IGNORED

Han Noah Massengo

Lenners

It was an interesting one!

Massengo started brightly but his confidence was visibly drained by 20 minutes.

He had a wobbly spell later in the 1st half where he made a succession of errors and understandably he was getting a fair bit of criticism on the match thread at that point.

He was getting a lot more possession than Nagy and Bakinson, and often he would look up, not see a pass in and play a simple ball, normally backwards.

That could have been down to his lack of vision, or alternatively the lack of movement ahead of him, but he certainly was too cautious when it came to more inventive play.

2nd half I thought he came out rejuvenated, but again he was easily sucked back into a sloppy team performance. 

It's hard to know how much to criticise his errors because there was an abundance of errors across the team, including more senior players such as Hunt and Rowe.

It's also hard to judge his creativity in the midfield when his teammates Nagy and Bakinson were equally toothless.

The obvious positive is Massengo got on the ball a lot more than the rest of the team.

You could cut him some slack for being rusty and nervous.

Equally you wouldn't give him more than a 5/10. Our best player would maybe be Wells with 6/10!

2 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

A shadow of the vibrant, skilful, effervescent, Champions league playing wonderkid we signed.

Looks like we have somehow manage to erode all his natural instinct and replace it with fear and nervousness.

Remarkable really.

Easy as well when we play an ultra cautious game, we've probably coached all of the talent out of him...

You would have thought that that the addition of Messrs Simpson and Downing would have begun to have had an impact on the way we play however it has yet to manifest itself. I haven't been to watch the reserves for some time but the last time I did, they played a completely different brand of football to the first team...

The only one of our midfield three to get any credit tonight.  He was let down by the other two.  He’s wasn’t great, but he did ok....first game in months.  He put a decent shift in.  At least he kicked someone, tried to get involved and make himself available.

I wouldn’t be aiming much criticism his way tonight, far easier candidates than Han-Noah.

30 minutes ago, mozo said:

He had a wobbly spell later in the 1st half where he made a succession of errors and understandably he was getting a fair bit of criticism on the match thread at that point.

He was getting a lot more possession than Nagy and Bakinson, and often he would look up, not see a pass in and play a simple ball, normally backwards.

That could have been down to his lack of vision, or alternatively the lack of movement ahead of him, but he certainly was too cautious when it came to more inventive play.

2nd half I thought he came out rejuvenated, but again he was easily sucked back into a sloppy team performance. 

It's hard to know how much to criticise his errors because there was an abundance of errors across the team, including more senior players such as Hunt and Rowe.

It's also hard to judge his creativity in the midfield when his teammates Nagy and Bakinson were equally toothless.

The obvious positive is Massengo got on the ball a lot more than the rest of the team.

Equally you wouldn't give him more than a 5/10. Our best player would maybe be Wells with 6/10!

Very good assessment.

33 minutes ago, mozo said:

This is pretty much spot on. 
He had a really bad spell in the 20 mins or so up to half time, but then came out for 10 mins or so in the 2nd half with a bit more life, but soon reverted to poor again. 

As others have said, he gets a pass tonight, as he’s not played for ages and was thrown into the fire to be fair. 

But whilst his energy and enthusiasm was higher than his mates, his quality was poor, just like his mates. 

Just now, Harry said:

This is pretty much spot on. 
He had a really bad spell in the 20 mins or so up to half time, but then came out for 10 mins or so in the 2nd half with a bit more life, but soon reverted to poor again. 

As others have said, he gets a pass tonight, as he’s not played for ages and was thrown into the fire to be fair. 

But whilst his energy and enthusiasm was higher than his mates, his quality was poor, just like his mates. 

Doesn’t help when the commentator blames him for giving the ball away 3 times when it wasn’t him!  He’s quite easy to make out too. ???

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Doesn’t help when the commentator blames him for giving the ball away 3 times when it wasn’t him!  He’s quite easy to make out too. ???

I tend not to listen to the commentators as they generally know jack all, aside from the ‘notes’ they’ve made pre game from looking at Wikipedia 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The only one of our midfield three to get any credit tonight.  He was let down by the other two.  He’s wasn’t great, but he did ok....first game in months.  He put a decent shift in.  At least he kicked someone, tried to get involved and make himself available.

I wouldn’t be aiming much criticism his way tonight, far easier candidates than Han-Noah.

I nearly agreed with the last sentence, then I stopped. 

He was equally terrible as anyone that started. 

If Towler, Bell, Edwards are worse than him. Or any of them. Then this is going to be a hard season / winter. 

But I do agree with what I think is your thrust. HNM was dogs but no more than the rest of them. 

HNM had way more ball than any other City player, won possession several times and made plenty of accurate short passes. He did get caught in possession in the build up to their 2nd but that came from him showing for the ball after careless play by others. 

People unfairly having a go at him for being too negative, it was not his role to be creative, Nagy was given the acm position and was anonymous. Bakinson was languid as at Rotherham. 

Along with Wells the only City player to be emerge with any credit for me. 

How can you single any one players performance put in such an inept pile of dross. I not one to critise and complain often. But the Birmingham, Rotherham and millwall games we have been total rubbish. Yes we have injured players accepted and playing in strange times. So how can any  player singled out. It's a a team game and the problem as I see it, is we do not look a team who plays together. 

Hnm and wells two best city players on pitch against millwall yes but they where as rubbish as the collective team as well. 

Hoping it gets better soon 

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

2nd goal was schoolboy stuff really. And was sloppy in his passing. Showed some glimpses of what he can do though.

Looked far fitter than Nagy who really looks shattered now. Actually thought Bakinson was our best midfielder last night.

I thought all 3 were terrible. Have some sympathy for nagy as 1) clearly shattered 2) playing in an advanced position when his best role is sitting deeper and making runs forward.

Massengo will never make it here.....by the time he develops, if he develops, he won't be a bcfc player. Surely won't sign a new contract assuming he was offered one.

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This is so flawed. 

"He put a decent shift in", this isn't downs football this is a basic expectation.

He was at fault for the 2nd goal, simple as that.

Just now, Super said:

Part of a dreadful midfield 3.

The thing is, I foolishly said I was excited about that midfield, because...

The three of them are all technically good players. Each slightly different in style.

If Nagy played like he did a few games ago, and Bakinson like in the first few games, and Massengo like early last season...

...but they didn't. 

9 hours ago, mozo said:

‘Often he would look up’ ..... but nearly always facing towards his own goal, 5 yards in front of the defender who had just passed to him. He would then pass the ball back to said defender. Who would pass it along the defensive line. 

The game plan was hopeless. 

What is the point of these passes? 

Its almost as if we’re giving time for the opposition to arrange their defence. 

Beginning to lose the faith. Injuries are awful but that team had first team players in every position and delivered utter tripe. 

55 minutes ago, mozo said:

The thing is, I foolishly said I was excited about that midfield, because...

The three of them are all technically good players. Each slightly different in style.

If Nagy played like he did a few games ago, and Bakinson like in the first few games, and Massengo like early last season...

...but they didn't. 

I think the problem is the lack of options we have at the moment. Injuries are killing us in vital areas. Who knows what team we will see on Friday. I might be tempted to throw in a couple of youngsters.

Archived