IGNORED

Dean Holden interview on rb

SouthStand Sandwich

17 minutes ago, Kibs said:

The trouble is, this is where he we will start to lose the fans.

Just come out and say it as it is......we’re down to the barebones but it still wasn’t anywhere near good enough.

Thats a lot easier to swallow. 

That would have done ?

Wouldnt have made things much better but it wouldn’t have made things worse, and better for his credibility 

1 hour ago, SouthStand Sandwich said:

He thought our play tonight was better than Saturday... 

Clown

We did. Strangely I said to Mrs Oxo we played better than Saturday when we were Utter utter utter utter utter crap. Tonight we were just utter utter utter utter crap. An utterly improved performance!

I honestly wonder why he took the job? This is a championship football club and the standard of football is pretty good, there’s a lot of half tidy managers in the game that won’t get anywhere near managing at this level. He must have a certain amount of confidence in his ability or he is deluded? 

Lose Friday and he’ll start to learn what stress is all about. It’s bleak at Ashton Gate at the moment!

Had a listen and DH sounds same as usual, you could replay that after any loss.

It’s a worry he thought that was acceptable but as we have only barebones of a team I suspect he’s probably trying to protect any confidence they might still hold.

It can’t come as a surprise that DH is out of his depth given the injury crisis it would be a struggle for experienced coaches too. 

The situation bothers me less though, once DH was appointed I dropped any expectation of making top 6, it’s as likely as winning a 6 horse acca, big prize always possible but statistically very unlikely.

We haven’t achieved top 6 in years, they just say its the objective to keep us motivated to buy ST’s & Merch.

My expectation is to comfortably survive but see the next gen of young players coming through.

It may seem unfair, as there is  little doubt that injuries are playing a part in our ineptness?  As it would now appear likely that we   will end up somewhere around 10th -12th in the table come May, with the odd triumph and disaster thrown in along the way, just as most predicted when DH was appointed.   We started the season with a fair bit of fortune and organisation, and have managed to hang onto the coat tails of the top 6 until now, but I can see us having a bad run between now and late January.               Then hopefully with the return of some of our badly needed first teamers we can finish  the season reasonably well?  However, that must not, and cannot detract from our appalling goal scoring issues, we have become a dull and predictable side who are now being found out for what we are, namely, badly set up, with poor tactics and limited coaching.  This will be a season of treading water, and going virtually nowhere.  If we seriously want to progress and reach the promised land.........it will NOT be achieved under DH .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    I have no idea how long Lansdown will resist admitting that the appointment of Holden was a mistake, but inevitably he will, once he gets round to swallowing his humble pie.  I like DH, but i would not say he is   experienced, competent   and smart enough to get us into the playoffs, this or even next season,  and so another average season , with average results, but with below average entertainment continues, and very little changes?

To put a bit of perspective on things, we are still only 2 points of the play offs. The last 2 games have been worryingly abysmal but I still think, considering the injuries we’ve had, Dean has done a good job so far. However, he needs a eradicate performances like last night or the decent works he’s done will quickly disappear and his contract will not be extended. 

10 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

Naive, rabbit in headlights statement from Dean unfortunately.

Either he is saying that to mask the fact he does not know what is wrong and how to fix it, or;

he genuinely believes his own words.

Cannot decide which is worse.

Honeymoon well and truly over boys and girls.

But we could all see this happening when he was appointed, except Mark Ashton that is 

I said a while back - when he was "golden Holden" according to some - we won't know his measure until things start going against him.  

Mid-table by January.  Would anyone bet against that?

The tough breaks are the unfortunate, almost unprecedented, run of injuries on First XI players. But this has only exposed how complacent we were in close season and, I think, how the coaching isn't working here. As with Johnson, players seem to be going backwards: come here looking promising, now look like L1 fodder. 

It's a sad but predictable mess, but as I said elsewhere, there are structural problems with how this club is run. Holden is just a product of that. 

Definite shades of LJ coming  through in his latest interview, but without the pseudo gibberish thank god?  "I never discuss publicly what i say to the players"  ....."As I said to the players in the dressing room, we don't make excuses, we move on"   I appreciate he is under pressure, and i understand it's not easy talking after a defeat. but some of his answers were just lame and predictable? This constant "roll our sleeves up and move on" mantra is getting thin.  Yep, we are moving on, and making exactly the same mistakes again ?   Tonight again showed how ill prepared we were, and what a lack of character exists in the team, apart from, I would say, Kalas.  One piece of good news is that at least Brunt is injured......cruel, I know?

I think it's pretty unanimous that he seems a great guy. My concern though is whether he can be authoritarian with the players where needed. Obviously we don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but he just doesn't seem that type.

One of the pitfalls of appointing a younger manager who previously was an assistant and would've had a different relationship with the players. It's a small thing, but even players still calling him 'Deano' was a concern for me when he was appointed.

