IGNORED

The emperor is naked

BigAl&Toby

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

And amazingly greasy. 

Years ago at work a relative of one of our patients brought in a prepared goose because it was our patients favourite Xmas bird. 

It only just fitted in the oven, took hours to cook and the baking tray it was in was full of goose fat.....When we all tucked in to Xmas dinner and goose fat dribbled down our chins..........:facepalm:

That was the las and only time I ever ate goose. I don’t recommend it.

Oh Robbo,

You are doing it wrong.

You need to collect the goose fat to use for your roast potatoes, keeping a little bit back to dribble on your carrots (once they have been left to soak in sugared water) and placed in the warm oven to roast alongside the parsnips, all sprinkled with a light covering of cinnamon.

Finally, the peas, similarly soaked in sugared water should be boiled for just a few minutes with fresh mint and, Voila!  

Bon Appétit and Happy Christmas.

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Oh Robbo,

You are doing it wrong.

You need to collect the goose fat to use for your roast potatoes, keeping a little bit back to dribble on your carrots (once they have been left to soak in sugared water) and placed in the warm oven to roast alongside the parsnips, all sprinkled with a light covering of cinnamon.

Finally, the peas, similarly soaked in sugared water should be boiled for just a few minutes with fresh mint and, Voila!  

Bon Appétit and Happy Christmas.

It was many years ago Phil and it wasn’t me who did the cooking - us blokes weren’t allowed anywhere near the kitchen. The female nurses took charge!

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

It was many years ago Phil and it wasn’t me who did the cooking - us blokes weren’t allowed anywhere near the kitchen. The female nurses took charge!

In these (anti) sexist times, we are obviously not allowed to say so, but it has often intrigued me as to why, as you say, whilst women have always run the kitchen - it was certainly thus when I was a boy growing up - the chefs in most Michelin starred restaurants tend to be male.

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

In these (anti) sexist times, we are obviously not allowed to say so, but it has often intrigued me as to why, as you say, whilst women have always run the kitchen - it was certainly thus when I was a boy growing up - the chefs in most Michelin starred restaurants tend to be male.

Times have changed. Back in the early 80s and before women did most of the cooking. Their attitude was that we blokes knew nothing.

However when my dad retired he began cooking the Sunday roast and he did a wonderful job much better than mum.. I asked him where he learnt how to cook and he said ‘in the army’. Turns out he’d been a cook in the officers mess.

I have been saying this for the last 3-4 years.

It's all about the real estate.

People keep banging on about how much £££ Lansdown has spent.

It's pocket change to him!

It's money out of interest on his wealth.

Pure profit. Fun money.

Except all the Lansdown Lovers forget that we used to own this club.

Now we are paying rent to our 'benefactor' to play in a ground we used to own.

And with every flat built, every office leased , and every wedding booked, the Lansdown bank balance gets bigger.

Wait until AV gets unveiled!

SL doesn't want Prem football - he will have to pay huge amounts to get us 10 points in the Prem, so steady as she goes, build the off-field empire, and then sell off most, keep a token share and enjoy sitting with the new owner whilst THEY fork out for PREMIERSHIP quality players to get us up and stay there.

Lansdown has so much money that's it's impossible to comprehend.

If he wanted to go up - we would already be there.

Very soon, he's going to cash in, enjoy sitting in the stand named after him, and hang on the coat-tails of the new owner.

The new owner of a huge conglomerate of function area's concert venues, shops, offices, and thousands of housing units.

And a little football club.

Meanwhile, he's loving winning stuff in the Rugby Union world, for a pittance, compared to the football costs.

Does anyone really think Lansdown is building a huge arena for the Basketball - or the fact it can be used for functions for the other 320 odd days of the year.

He's a BILLIONAIRE by being financially ruthless - not a rambling old fool throwing ££ at a crappy football club.

The endgame is to sell the empire built on land we used to own, and trouser an absolute fortune.

