IGNORED

BIG summer ahead- Rebuild opportunities, perhaps a necessity.

Mr Popodopolous

3 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Where are we going to finish this season?

Continue last 6 games form: 1 point a game = finishing in 57 points, which last season would have been around 15th.

Continue last 10 games form: 1.6 points a game = finishing on 72/73 points, which last season would have been 6th.

So unless we really capitulate, relegation is unlikely.

You've got to think we'll run out of steam as the season concludes...so looking at those numbers there, 10-12th?

Why ask this? Well is that acceptable?@Fordy62

For me, it's absolutely not acceptable. I don't think we should be lowering our expectations because we didn't agree with the appointment or because we considered it risky.

Lee Johnson was sacked because he failed to take the team into the top six and we wanted someone to take us that extra step.

Never mind Dean Holden, I just don't see how Mark Ashton survives a scenario where that doesn't happen. Fans need to stop making this all about the head coach.

58 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

26??

Doubt the 3rd bottom side will hit 50 this year. I know there are a number of big sides down there and teams can rally in general but that would be a record or close to, 56 pts to stay up?

Agree, last two performances especially very poor. However in recent weeks it's been more a case of pick the good- Blackburn home, Watford home  2nd half and QPR away 2nd half? About it IMO.

Should already be planning now I hope, as a club. Who takes charge of the team should be an open topic, Holden after all is only on a 12 month rolling deal.

I would say 26 (56 in total) points to be certain of survival, yes. Right now, I can't see where the next one is going to come from. 

I think you're there or there abouts with the good performances, and we can count this season's on one hand. Despite those encouraging displays, and we were bloody lucky not to be 3 or 4 down after that first-half at QPR, when can we say we've created enough chances to thrash the opposition? Not once, IMO.

You're right that the board should be planning now, but the way they handed it earlier this year indicates they have no contingency plans in place. Maybe their succession plan was for Holden to take over from LJ, but it's clearly flawed. That policy only usually works with players who've played, and won trophies, at the highest level. 

5 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Never mind Dean Holden, I just don't see how Mark Ashton survives a scenario where that doesn't happen. Fans need to stop making this all about the head coach.

I agree Holden's not culpable, but let's be clear - Ashton, bullshitting charlatan that he is, did not appoint Holden. He's just the highly-paid puppet dancing to SL's tune. Think back to Tinnion, Millen, LJ; his delusional fantasy for us to be like FCB. Holden's appointment has SL's fingerprints all over it.

27 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

The combination of Brexit and COVID is gonna make the Jan and summer windows an absolute shit show. 

I’d say we should pivot to the Brentford model of buying cheap on the continent but that avenue is totally closed now. 

So, best bet is give our own kids a chance and maybe get lucky with some loans. 

Brentford possibly already have, Ivan Toney was neither cheap nor from abroad.

Mind you it helps when you get £28m for Ollie Watkins & also a pre agreed sum for Benrahma.

39 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

The combination of Brexit and COVID is gonna make the Jan and summer windows an absolute shit show. 

I’d say we should pivot to the Brentford model of buying cheap on the continent but that avenue is totally closed now. 

I think it will be loans in January, unless we sell.  Unfortunately I can’t think of too many assets that would generate funds to buy in any quality.

Unless of course it becomes a case of clubs selling cheap to offload wages.

1 hour ago, tin said:

I would say 26 (56 in total) points to be certain of survival, yes. Right now, I can't see where the next one is going to come from. 

I think you're there or there abouts with the good performances, and we can count this season's on one hand. Despite those encouraging displays, and we were bloody lucky not to be 3 or 4 down after that first-half at QPR, when can we say we've created enough chances to thrash the opposition? Not once, IMO.

You're right that the board should be planning now, but the way they handed it earlier this year indicates they have no contingency plans in place. Maybe their succession plan was for Holden to take over from LJ, but it's clearly flawed. That policy only usually works with players who've played, and won trophies, at the highest level. 

Dunno if performance level was as bad as all that. Talking up to say Huddersfield away.

Coventry at home. We started and finished strong but a good period we were on the back foot. Partial Credit?

Stoke away. Very good, though lack of possession 2nd half not so much. Credit.

Sheffield Wednesday at home. We were dominant, in particular after halftime. Credit. 

Nottingham Forest away. Started strong then had to dig in. Partial Credit? 

Barnsley away. We were one bad late challenge away from a strong comeback win. Credit for the comeback but only partial credit as we didn't score a third in period we dominated. Partial Credit?

Middlesbrough at home. First pisspoor game. Crap.

Swansea at home. Kept going, got the late draw but didn't create a great number of chances. Outpossessed Swansea though, still in credit! Partial Credit?

Bournemouth away. They dominated us after halftime, but we were better before halftime. Had we scored first, who knows. Partial Credit?

Norwich home. This game gets a lot of flak, but we had quite a lot of chances, woodwork, penalty miss- Krul made some good saves. We conceded first and third at terrible times too. Partial Credit?

Huddersfield away. Outshot them, rallied from behind, Semenyo a real bright spark. DaSilva goal and assist. Partial Credit?

After this first 10 though, there's been precious little IMO.

Holden, I'm unsure on. Started brilliantly, but now we (and he) are in a tough phase- when he has more options to choose from it'll be fairer to judge.

As for survival, it'll be 46 I think. Or closer to that. 56 would be one of the highest totals needed for survival and I don't see those lower midtable downward teams all rallying like that.

I'll say it now, 6 wins at most will  be all that is required.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think it will be loans in January, unless we sell.  Unfortunately I can’t think of too many assets that would generate funds to buy in any quality.

Unless of course it becomes a case of clubs selling cheap to offload wages.

God knows what’ll happen with Fam and Walsh. 

At this rate our January signings will probably just be loan recalls. Holden name dropped Watkins. . . Doomed. 

1 hour ago, Wade Wilson said:

When do the rules kick in? 
Just wonder if there will be a window as I see there are rumours of an extension for further talks, re-Brexit

55 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

God knows what’ll happen with Fam and Walsh. 

At this rate our January signings will probably just be loan recalls. Holden name dropped Watkins. . . Doomed. 

I don't understand what is going on with Fam & Walsh, offers on the table, talks going well and could sign any minute. The same "any minute" as the injuries use.

Isn't Watkins injured, actually he'll fit right in, come back almost ready to start and be sidelined for another 3 months.

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

When do the rules kick in? 
Just wonder if there will be a window as I see there are rumours of an extension for further talks, re-Brexit

I don't understand what is going on with Fam & Walsh, offers on the table, talks going well and could sign any minute. The same "any minute" as the injuries use.

Isn't Watkins injured, actually he'll fit right in, come back almost ready to start and be sidelined for another 3 months.

As it stands the Brexit rules kick in on Jan 1st. Straight to work permits for everyone but Brits. 

Watkins will also be back after the international window. . . in March. 

2 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

As it stands the Brexit rules kick in on Jan 1st. Straight to work permits for everyone but Brits. 

Watkins will also be back after the international window. . . in March. 

No appeals process in this window either.  Ireland signings are ok under CTA.

On 16/12/2020 at 10:50, JoeAman08 said:

Does that mean we can spend 15m on a player if he is on with 25-30k a week wages? For example anyway. Or is this on top of the 39m loss over 3 seasons?

What has been unclear is if a wage cap would replace FFP, or work in tandem with it. Probably lot of split opinion between clubs etc.

The latter sounds a bit of a nightmare to govern.

If it's the former, don't see that there would be a cap on fees but £25-30k on one player would probably need a lot of academy players to compensate!

Archived