IGNORED

Preston North End (a) – Fri 18th Dec 19:45 – What Can We Expect?

Aipearcey

1 minute ago, lenred said:

It was better second half but it wasn’t difficult - that first half was diabolical. 

I would agree O’Dowda tried to drive us forward, but he should be taking a lead in this, he is one of the senior players now and a fully experienced International. Semenyo too but he was too greedy. No doubt he is under pressure to add goals to his game but needs to work for the team too.

I don’t know what is going on with Martin, since injury he has been poor and as I said regressed. Wells looks like he can’t be arsed. 

1 minute ago, RobArnold10 said:

It was better but I never felt like we’d score. So I would tend to agree with you. My only positive today was it was better than Tuesday, but that’s like saying “hey I only broke my finger this time and not my arm when I fell over drunk as hell from commiserating this awful result”

Thing is will that better but still poor 2nd half buy Holden on by the skin of his teath more time

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

I would agree O’Dowda tried to drive us forward, but he should be taking a lead in this, he is one of the senior players now and a fully experienced International. Semenyo too but he was too greedy. No doubt he is under pressure to add goals to his game but needs to work for the team too.

I don’t know what is going on with Martin, since injury he has been poor and as I said regressed. Wells looks like he can’t be arsed. 

If COD is supposed to be one of our senior players we really are in a lot of trouble!  (But I take the point - he just doesn’t strike me as a leader in any way shape or form) 

39 minutes ago, redrob said:

Not sure you can say based on the 2nd half the players are not playing for him. They just look bereft of ideas and missing quality in key areas. Hunt's crossing has largely been not better than long ball humps from deep (I say that as Hunt fires a good ball into the near post). Rowe is not good enough attacking wise to play LWB and leaves us unbalanced. Nobody in MF with any threat (though O'Dowda has looked more promosing picking the ball up and looking to run at players). 

With the 8 missing players we walk this game I think.

And Preston would probably have walked it if they hadn't been missing key players.

1 minute ago, lenred said:

If COD is supposed to be one of our senior players we really are in a lot of trouble!  

Exactly! But as I said he’s an International, and at 25 years old with what 5 or so years Championship experience? That’s pretty senior to me. He’s not ‘young Callum’ anymore.

14 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Given our appalling home record I was shocked at how you didn't really come at us at all in the first half, 0 shots. Even Wycombe came to Deepdale with us low on confidence and showed real intent.

Second half your changes really made a difference and it was a similar number of chances really, ours on the break.

Could tell we were low on confidence after 2 bad results but a win is a win.

Thought you were there for the taking in the first half but we were to reticent to take advantage of your errors.

I think the ref ruined any chance we had of edging it. We would of needed it, that's actually the best we've played for a few!

Well. That’s the end of the run of playing the tough sides which I was using as a gauge to judge the new regime on.

As per LJ sides, we’ve been found weak and lacking, mentally and physically.

No change. No ‘breath of fresh air’. Normal service continues.

Winners, leaders, physicality and mental strength. ... required for the umpteenth season in a row. 

Warnock in please and sort this soft Club full of decent humans out. 

Steve said he want to stop Bristol being seen as a laughing stock/sideshow.

Time to step up and appoint someone who is ruthless and nasty, however, uncomfortable that may be for the Owner in the short term. 

I don’t come on here and wait for response, I don’t comment when we win ( players get paid for that ) but when we are as poor as we’ve been I will come on and say , with the hope players may read -you were shit and in last 4 games felt as professional players are a disgrace to the fans who pay your wages , if the guy at top is clueless you as professionals have a duty to perform, this you haven’t done for a month , I wouldn’t pay you , people ie fans loosing jobs , families can’t buy Christmas presents but you bunch of wasters are safe in your jobs , please read this your just lucky we’re not in the grounds 

12 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Given our appalling home record I was shocked at how you didn't really come at us at all in the first half, 0 shots. Even Wycombe came to Deepdale with us low on confidence and showed real intent.

Second half your changes really made a difference and it was a similar number of chances really, ours on the break.

Could tell we were low on confidence after 2 bad results but a win is a win.

Thought you were there for the taking in the first half but we were to reticent to take advantage of your errors.

Th injuries ended up with us playing safe in the first half of games, then being a little more front foot 2nd half. The problem is, it worked for a couple of games and so we stuck with it. We've not created much in the last 4/5 games. The change to 4-3-3 is fine, we do create a little more. But Wells is anonymous wide, our best finisher is stuck putting in crosses. We made Rotherham & Brum look like title chasers.

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

Holden has just said it was an even first half. Wtf?!!!!

I don't listen to them, at least not until later on. He's never going to say , we were shit, I should have made more subs, Martin was anonymous, I need to play Wells centrally is he?

33 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

His first touch and ability to take it away from players is really very good. He’s fast and defenders aren’t sure how to handle him. But his shooting is absolutely dire. Rush of blood every time. If he can get that under control then he could be immense. It doesn’t seem to be getting any better though. 

Yep. He needs to stop shooting and look to play someone in from many of those positions. But that seem beyond his football intelligence level. Maybe it will come with time.

15 minutes ago, lenred said:

Holden has just said it was an even first half. Wtf?!!!!

That interviewer needs to ask, How can you say even 1st half? No shots at all they could of scored more than the one, no creativity, no passion. What are you seeing that the rest of us can't? 

8 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I don't listen to them, at least not until later on. He's never going to say , we were shit, I should have made more subs, Martin was anonymous, I need to play Wells centrally is he?

Not saying he should?  But to say we were as good as them in the first half is wrong. Unless he’s seeing something very very different? 

6 minutes ago, lenred said:

Not saying he should?  But to say we were as good as them in the first half is wrong. Unless he’s seeing something very very different? 

Judging by his Subs, he sees the game very differently from me !

It's just , that time after the game is time for manager speak. He (hopefully) won't throw anyone under the bus, but equally is unlikely to say anything too detrimental . He has to try and keep the spirits up I guess. That's why I don't watch/listen to them.

Just now, 1960maaan said:

Judging by his Subs, he sees the game very differently from me !

It's just , that time after the game is time for manager speak. He (hopefully) won't throw anyone under the bus, but equally is unlikely to say anything too detrimental . He has to try and keep the spirits up I guess. That's why I don't watch/listen to them.

Maybe I’m hanging on that one comment too much but to me it’s just delusional which in turn is worrying. One of the benefits Holden has brought is his straight talking, but with many more comments like that it’ll be a benefit lost. More worried about the actual football at the moment though tbh, regardless of what he says. 

6 minutes ago, lenred said:

Maybe I’m hanging on that one comment too much but to me it’s just delusional which in turn is worrying. One of the benefits Holden has brought is his straight talking, but with many more comments like that it’ll be a benefit lost. More worried about the actual football at the moment though tbh, regardless of what he says. 

I've liked how he's come across up to now, but it must be difficult after a poor run, to then have a Mic shoved under your nose and have to comment without giving up some of your players. I agree , first half wasn't even, but I just think it's a Manager thing and he's just being political .

It's a measure of my faith in this side and Holden that I didn't follow the game tonight or even bother checking the score, until a Leicester City friend who had been watching it texted to say we were shit in the first half, but how did we avoid scoring in the second.

Holden + the long pandemic lay-off has really begun to erode my interest in this season.  I might apply to watch live one of the matches that go on sale, but I'm not that bothered.

I fancy fast-forwarding to August 21, start again without Holden and with the pubs properly open, and I might be able to sum up a bit of passion for live football again. 

Archived