting it.

2 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Creativity. We haven’t had it and still don’t really. A loan / buy for a creative player in Jan  would be my number 1 priority.

I’m not convinced that a creative player is gonna stop us getting beat at home by the likes of Millwall Birmingham and Preston every season. Those teams just consistently stop us from playing full stop. Think we need some athletes who can mix it up physically as well as play a bit.

19 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Soft underbelly.

There have only been three successful managers at this football club in the last thirty years. Joe Jordan, Gary Johnson and Steve Cotterill.

You’ve just listed my top four managers there and then. Everyone of them successful, everyone of them their own man. 

21 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Soft underbelly.

Nail On the head for me. Problem is though that these sort of managers don’t fit the current BCFC blueprint. Only a yes man or a rookie starting out in the game (Holden) fit the current set up. It’s painful but nothing will change with the current set up at board room level.

It’s not just one thing but it all starts in the midfield. We can’t seem to achieve a balance of creativity, movement and strength. Unfortunately at present we seem to have none of those, and that has been a repeated problem over the past few years.

And it’s not like we haven’t had decent midfield players in that time (Brownhill now doing well at Burnley, Smith thriving at Swansea) but that neither LJ nor Holden can seem to find a consistent successful mix.

3 minutes ago, bris red said:

Nail On the head for me. Problem is though that these sort of managers don’t fit the current BCFC blueprint. Only a yes man or a rookie starting out in the game (Holden) fit the current set up. It’s painful but nothing will change with the current set up at board room level.

Absolutely correct. Hence why SC got the sack and LJ kept his job for years. 

The thing that is missing is ambition and by that I mean that we play the same at home as we do away.

Away, we play as a tight, compact unit who's purpose is to contain the opposition and create a few chances and hope we can take one or 2 and hang on for the win and, IT WORKS. Our away record is decent HOWEVER, we replicate this at home PLUS, we have no real attacking threat or pattern of play that creates chances. We do not have any players who run directly at goal (as Millwall did every opportunity that they had tonight) and are an immediate threat

I am not going to be so harsh as some about tonight's performance in terms of effort, I thought the players put a shift in but the fact is we simply cannot handle big, physical sides. Rotherham and Millwall bullied us all game and we were never in it and didn't look likely to score, maybe we should apply to play all our games away...

IMO, football is now broken, those of a betting persuasion may have noted that there are an increasing number of games where one team will not have a corner in 45 minutes of play, WTF is going on...??!!! The answer is this tediously dull endless passing and possession game (for OPTA stats)where a full back, wing back or whatever you want to call them acts as if they will get fined if they even consider crossing the ball and will endlessly play the ball back or cut inside. I tell you, Pepe has a LOT to answer for...

Anyway, I am going to stop now as I am getting a serious case of flashback as I realise that I am typing pretty much the same as I did under the previous management. Don't get me wrong, I would love DH to succeed but despite a promising start, we are reverting to type...

19 minutes ago, bris red said:

Exactly this.

A proven manager with a history of success and achievement will come in and want some element of say or control over transfers, PR, media “direction of travel”, culture etc.

This would mean a dilution of role for one or more of our Board, which none are about to allow to happen.

Mark Ashton is pretty much omnipotent across almost every facet of our club and because of this the club can currently only appoint one kind of manager.

When we were told that Dean Holden was the “outstanding candidate for the job”, he was, but for the board and the current structure, he was the only choice. They know it deep down too as the appointment of Simpson and Downing was clearly to offer some experience and support.

Unfortunately, to answer your question, the thing missing is humility, which would in turn mean that some power can be devolved in order to move the club as a whole forward.

2 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Exactly this.

A proven manager with a history of success and achievement will come in and want some element of say or control over transfers, PR, media “direction of travel”, culture etc.

This would mean a dilution of role for one or more of our Board, which none are about to allow to happen.

Mark Ashton is pretty much omnipotent across almost every facet of our club and because of this the club can currently only appoint one kind of manager.

Yep and whereas he could hide behind LJ he can’t hide behind Holden this time as Holden is front and centre his appointment.  The amount of heat heading his way already in comparison to when LJ was struggling and barely any mention was made about the clubs hierarchy is very interesting. 

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

Yep and whereas he could hide behind LJ he can’t hide behind Holden this time as Holden is front and centre his appointment.  The amount of heat heading his way already in comparison to when LJ was struggling and barely any mention was made about the clubs hierarchy is very interesting.

It’s not though Len is it

Anyone who thinks it’s not SLs (With I’d suggest a major input by JL) is naive IMHO

Ashton Is merely the frontman

25 minutes ago, sludge said:

I’m not convinced that a creative player is gonna stop us getting beat at home by the likes of Millwall Birmingham and Preston every season. Those teams just consistently stop us from playing full stop. Think we need some athletes who can mix it up physically as well as play a bit.

Maybe not but wouldn't it be nice to watch.

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

It’s not though Len is it

Anyone who thinks it’s not SLs (With I’d suggest a major input by JL) is naive IMHO

Ashton Is merely the frontman

JL didn’t look very happy at all upon his appointment in his interview - certainly no glowing endorsement  iirc?  And MA gave a massive spiel about how Dean was his candidate and his recommendation to SL didn’t he? No doubt at all that SL signs off but MA appointed DH to ensure that his power base wasn’t challenged imho. 

Just now, sludge said:

Not if the team as a whole is still not functioning properly and getting embarrassed like we did tonight. 

So if we had a creative player in midfield and maybe a wide player that could take a player on and make a chance for our strikers it would be to the detriment of our fast flowing football?

Archived