Fair play - don't begrudge him a penny of it - but just stop with the BS of wanting to be a Premiership side.

He never has, and never will.

Or did you think he was going to hand it all over to Jon?

1 hour ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Pure profit. Fun money.

And with every flat built, every office leased , and every wedding booked, the Lansdown bank balance gets bigger.

SL doesn't want Prem football - he will have to pay huge amounts to get us 10 points in the Prem, so steady as she goes, build the off-field empire, and then sell off most, keep a token share and enjoy sitting with the new owner whilst THEY fork out for PREMIERSHIP quality players to get us up and stay there.

Very soon, he's going to cash in, enjoy sitting in the stand named after him, and hang on the coat-tails of the new owner.

The new owner of a huge conglomerate of function area's concert venues, shops, offices, and thousands of housing units.

Meanwhile, he's loving winning stuff in the Rugby Union world, for a pittance, compared to the football costs.

Does anyone really think Lansdown is building a huge arena for the Basketball - or the fact it can be used for functions for the other 320 odd days of the year.

He's a BILLIONAIRE by being financially ruthless - not a rambling old fool throwing ££ at a crappy football club.

The endgame is to sell the empire built on land we used to own, and trouser an absolute fortune.

Fair play - don't begrudge him a penny of it - but just stop with the BS of wanting to be a Premiership side.

all this investment in real estate has got us.................exactly where we were over 50yrs ago the 2nd div

2 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Pure profit. Fun money.

Christ alive. A kindred spirit. There aren’t many of us.

Some on here smile and type bollocks about turkey, goose or rib of beef whilst ignoring how The Emperor continues to watch his empire grow.

Mr L has never had BCFCs interests at heart. It’s been a Trojan Horse to help him expand his investment portfolio.

And that’s fine by me. Really it is. If that’s what makes him happy then carry on. But don’t disguise it as being done in the interests of the football club I’ve followed through thick and thin for 50 odd years.

Or in the name of making Bristol Proud. It doesn’t wash. Never has and never will. 

I disagree that SL doesn't want Premier League. It's the only way he's ever going to make money from the football side, at present the other sides of it probably aren't even close to covering the football losses.  Especially given the spending on the stadium and training ground. That may change with the Arena and Sporting Quarter but that's not for a few years yet.

Also he doesn't need to spend big if we ever get there - just follow the Burnley / WBA route and accept a yo-yo existentence. Conversely he could spend massively if he wanted as the income at Premier League level would make FFP at a club like City largely irrelevant. 

IMHO he just has massive blind spot in appointing a manager / leadership team capable of getting promotion and just doesn't seem to be able to see the blindingly obvious flaw in appointing inexperienced coaches. 

1 hour ago, fgrsimon said:

I disagree that SL doesn't want Premier League. It's the only way he's ever going to make money from the football side, at present the other sides of it probably aren't even close to covering the football losses.  Especially given the spending on the stadium and training ground. That may change with the Arena and Sporting Quarter but that's not for a few years yet.

Also he doesn't need to spend big if we ever get there - just follow the Burnley / WBA route and accept a yo-yo existentence. Conversely he could spend massively if he wanted as the income at Premier League level would make FFP at a club like City largely irrelevant. 

IMHO he just has massive blind spot in appointing a manager / leadership team capable of getting promotion and just doesn't seem to be able to see the blindingly obvious flaw in appointing inexperienced coaches. 

Sorry mate not picking on you personally...

How in any possible world is turning a dump of a stadium into one that can host 30 odd functions simultaneously, adding boxes, adding concert facilities, and a bloody big tax write off "making a loss"

How much worth to the building in income, did the £30m build raise?

In structural value and event hosting potential - much much more than £30m

Then the extra food + drink kiosks etc etc.

One capital spend - (with tax breaks)  = years and years of massively increased income from conventions, weddings, you name it.

Too many people cannot separate BCFC and Lansdowns other income streams.

I've not even added on the 100's of flats, 5,10,15 yr leases on offices, shops etc.