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think it's pretty unanimous that he seems a great guy. My concern though is whether he can be authoritarian with the players where needed. Obviously we don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but he just doesn't seem that type.

One of the pitfalls of appointing a younger manager who previously was an assistant and would've had a different relationship with the players. It's a small thing, but even players still calling him 'Deano' was a concern for me when he was appointed.

The Tinnion problem, perhaps. Too familiar and friendly with the team. 

38 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I said a while back - when he was "golden Holden" according to some - we won't know his measure until things start going against him.  

According to one anyway, but repeated multiple times on numerous threads. :rofl2br:

Surprisingly didn't catch on quite as he'd hoped. :whistle2:

4 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

That is so disingenuous. No, it's insulting. 

He should’ve said we moved the ball well in our own third.  It was around the halfway line we ran into trouble.

Its clear he’s gonna defend his players, and I’d rather he did that to the media than throw them under a bus.

13 hours ago, Swede said:

I am afraid the club's hiarchy are reaping what they've sowed.

We lost the same match in the same manner last year. Only now we have a team full of lightweight players short of confidence run by a totally inexperienced out of his depth coach who has a very similar philosophy to the previous incumbent.  

There is no cohesion. You only have to look at the bench to see it filled out with U23's to see how weak we are.

Poor HNM hasn't had a look in yet he's thrown in at the deep end, little wonder he's off the pace and rusty.

Our coaching or lack of it has turned a highly rated player who's played in the Champions League into a shell of the player struggling to cope with a lower end Championship team.

Why move on Morrell and Palmer??? Both would walk into that team.

There is no pattern to our play whatsoever apart from a ponderous sideways meandering before the long hopeful punt.

At least Streaky had some experience, Northern Streaky has none.

I have never felt so deflated.

People will point to injuries but at the very least there should be a desire to match your opponent with desire and commitment and some tactical shape to the team.

Another defeat is on the cards at our lucky club Preston next and so begins the winless run of games he thought he could avoid.

He is already out of his depth

I think DH is actually a decent guy, but as you state, he is clearly, completely out of his depth. Which is why we need a proven manager, rather than a cheap B option. 
We may have to take a few steps backwards in the short term to address the obvious weaknesses in this squad. But Deano and that **** Ashton (who is killing this club) must GO.

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He should’ve said we moved the ball well in our own third.  It was around the halfway line we ran into trouble.

Its clear he’s gonna defend his players, and I’d rather he did that to the media than throw them under a bus.

He doesn't need to be some diktat leader in the house of commons defending the indefensible. He doesn't need to dress things up as something they aren't.

A plain honest appraisal wouldnt have thrown them under a bus, but acknowledged where we are within the context of injuries, perhaps fatigue,and a downturn in form. 

We're not as stupid as some managers clearly think.  This is football, not politics. 

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

He doesn't need to be some diktat leader in the house of commons defending the indefensible. He doesn't need to dress things up as something they aren't.

A plain honest appraisal wouldnt have thrown them under a bus, but acknowledged where we are within the context of injuries, perhaps fatigue,and a downturn in form. 

We're not as stupid as some managers clearly think.  This is football, not politics. 

He did go on to say (underlined below)

No disguising that was a disappointing night for you, what is your reaction?

It was an improved display from Saturday, I thought we moved the ball really well up until that final third at times where we just weren’t able to have enough quality in the right moments to create enough chances.

I thought Millwall came with one idea in mind, to sit back really deep behind the ball and try to nick one on the counter-attack or from a set-piece.

They’ve had some luck with the first goal following the deflection, which makes it even more difficult of course. For the second goal, we got caught trying to play. On Saturday we tried to go long too early and not play our style. It’s been a poor night as you say, we’re up against it at the moment, everybody knows, to lose Fam as well at the end of the game is disappointing. We have to move on quickly, we have a game in three days.

6 hours ago, mossey said:

I wonder if anyone is now paying the £10 to watch on Robins TV,  why would you? They must be losing so much money.

I get a free pass for every game and I don't even bother. It's that bad!

I can usually tell when we're about to go on a run, and thankfully I've not bothered with Rotherham or Millwall! Not even seen the highlights. Not sure if I want to either haha. 

7 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

That is so disingenuous. No, it's insulting. 

It is really. Does he not think the 25000 sitting at home somehow could not see the blazingly obvious. 

I find my self in two minds about the current malaise. The injury/Covid crisis  swirling around us is real. Now we have a suspension. (I feel a bit for FD as he was trying to just make something happen with his swing and a miss)

However that was two games where we were below the very basic standard for U11 reserve team. Couldn’t pass tackle move....shoot don’t make me laugh if we can’t do the former you can forget the latter. 

anyway how are you and the fam fella? Merry Christmas. One day I’ll let you buy me that pint at the KH, when this shit fest is better. 

Archived