IGNORED

LANDSDOWN.... IS THIS WHAT YOU WANTED?

SouthStand Sandwich

It's a catch 22...

SL has created a blueprint to how he wants the Club run.

Which is all about creating a pathway for the Academy, which we are seeing right now, and buying value in the market...and making profit from them, then replacing.

All doing that, with staff who are willing to put their neck on the line and be judged accordingly, working to that remit.

That imo...narrows down the pool of people who will work for you.

The staff with success at getting out of this division all have their own tried and tested methods. The chances of them working under SL's remit is slim.

So imo...what's been created is a blueprint that will create a stable Championship side with the resources we have, but not one that will gain promotion. 

We'll Bob about between relegation and just under play offs the longer it continues.

If by any chance we lucked out and sneaked up through the play offs...what good would that blueprint be? It would have to be shelved.

The pathway between academy, loaned out and Prem quality is pretty non existent.

With players we have...imo this season is a case of more development and another coach brought in next season. I think Holden has been tasked to blood the likes of Semenyo and Bakinson, Vyner etc.

Without the injuries...and a season under their belt, it has the makings of a good team next season.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's a catch 22...

SL has created a blueprint to how he wants the Club run.

Which is all about creating a pathway for the Academy, which we are seeing right now, and buying value in the market...and making profit from them, then replacing.

All doing that, with staff who are willing to put their neck on the line and be judged accordingly, working to that remit.

That imo...narrows down the pool of people who will work for you.

The staff with success at getting out of this division all have their own tried and tested methods. The chances of them working under SL's remit is slim.

So imo...what's been created is a blueprint that will create a stable Championship side with the resources we have, but not one that will gain promotion. 

We'll Bob about between relegation and just under play offs the longer it continues.

If by any chance we lucked out and sneaked up through the play offs...what good would that blueprint be? It would have to be shelved.

The pathway between academy, loaned out and Prem quality is pretty non existent.

With players we have...imo this season is a case of more development and another coach brought in next season. I think Holden has been tasked to blood the likes of Semenyo and Bakinson, Vyner etc.

Without the injuries...and a season under their belt, it has the makings of a good team next season.

Agree, but do you have faith that Holden is short term and they will appoint a new man who can take us forward next season?

1 minute ago, M.D said:

Agree, but do you have faith that Holden is short term and they will appoint a new man who can take us forward next season?

I think that's what will happen. If not before if we continue in the same vein.

We know SL doesn't knee jerk...and airs on the side of caution.

The one thing Holden has on his side, is the excuse of injuries to so many prime players.

That will be taken into account I'm sure.

But I do have a hunch that Holden is short term in the big picture.

17 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think that's what will happen. If not before if we continue in the same vein.

We know SL doesn't knee jerk...and airs on the side of caution.

The one thing Holden has on his side, is the excuse of injuries to so many prime players.

That will be taken into account I'm sure.

I get that, always thought DH was a stop gap cheap option to see us through the Covid season, unfair to an extent on DH but I live in hope we have a bigger picture in mind..

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It’s ‘Lansdown’ - he’s done enough for our club to deserve having his name spelled correctly - but I share your frustration chief ...

Kind of True to a point.... BUT you must remember It's HIS Club and HIS Ground its not ours anymore. And sadly YES this is exactly what he wants. He is nervous about the Premier league and wishes to stay in the championship. When you consider each of his most recent managerial appointments.., we could ask ourselves, what other proof of that do we need?

45 minutes ago, spudski said:

Except that without a coach who knows how to get promoted which includes keeping the players on side we will likely fail again. I think what most of said Championship coaches realise is that keeping players on side and motivated will likely only work for a couple of seasons at most which also likely explains the churn. The long term view we have at the Gate, although we know this is not expressed by the hierarchy but is obvious and in plain sight, is fit only for a coach who will toe the policy of the club. That, almost by definition, means a young coach who has NOT been there and done it.

30 minutes ago, spudski said:

That would defy my argument above. I do not see City going for a short term coach at all. I do not believe they have done it this time or in any of the previous half dozen or so appointments save, perhaps, for the shell shock after Coppell walked.