@BigAl&Toby

5 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Do you not feel that the more exp managers would want a) a spend war chest, b) want to manage their way and not SL`s way and c) not have Ashton anywhere near. Therefore a little or NO exp manager will get the vote every time, so expect no change from the current plan anytime soon.

How many clubs in the prem have un-exp or no exp managers? are there any? most seem to have vast international exp. If we want to step up we have to invest in a decent manager and playing staff, the end.

13 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Certainly not here. I do all the cooking and she makes the tea.

12 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Pure profit. Fun money.

Shameful post.  Of course Steve Lansdown wants us to succeed, and he has done more for this club than anyone since Harry Dolman (and possibly more than anyone).  We lose a couple of matches and people post disgraceful slurs against the man primarily responsible for establishing us in the fifth best league in the world.  Where do you think we would be without Steve Lansdown?  Are you old enough to remember the period twenty years before he became the owner?  Absolutely shameful.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Shameful post.  Of course Steve Lansdown wants us to succeed, and he has done more for this club than anyone since Harry Dolman (and possibly more than anyone).  We lose a couple of matches and people post disgraceful slurs against the man primarily responsible for establishing us in the fifth best league in the world.  Where do you think we would be without Steve Lansdown?  Are you old enough to remember the period twenty years before he became the owner?  Absolutely shameful.

Yes. I well remember that. Where was he then? When football and it’s spin offs wasn’t the fashionable cash cow it is today?

He was in his bedroom planning his investment strategies that’s where he was. Building plans to make him the man he is today.

I don’t know if you can look at back at what I’ve posted previously about the man but my view has been consistent and constant for many years.

Its absolutely nothing to do with losing “a couple of matches”. It’s been the same for years.

Years of promises that have fallen flat. Years poor decisions after poor decisions. Years of hearing about making Bristol Proud - note the vital missing word - City. Years of hearing about exciting developments in BS3 and Failand.

And yes. In the meantime poor performances on the pitch. On the whole boring, unexciting and unattractive football. Players who aren’t good or young or fit enough recruited by a besuited man in the image of our Messiah.

Meanwhile WBA - remember the days we played and competed with them - have sacked Bilic and appointed Big Sam.

So neither might have been the answer to our prayers but compare that to sacking LJ and appointing his second in command Dean Holden.

**** me. Like chalk and cheese......

And as for Leeds.... 

Established in the 5th best league in the works. Established is questionable. But if that’s the extent of your ambition then that’s good. 

We’ll agree to disagree. 

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Sorry, fella, but it's not shameful at all, IMO. It's an opinion to which he's entitled to, just as you're entitled to disagree with it. I think @The Constant Rabbit's comments are on the money. BCFC has never been a priority for him, hence why we will never get in the PL with him at the helm. Yes, he's been a great benefactor to the club and I'm grateful for that, but it's not pure philanthropy. It's been done to further expand his wealth. That's his priority. 

Who knows where we'd be without SL, but I'm old enough to recall plans from boards preceeding SL's involvement to redevelop the Gate or a move to Severnside. I think we even had planning permission to redo the Williams stand in the late '90s. Why do you assume that nobody could've done a better job? Somebody with far less resources might have been able to achieve far more on the pitch and develop the facilities around that.

The football facts are we've had two promotions from L1 and two LDV trophies in the 18 years he's owned the club, and he's got a history of choosing bad managers. Any patron of the club has the right to scrutinise that, especially when SL talks bollocks about PL aspirations.  

59 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Dean Holden is doing his best. Not my choice but nevertheless has my backing.

The injury situation is ridiculous and needs thorough scrutiny.

Boro and Forest will finish above us. 

Never mind Boro, Forest I look at the teams below us and wonder just how many we will be putting to the sword anyday soon; even Derby could well finish above us. Have a look .....just how many teams below us atm will still be below us in April? We had better wake the hell up or we will be right up sh1te creek pretty soon.

