IGNORED

Something is missing

dREDful

Comes down to a mixture of man management, tactics, and player recruitment.

Foremost has been missing since Cotts.

Tactics has been missing since LJ second season and having Bobby up front.

Latter has been hit and miss since Cotts. Would I trust Holden to know what we need? Not really.

We need to get someone like McCarthy in or Jokanovic. Get a settled system, couple Wingers on loan. Evaluate. No point backing Holden when he's clearly a fill in, otherwise you wouldn't offer a 12-month rolling deal.

Ultimately I feel losing Rhys Carr has been the biggest loss within the coaching staff along with Cotts and Pemberton the last 6 years.

10 hours ago, sludge said:

I’m not convinced that a creative player is gonna stop us getting beat at home by the likes of Millwall Birmingham and Preston every season. Those teams just consistently stop us from playing full stop. Think we need some athletes who can mix it up physically as well as play a bit.

Fair in that you have to compete first before being able to play, but then we’ve been able to do that away against teams like Cardiff. It’s when space is limited that you need something more I think.

10 hours ago, bris red said:

Nail On the head for me. Problem is though that these sort of managers don’t fit the current BCFC blueprint. Only a yes man or a rookie starting out in the game (Holden) fit the current set up. It’s painful but nothing will change with the current set up at board room level.

Beat me to it, @bris red, and I'm out of likes. You're absolutely spot on, as is @Superjack's post about JJ, GJ & SC.

We are crying out for a manager with a bit of pedigree, not a head coach, a manager. Why SL cannot see what's been obvious since SC left is beyond me, and we will continue going round and round in circles unless the board changes strategy. 

30 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Fair in that you have to compete first before being able to play, but then we’ve been able to do that away against teams like Cardiff. It’s when space is limited that you need something more I think.

Interesting point and I agree that when space is limited we are in need of something extra.

However I think it could be argued that away at places like Cardiff we have not actually competed that well physically (despite managing to get results) and have been under the cosh for large periods of those type of games. The difference being that the home team have generally engaged us higher up the pitch - leaving more space in behind - which we manage to exploit fairly successfully away from home.

At AG we're just not getting that space in behind, and our lack of pace and creativity does not help.

14 minutes ago, sludge said:

Interesting point and I agree that when space is limited we are in need of something extra.

However I think it could be argued that away at places like Cardiff we have not actually competed that well physically (despite managing to get results) and have been under the cosh for large periods of those type of games. The difference being that the home team have generally engaged us higher up the pitch - leaving more space in behind - which we manage to exploit fairly successfully away from home.

At AG we're just not getting that space in behind, and our lack of pace and creativity does not help.

True enough - Blackburn coming on to is a good example of a team allowing us space

Three things, and a Postscript about tonight...........1).Is the goal line technology, which is available in the Prem prohibitively expensive?  As I am certain that Wells's free kick crossed the line. 2) Massengo made a bad mistake for the 2nd goal. 3) Diedhiou should NOT have been sent off   PS.  Who was the co-commentator on Highlights? He sounded as disinterested and half-asleep as the team on the pitch?

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Three things, and a Postscript about tonight...........1).Is the goal line technology, which is available in the Prem prohibitively expensive?  As I am certain that Wells's free kick crossed the line. 2) Massengo made a bad mistake for the 2nd goal. 3) Diedhiou should NOT have been sent off   PS.  Who was the co-commentator on Highlights? He sounded as disinterested and half-asleep as the team on the pitch?

1. goal line technology has been 18 months ,  and is being used in the Championship

2 .

3 You're having a laugh , two clueless challenges - he lost the plot , and not for the first time

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

1, You missed when it was analysed and shown where the ball was not over the line then

2, HNM was the best of a poor midfield last night having been frozen out for months, so gets plenty of slack from me

3, FAM maybe a bit unlucky but can see why given, when he came on he was trying to hard to impress as Holden does not want to start him, even though he has played less minutes than others and Martin has been useless recently.