City's policy is firm, fixed and clearly not working in what should be its primary aim, promotion. 120 million v 3 million? And during this bonkers and wasted year with no crowds even more so.

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Except that without a coach who knows how to get promoted which includes keeping the players on side we will likely fail again. I think what most of said Championship coaches realise is that keeping players on side and motivated will likely only work for a couple of seasons at most which also likely explains the churn. The long term view we have at the Gate, although we know this is not expressed by the hierarchy but is obvious and in plain sight, is fit only for a coach who will toe the policy of the club. That, almost by definition, means a young coach who has NOT been there and done it.

That would defy my argument above. I do not see City going for a short term coach at all. I do not believe they have done it this time or in any of the previous half dozen or so appointments save, perhaps, for the shell shock after Coppell walked.

City's policy is firm, fixed and clearly not working in what should be its primary aim, promotion. 120 million v 3 million? And during this bonkers and wasted year with no crowds even more so.

I wouldn't be surprised if Eddie Howe is approached or already has been.

Given that the club is not up for sale those of you who don’t like things have two choices - buy the club , oh you need £13 million a year in income (after tax if that makes a difference) to keep the team going plus all the additional costs for The Academy, the ladies team, and community work, and all the new assets, or go support someone else - Torquay  are doing well at the moment.  Although I hear they have American owners and an even stricter budget than we have.

7 hours ago, havanatopia said:

He was, past tense. He was told he would NOT have final say on transfers. He walked away.

Not saying you are wrong, but I saw someone say Hughton turned up unprepared and wanted to totally rebuild the squad. Not sure how these things get in the public domain. Only 3/4 people would be in the room when this happens.

I would love to know the truth.

43 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Not saying you are wrong, but I saw someone say Hughton turned up unprepared and wanted to totally rebuild the squad. Not sure how these things get in the public domain. Only 3/4 people would be in the room when this happens.

I would love to know the truth.

Got to agree - I take very much with a pinch of salt any details that are rumoured to have come out of an interview - given it has to be either the interviewee or agent chatting or MA/JL chatting. 

If it were MA/JL surely the agent/manager would pick up on that quickly and we’d get a reputation in football for breaking confidential info...don’t buy it myself. 

Regardless of personal feelings about the board, pretty much everything they’ve done in way of transfers and appointments has appeared tight lipped and above board in terms of professionalism.  

On 19/12/2020 at 09:28, italian dave said:

a man who has done a huge amount to move the club on from where it was 15 years ago. 

He certainly has. Problem for Steve and us, football also simultaneously moved on from where it was 15 years ago, quicker than Bristol City even, and so all of Steve's millions have "only" taken us so far, back to where we were under GJ. Back to where we have been before in our history, at times. Steve's millions are enabling us to run so that we stand still now, rather than go forward from here (it would appear).

I think it is difficult to argue that Steve has or appears to have met a glass ceiling of sorts (assuming this season fizzles out, and Deano fails to get us into the play-offs this season, or next). That the hardest bit for him in all this is the next step, going from where we are now to actually getting over the line, and setting foot on Treasure Island. 

Steve is "15 years" too late, he wanted to be where we are now "15 years ago" when Madjeski and a few others were able to transform modest clubs' fortunes with ground moves/transformation and millions of their personal wealth. It's unfortunate.

With the financial restrictions now, it is arguably harder than ever to win promotion to the top division without being one of the parachute payment clubs.

I'm not sure that Steve has the football nous and instinct that, say, people on the Burnley board might have, to see us over this final obstacle, involving as it does getting the appointment of CEO and/or head coach bang on, or being very lucky (like, say, Huddersfield with Wagner.  Much good that it has done them, though).

I was really surprised by @Harry’s list of recent permanent signings, and 6 out of 7 being 30+.  Okay, that includes Rodri and A.Williams, who are both gone

Ok, Brunt is likely to be gone by summer, Mariappa too.  Wells looks ok at 30.  Martin, after a great start, suddenly looks like he could be moving into a “2 year millstone round our beck”.