1 minute ago, glos old boy said:

Never mind Boro, Forest I look at the teams below us and wonder just how many we will be putting to the sword anyday soon; even Derby could well finish above us. Have a look .....just how many teams below us atm will still be below us in April? We had better wake the hell up or we will be right up sh1te creek pretty soon.

We are STILL desperate for a exp midfield general to take control of it and our shambles of a squad,

On 16/12/2020 at 08:49, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

BREAD S-A-U-C-E

why can't we ever say S-A-U-C-E  - is OTIB the Source of this silly anomaly? 

All the fault of the person who set up the OTIB spell checker. He made a right balls up of s-a-u-c-e and s-o-u-r-c-e. 

Mind you, shouldn’t be too harsh on the guy. I heard he died last week, may he roast in piss. 

22 hours ago, glos old boy said:

I don’t see it like that. We will continue to grind out results mixed with a few dreadful performances here and there because quite simply that is the squad that we have right now. The evidence of the last 2-3 years tells us that we won’t totally capitulate and I see nothing to suggest we will. It just won’t be exciting watching another season of early optimism fall into mid table obscurity. If we played a bit like,  say QPR, in doing that it wouldn’t seem so bad somehow!!

Well it’s a few hours on from another inept performance.

I settled down in front of my Surface Pro last night with my cans of Lidl looky likey Stella and reheated chicken pasta. I paid my tenner and placed my bets on a City win and anytime goal scorer. 

And wasted another 2 hours of my life.

I remember going to Deepdale many years ago. Years ago. Can’t remember the exact year but it was BL. The sun was shining. We stood in the corner by the home fans. We scored. 

Fast forward 20 or so odd years. And now this. Progress? Depends on how you measure it. On what you want.

Football? There have been a few highlights. A few. Not many. Whilst others have gone from strength to strength we’ve not.

We’ve had a few dalliances and seen some good players come and some good players go. We’ve cashed in our chips and “reinvested”.

But the football we long for is still inconsistent. It’s poor. It’s not entertaining. It’s not going to change.

But other areas of progress? Well yes. There have been some. For some. People who are out of their depth and who aren’t good enough get rewarded handsomely for their contributions.

Would Mr L put up with this sort of shit if it was going on in the shiny office on the corner of Canons Marsh? If week in, week out his fund managers were making losses? 

Would he bollocks. He’d have them out as quick as we’d be able to say Dow ******* Jones.

Would those who have their own investments entrusted to Mr L put up with losses and their hard earned cash being frittered away? Would they accept the view that he’s a good egg. Or put up with comments from buffoons who want to know what he’s having for his Christmas lunch? 

I doubt it. They’d be up in arms.

And yet over in BS3 things are different. We’re grateful that Mr L has chosen us to invest his hard earned cash into - or to generate a tax deductible loss.

Chosen us to develop assets that our club once owned to further feather his own Guernsey nest. The meek shall inherit the earth...... not in BS3.

Chosen us to establish an investment basket of income streams. Once upon a time all we had was football. And bowls under a stand. Now? Well **** me we’ve now got so much more. Football. Rugby. Basketball. Expos. Pizzas. A “proper” club store. Lots and lots of lovely things for us to spend our money on......

Chosen us to weave a complex and non-transparent business structure so as to protect the investment and make it impossible for actions or inactions to be held up to real scrutiny by those who dare to ask.

Chosen us to ride the Trojan Horse into Ashton Vale and obtain an even greater amount of land that with the real intention of residential housing will further line the Lansdown coffers.

All in the name of making us proud.

Be careful what you wish for? I know. Things could be worse. Much worse.

The memories me and the boy have will always be there. The framed home and away Umbro shirts from the First Division days. The 76 Promotion Ale. The “who killed cock robin” poster. The wooden seats and a turnstile from the Williams Stand.

Mr L won’t be getting his hands on any of that. Ever. Some things simply can’t be bought. However much money you have. 

The emperor is naked. And sadly he’s parading his bollocks in BS3.......

Archived