IGNORED

The 80s music. The good, the bad, the ridiculous, and the the f ing sublime

AppyDAZE

I always thought the very best music of the 80s came in the first and last couple of years of the decade. The post-punk / new wave / ska phase, then the Madchester / rave / acid house scene.

To be fair, in between there were lots of good artists, records and gigs, but also a hell of a lot of really horrible synthetic pop music. See this is what I mean...

...and then...

3 hours ago, City Rocker said:

I always thought the very best music of the 80s came in the first and last couple of years of the decade. The post-punk / new wave / ska phase, then the Madchester / rave / acid house scene.

To be fair, in between there were lots of good artists, records and gigs, but also a hell of a lot of really horrible synthetic pop music. See this is what I mean...

...and then...

I think it’s a fair shout. Mid to late 80s got dominated by Waterman’s trashy pop 

Spent the 80's living in Australia so the scene was a tad different. That said from the 70's (when it was shite in Oz) to the 80' was a huge jump. However, seeing AC/DC perform in the Largs pub circa 75 (I think) was a highlight. Same pub saw me out on the batter with the Farriss Brothers who not much later changed their name to INXS.

All within the space of a year or two:

The Waterboys - This is the sea

Deacon Blue - Raintown

The Pogues - If I should fall from grace with god

Julian Cope - St Julian

U2 - The Joshua Tree

Ah, 1985/7, that was the time.  It started going downhill after that, and the late 80s/early 90s were rubbish by comparison.

Bs2 red, i recall reading a article in the nme, that one of the band lived in one of nicohlas van, hoogerstraats flats.

The article said the song was based on him, i dont know if thats correct?

Weird you mentioned, the joshua tree dolman. bought my brother that for xmas, i put the cd somewhere drunk last night.

Been up all night and day, searching for it.

I still havent found what im looking for...

25 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Bs2 red, i recall reading a article in the nme, that one of the band lived in one of nicohlas van, hoogerstraats flats.

The article said the song was based on him, i dont know if thats correct?

I've no idea, never really looked into the meanings behind the song.

I just found this article though where the band talk about it. Interestingly one of them is a landlord himself now ?

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/mar/19/carter-usm-the-unstoppable-sex-machine-how-we-made-sheriff-fatman

4 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Most of the 80s stuff just seems pop karaoke crap. Probably the worst decade of music, for me.

This was me a few years back, but I believe there are gems to be found if you search hard enough.

My fav music decades in order...   70s. 60s, 90s, 80s, 2000s

The arrival of digital recording did rock music no favours , in my opinion.

• Admin
42 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

This was me a few years back, but I believe there are gems to be found if you search hard enough.

My fav music decades in order...   70s. 60s, 90s, 80s, 2000s

The arrival of digital recording did rock music no favours , in my opinion.

I don’t listen to much recorded music, the gym is about the only place, ( although that’s been out the window much of this year) but I do like live music, anything from a top international band or singer, festivals or even a good covers band in a pub, just much prefer it live.  Can’t wait to get back to gigs.

Archived