But the point us we’ve gone away from buying youngsters, and if it does go south, we are going to be repeating similar mistakes as the past 8-10 years.  Luckily it’s only Martin and Wells of the 30+ brigade who are contracted beyond the summer.

The strategy has become muddled.  That comes from SL and MA, and implemented by MA and LJ, now DH.

We need to regroup....quickly.

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I was really surprised by @Harry’s list of recent permanent signings, and 6 out of 7 being 30+.  Okay, that includes Rodri and A.Williams, who are both gone

Ok, Brunt is likely to be gone by summer, Mariappa too.  Wells looks ok at 30.  Martin, after a great start, suddenly looks like he could be moving into a “2 year millstone round our beck”.

But the point us we’ve gone away from buying youngsters, and if it does go south, we are going to be repeating similar mistakes as the past 8-10 years.  Luckily it’s only Martin and Wells of the 30+ brigade who are contracted beyond the summer.

The strategy has become muddled.  That comes from SL and MA, and implemented by MA and LJ, now DH.

Totally agree, the clubs recruitment policy has changed and as a club we are not even treading water now, this could turn into a slide downwards..

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Aren't quite a lot of middling to older players out of contract in the summer however?

Could be a short term hindrance. Older players do seem to be getting accumulated though, you and Harry quite right.

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Aren't quite a lot of middling to older players out of contract in the summer however?

Could be a short term hindrance. Older players do seem to be getting accumulated though, you and Harry quite right.

You’ve got to replace them though....but I agree would be good to redress the balance and sign young players in Lg1 like Szmodics, Eisa, Walsh, etc. ?

Seriousky though, I’d like to see a return to a young dynamic side.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You’ve got to replace them though....but I agree would be good to redress the balance and sign young players in Lg1 like Szmodics, Eisa, Walsh, etc. ?

Seriousky though, I’d like to see a return to a young dynamic side.

How we replace will be interesting. The age profile of the squad should improve this summer though, as a starting point. Aging strikers could become a problem.

Off the top of my head:

Bentley, O'Leary

Kalas, Moore, Vyner, DaSilva

O'Dowda, Williams, Nagy, Bakinson, Massengo

Semenyo

All in contract beyond this season, all in a good age range for position and none out on loan atm. Need to get Walsh renewed too, there's our starting point. Probably missed a few as well.

I do believe SL wants promotion to the Premiership but he wants to do it his way . Holden is perfect to help blood the kids and sell em on . With the restrictions put on the club by Covid he was the right choice according to the club’s blueprint.  The football unfortunately is as bad as last season and our bright start has faulted . SL will be patient and hopefully the injured will return and then so might the football . I believe without SL we would’ve gone under and yes he wants us to reach the land of plenty 

25 minutes ago, shelts said:

I do believe SL wants promotion to the Premiership but he wants to do it his way . Holden is perfect to help blood the kids and sell em on . With the restrictions put on the club by Covid he was the right choice according to the club’s blueprint.  The football unfortunately is as bad as last season and our bright start has faulted . SL will be patient and hopefully the injured will return and then so might the football . I believe without SL we would’ve gone under and yes he wants us to reach the land of plenty 

How dare you come on here with your rational, considered opinion - don`t you know the club is rotten from the top down and deserves to be in the Conference.

Sack everyone. Or something.

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This may be blindingly obvious but the correct transfer policy should always be a blend.

Look at Cardiff, Millwall & Preston, their squad is littered with 30 somethings, ours up until recently was probably too much the other way.

The Wells transfer was the game changer for me, paying £4m or £5m (so in effect halving what we got for Brownhill) for someone who was 30 in the summer on a long contract with no likelihood of any re-sale value at the end of it seemed totally out of odds with any previous recent signings.

Other 30+ ones like Ashley Williams and Maenpaa were either short term contracts or free transfers or often both.

I think Holden wanted a bigger core of experienced players hence Martin & Brunt, but the summer’s recruitment looks awful as we approach the half way point of the season, 4 out of 5 of them are now long term injured & the initial positive impression from the only one actually fit (Martin) is fading by the game.

Archived