IGNORED

I expect a few ‘ rough house ‘ signings in January.

Major Isewater

Following our capitulation during the last two matches it wouldn’t surprise me to see Holden demanding two or three big tough players to strengthen the squad. 

Oh for a Robbie Carnage, Gerry Gow or Norman Hunter.

Supporters at clubs like Rotherham know that they can’t buy or keep their best players and have adopted a pragmatic, if not attractive , style of football.

At City, the supporters demand sexy attacking football but we don’t have the means to buy or keep our best players so should we go down the hard to beat, nick a goal route just to get nearer promotion ? 

7 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Based off of what may I ask? 

Hear this comment a lot about Wells as well but he seems delighted when we win & pissed off when we lose. So I don't see it that way with him.

I'm quite against January signings as they're very rarely successful, particularly when they come in to score goals. We have quite a few players which are due* back in the New Year and would like to see them integrated in the squad. Potentially panic buying older players on high wages would be another deviation away from our strategy of buying young and hungry players. 

*I didn't say which year. 

5 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Based off of what may I ask? 

Hear this comment a lot about Wells as well but he seems delighted when we win & pissed off when we lose. So I don't see it that way with him.

based on this 'I needed to get out of Chelsea' - Swansea City's Kasey Palmer on why he had to leave Blues and his Bristol City transfer wish - Wales Online

Sadly, the players can do it.

They just don't seem to WANT to do it.

That's the worrying thing.

When players are pulling out of 50 / 50 challenges - and we have seen more than a few in the last month - and they were tacking before - the question is "why are they not wanting to give 100%"

Something seriously wrong in the dressing room? - too many 'niggly' injuries that are taking 3 or 4 times the usual healing time.

Makes you wonder if some players are not happy with the way the club is being run, and want out.

Just a thought, not a statement.

3 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Sadly, the players can do it.

They just don't seem to WANT to do it.

That's the worrying thing.

When players are pulling out of 50 / 50 challenges - and we have seen more than a few in the last month - and they were tacking before - the question is "why are they not wanting to give 100%"

Something seriously wrong in the dressing room? - too many 'niggly' injuries that are taking 3 or 4 times the usual healing time.

Makes you wonder if some players are not happy with the way the club is being run, and want out.

Just a thought, not a statement.

I think the reason that players often pull out of 50/50 challenges these days is that under the way a tackle is scene by the referees in the modern game you are at a greater risk of a yellow or red card 

10 hours ago, Coppello said:

I'm quite against January signings as they're very rarely successful, particularly when they come in to score goals. We have quite a few players which are due* back in the New Year and would like to see them integrated in the squad. Potentially panic buying older players on high wages would be another deviation away from our strategy of buying young and hungry players. 

I’d say, considering 6 of our last 7 permanent signings are A.Williams 36, Rodri 30, Wells 30, Martin 32, Brunt 36 and Mariappa 34, that strategy went out the window a long time ago!! 

10 hours ago, Coppello said:

The main reason that our signing of goalscorers during the January window in the past has proved unsuccessful. is because.....................we are signing the wrong players!! 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I’d say, considering 6 of our last 7 permanent signings are A.Williams 36, Rodri 30, Wells 30, Martin 32, Brunt 36 and Mariappa 34, that strategy went out the window a long time ago!! 

When I wrote that I didn't realise it was that bad. It's quite horrific seeing the players listed out and it does scream panic buying. We're obviously still picking up points and we did finish in the top half last season but it does feel a little bit like we're seeing a repeat of the late Gary Johnson to Derek McInnes era in terms of transfers. 

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

The main reason that our signing of goalscorers during the January window in the past has proved unsuccessful. is because.....................we are signing the wrong players!! 

I do agree but statistically January transfers across football are very unsuccessful. I'm not sure if you can access it but this article in The Athletic sums it up quite nicely. https://theathletic.co.uk/1518750/2020/01/10/january-window-transfer-money/

4 hours ago, Coppello said:

I do agree but statistically January transfers across football are very unsuccessful. I'm not sure if you can access it but this article in The Athletic sums it up quite nicely. https://theathletic.co.uk/1518750/2020/01/10/january-window-transfer-money/

They may not have the desired effect in the immediate aftermath but perhaps they settle in and are up and firing ready for the new season.

14 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Not seen that before. Guess it’ll be weighed up with what’s in the players best interests & club needs. If KP desires game time & Holden promises him some, I hope he’d be happy to come back.

Archived