IGNORED

Preston North End (a) – Fri 18th Dec 19:45 – What Can We Expect?

Aipearcey

7 hours ago, glos old boy said:

this again........we should literally have a replacement team, thats why we have a squad of players. Do we not give players a medical before we sign them?

What are we doing wrong in training/ the warm up that causes so many "injuries" that other clubs are doing right or are we just signing a load of cast off old crocks?

Has to be something wrong at our end given this is the 4th season in succession.

Could be training methods, could be warmups/warmdowns, as you say signing some with an injury history.

Mix of many things, exacerbated by this unique scenario- could even be our relatively low possession game over the last few years.

Less possession means less opportunity to 'rest in possession', more mental strain in defence and midfield, physical strain if we press out of it, perhaps a mix of the two. I know we had quite a lot last night to little effect, but over the last few years we haven't really been a possession first side.

What we have watched this year, with odd exceptions, has been poor. The last 2 games , horrible. It's not losing that creates the shitstorm, it's the performance, or lack of, but yeah, I agree. No one thought we would win the League unbeaten, when we had 4 wins on the spin and the same with defeats, as long as you show something, and we didn't.
All I hoping is that we can stay in touches, when/if we get players back we can make a real push. There is no guarantee the players coming back will make the difference we want or hope for, but hopefully with Williams, Walsh , Paterson & Mawson we will be braver in possession.

19 minutes ago, Dave L said:

Bentley

Mawson Kalas Baker

Sessegnon Williams Walsh Dasilva

Paterson

Diedhou  Weimann

Some team that. Except only Bentley and possibly Kalas will be available.  Look at the quality of players we are missing this season. With that in mind, it's a miracle that we are 8th. Yes, the last two performances have been unacceptably poor, but they need to be seen in context. Two consecutive wins won't make us promotion contenders, just as two consecutive defeats doesn't mean we're doomed. Happy Christmas.

You say 'some team' like we know how Sessegnon, Williams & Walsh are all going to perform in a City shirt. 

Granted we're missing a lot of players, but those 3 could be awful for us yet!

Fam has been available and has just got himself banned, so yeah can be used as part of an excuse after the next game, but not before it. 

Bentley 

Hunt Vyner Marriapah Rowe

Nagy Moore 

O Dowda              Semenyo

Martin

Wells

Have often wondered if Moore would be a better as a defensive midfielder? Can't be worse than Rovrum or Millwall can it? ? 

This is why I am no football manager! 

14 hours ago, glos old boy said:

so we must be doing something wrong then as many other clubs dont have many injuries yet play the same amount of games, and as said elsewhere thats why clubs have squads of players not just a first team

Agree on your first bit, we're likely doing something wrong.

Team vs squad point, most squads and especially at this level would be stretched with her situation.

Something slightly different, why not.

Have to hope certain players are fit.

Bentley

Vyner Moore Kalas

Hunt Nagy Bakinson Rowe

Semenyo            O'Dowda

Wells

Could easily have Mariappa too into that back 3.

My thinking here is that both Semenyo and O'Dowda can go wide and central. If in some phases, O'Dowda goes and joins Bakinson and Nagy in the middle, then Semenyo can pair with Wells.

I think Martin is flagging somewhat, Mariappa for one of Vyner or Moore maybe, but the good thing about Semenyo and O'Dowda is they would be more comfortable than say Wells would in helping to guard against 2 v 1.

I'm also thinking Vyner, Moore, Kalas are of a better age profile than eg Mariappa when it comes to squeezing the space a bit higher but Wells can be nice and central in this and Semenyo perhaps show the spark. Martin in his current form just won't show this spark.

To be absolutely clear, Semenyo and O'Dowda would be wide forwards NOT wingers. Not quite the same of course.

14 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

What has money got to do with it?  Such an old fashioned and incorrect attitude if you don’t mind me saying.  Although results aren’t great, these are professional sportsmen, and sports science tells you that playing 3 games a week, on top of training etc means fatigue and potentially more injuries.  Saying ‘just get on with it’ shows a complete lack of understanding, and no amount of payment will change the fact

Absolutely. You can’t pay a body not to be tired. 
People who write: ‘they get £15k per week, they should be able to play 4 games in 9 days’ totally miss the point. You can play 4 games, but you are very unlikely to  be consistently effective.

• Admin
13 hours ago, firstdivision said:

Absolutely. You can’t pay a body not to be tired. 
People who write: ‘they get £15k per week, they should be able to play 4 games in 9 days’ totally miss the point. You can play 4 games, but you are very unlikely to  be consistently effective.

With all the medical science used nowadays, I would imagine there is no physical issue with a player playing that many games.

What I think the issue is more to do with mental fatigue, anyone working consistent long hours will vouch for this 

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

With all the medical science used nowadays, I would imagine there is no physical issue with a player playing that many games.

What I think the issue is more to do with mental fatigue, anyone working consistent long hours will vouch for this 

Agree.  I’ve posted before, but one bad winter we had lots of postponements and a cup run, and we ended up playing sat, tues, thurs, sat, sun, tues, thurs, sat (no sun), tues.

Physically we were ok, a bit knackered, bu mentally you just end up going through the motions, the sharpness of thought goes.

36 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

This could be an embarrassing hammering tomorrow. I feel if Dean can't pick his boys up after the last two atrocious games then we are looking at a heavier scoreline. 

Preston are 5/4 for the win right now. That looks great value to me. 

3 hours ago, phantom said:

No. 'Medical science' would dictate that a player does not play games that often. You can bring in all the technology and science you like, the body still has limits and recovery times can only get so short. 

My cousin is a Preston fan and told me that they were down to just 13 fit players two weeks ago. Bauer is out for the season and Pearson won't return until the new year. We agreed that both sides are playing crap and the win could go either way.

If there is a plus side, Preston's home form is worse than ours, with just 2 wins from 9.

Hope springs eternal.

24 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

My cousin is a Preston fan and told me that they were down to just 13 fit players two weeks ago. Bauer is out for the season and Pearson won't return until the new year. We agreed that both sides are playing crap and the win could go either way.

If there is a plus side, Preston's home form is worse than ours, with just 2 wins from 9.

Hope springs eternal.

There was me thinking we were the Championship side suffering the worst with injuries?!  ?

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

Hope springs eternal.

I’d suggest he was exaggerating.

In the past 8 matches, they’ve named 9 subs every game, and at worst they named 4 kids twice, so still 16 fit players minimum.  Most games they’ve only named 1 or 2 of the kids:

Baxter (20)

Coulson (17)

O’Reilly (19)

Holland-Wilkinson (18)

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

Hope springs eternal.

From memory PNE are a bogey team for us. I really can’t remember when we last beat them home or away. Consequently I’m not optimistic about Friday evenings game.

You have a good City memory CA - what’s our record against PNE over the last decade?.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

From memory PNE are a bogey team for us. I really can’t remember when we last beat them home or away. Consequently I’m not optimistic about Friday evenings game.

You have a good City memory CA - what’s our record against PNE over the last decade?.

Feb 2011 was the last time we beat them, 14 winless games since....it’s all in my preview coming up!

So almost 10 years!!!

3 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

This could be an embarrassing hammering tomorrow. I feel if Dean can't pick his boys up after the last two atrocious games then we are looking at a heavier scoreline. 

Their fans appear undecided on the outcome; prediction-league-pne-v-bristol-city-18-

https://www.pne-online.net/forum/index.php?threads/prediction-league-pne-v-bristol-city-18-12-2020-championship.3432008/

Archived