13 hours ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

IMO, football is now broken, those of a betting persuasion may have noted that there are an increasing number of games where one team will not have a corner in 45 minutes of play, WTF is going on...??!!! The answer is this tediously dull endless passing and possession game (for OPTA stats)where a full back, wing back or whatever you want to call them acts as if they will get fined if they even consider crossing the ball and will endlessly play the ball back or cut inside. I tell you, Pepe has a LOT to answer for...

Agreed.

Professional football has always existed as a spectator sport to entertain the masses.

When there is little or no excitement, very little exceptional skill on display, and the masses stop feeling entertained, both at the grounds and the TV, there is no point to it, and it will die.

BCFC was all that was keeping my interest in professional football going and, sorry to say, that interest is waning rapidly.

15 hours ago, dREDful said:

Get ready for a relegation scrap next season!

Doesn't matter how many injuries we currently have, this is a group of players who have been training together throughout this coaching staff's tenure andthis is a very very VERY badly coached side.

We can't pass the ball 5 yards in any direction, the full backs are being taught to not be Championship full backs and no one wants to attack. The only basics we are managing is running onto the pitch on time for kick off. 

Really really concerning times ahead it feels. 

Next season. I cannot see how this team coached by Holden can win a game at the moment. 

4 hours ago, maxjak said:

‘ Whispering ‘ Andi Weimann, winner of the most boring voice of the year competition 2018.

Last year’s winner.

0A2212F4-6264-42C6-A574-60CDE0FDC1B0.jpeg

17 hours ago, dREDful said:

Get ready for a relegation scrap next season!

Doesn't matter how many injuries we currently have, this is a group of players who have been training together throughout this coaching staff's tenure andthis is a very very VERY badly coached side.

We can't pass the ball 5 yards in any direction, the full backs are being taught to not be Championship full backs and no one wants to attack. The only basics we are managing is running onto the pitch on time for kick off. 

Really really concerning times ahead it feels. 

Why do so many people say that it doesn’t matter how many injuries we have?  If England took 23 players to the World Cup and lost 8 to injuries during the group stages, would people say it doesn’t matter?

Do you honestly think a player misplaces a pass because they are badly coached?  

What has happened is that the injuries combined with the very heavy schedule have taken their toll, and confidence and morale have suffered as a result.  What I saw on Saturday and last night was a team lacking mental strength and needing a spark to ignite them, but without any true creative players.  We have seen this squad play very well, so presumably the coaching was responsible for that too.  What’s happened in the last two matches was all too predictable (I was sure we’d lose to Millwall!) but we need to hang on in there until we get some players back.

I’d defy any team to continue to thrive with eight or nine first-teamers out.

16 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

It’s not just one thing but it all starts in the midfield. We can’t seem to achieve a balance of creativity, movement and strength. Unfortunately at present we seem to have none of those, and that has been a repeated problem over the past few years.

And it’s not like we haven’t had decent midfield players in that time (Brownhill now doing well at Burnley, Smith thriving at Swansea) but that neither LJ nor Holden can seem to find a consistent successful mix.

Agree about the key role of midfield.

I wasn't a fan of the Pato-Tyreeq-Andi trio, but on paper it could have achieved the balance you refer to, or at least be an exemple/experiment to follow with other midfielders: creativity (Pato-Walsh-Brunt?), strenght/tactical equilibrium (J.Williams-Bakinson-Nagy?), movement (Weimann-O'Dowda-Massengo).

Unfortunately Brunt is not doing much, Bakinson is not as strong/combative as J.Williams and O'Dowda is spending a lot of energy (that's why I criticized Dean's choice to never involve Massengo).

Obviously it's not only a matter of tactics and injuries: for exemple, we are missing Eliasson's crossing ability but also Hunt's assists; Diédhiou's numbers as a substitute are not - and probably won't be - the same as when he was a regular starter, whereas Martin's work is not as effective as it was some weeks ago.

Archived