IGNORED

LANDSDOWN.... IS THIS WHAT YOU WANTED?

SouthStand Sandwich

On 19/12/2020 at 12:47, Eastendboy1965 said:

Kind of True to a point.... BUT you must remember It's HIS Club and HIS Ground its not ours anymore. And sadly YES this is exactly what he wants. He is nervous about the Premier league and wishes to stay in the championship. When you consider each of his most recent managerial appointments.., we could ask ourselves, what other proof of that do we need?

He's told you he's nervous about the PL ?

On 19/12/2020 at 01:00, Mendip City said:

Yeah I remember all those threads 

what I don’t remember  is a single one day sack Lee and appoint Holden. 

I don’t remember ones saying sack Lee and find the closest thing to Lee. 

I do remember thinking that Lansdown (through his puppet Ashton and his son) might petulantly stick to a failing plan.... and here we are. 

Holden is doing ok with a mid table squad and little experience.... trouble is someone told us the aim was far, far higher.  

How can the Lansdowns aim far far higher if they are not prepared to aim far far higher with their managerial appointments. 

57 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

This may be blindingly obvious but the correct transfer policy should always be a blend.

Look at Cardiff, Millwall & Preston, their squad is littered with 30 somethings, ours up until recently was probably too much the other way.

The Wells transfer was the game changer for me, paying £4m or £5m (so in effect halving what we got for Brownhill) for someone who was 30 in the summer on a long contract with no likelihood of any re-sale value at the end of it seemed totally out of odds with any previous recent signings.

Other 30+ ones like Ashley Williams and Maenpaa were either short term contracts or free transfers or often both.

I think Holden wanted a bigger core of experienced players hence Martin & Brunt, but the summer’s recruitment looks awful as we approach the half way point of the season, 4 out of 5 of them are now long term injured & the initial positive impression from the only one actually fit (Martin) is fading by the game.

Somewhat knackered isn't he- we've been overplaying him, with strikers who are 30 and upwards, it's a fairly condensed timeline- we should have been rotating him more, and he's not the only one.

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Somewhat knackered isn't he- we've been overplaying him, with strikers who are 30 and upwards, it's a fairly condensed timeline- we should have been rotating him more, and he's not the only one.

Yes & completely indefensible, as unlike in midfield where Nagy has had to play game after game with so many others injured, Famara has been available for every single game bar Preston, yet he has only started 4 all season.

This isn’t some untried youngster, he was last season’s top scorer FFS & whether he signs a new deal or not, Fam should have started in his place far more often.

51 minutes ago, City1970 said:

How can the Lansdowns aim far far higher if they are not prepared to aim far far higher with their managerial appointments. 

It’s just lansdown bullshit. Tell us the aim is prem... and give us a manager who realistically would have struggled to get better than a national league/div 4 job. 

it’s not Holden’s fault. I feel he’s doing as well as I’d expect with his inexperience and lack of real quality playing staff - the squad is no better than last year’s mid-table one. 

9 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

He certainly has. Problem for Steve and us, football also simultaneously moved on from where it was 15 years ago, quicker than Bristol City even, and so all of Steve's millions have "only" taken us so far, back to where we were under GJ. Back to where we have been before in our history, at times. Steve's millions are enabling us to run so that we stand still now, rather than go forward from here (it would appear).

I think it is difficult to argue that Steve has or appears to have met a glass ceiling of sorts (assuming this season fizzles out, and Deano fails to get us into the play-offs this season, or next). That the hardest bit for him in all this is the next step, going from where we are now to actually getting over the line, and setting foot on Treasure Island. 

Steve is "15 years" too late, he wanted to be where we are now "15 years ago" when Madjeski and a few others were able to transform modest clubs' fortunes with ground moves/transformation and millions of their personal wealth. It's unfortunate.

With the financial restrictions now, it is arguably harder than ever to win promotion to the top division without being one of the parachute payment clubs.

I'm not sure that Steve has the football nous and instinct that, say, people on the Burnley board might have, to see us over this final obstacle, involving as it does getting the appointment of CEO and/or head coach bang on, or being very lucky (like, say, Huddersfield with Wagner.  Much good that it has done them, though).

So perhaps to give you the best chance you would move heaven and earth to engage the services of a manager who has a proven record of achieving promotion from the championship. If you really wanted it that badly. Yea, I'm thinking of Middlesbrough who have just passed us by. And scoring for fun of late. NW ball can't be any worse than what we're being served up at the moment. Tin hat on...

I said, after the series of losses earlier in season, that if we were no lower than 14th at end of year we could still have a good season. This was assuming some of our long term injuries returning in January &, of course, injury situation is now far worse. I still feel this is feasable. Recent performances have been dire in the extreme although maybe a few hopeful shoots in last game. First half bad, but thought Massengo unlucky to be taken off as he was one of the better performers. Nagy & Martin are completely knackered & with more fit players need a rest. Second half thought some good performances, particularly O'Dowda showed promise & was actually not a bad watch.

It's important performances improve or the club could be in for a big shock when supporters stay away in droves when we eventually can return.

In the meantime keep the faith in DL & DH. Perhaps a DOF may help & maybe clip Ashton's wings a tad!

3 minutes ago, greengrass said:

I said, after the series of losses earlier in season, that if we were no lower than 14th at end of year we could still have a good season. This was assuming some of our long term injuries returning in January &, of course, injury situation is now far worse. I still feel this is feasable. Recent performances have been dire in the extreme although maybe a few hopeful shoots in last game. First half bad, but thought Massengo unlucky to be taken off as he was one of the better performers. Nagy & Martin are completely knackered & with more fit players need a rest. Second half thought some good performances, particularly O'Dowda showed promise & was actually not a bad watch.

It's important performances improve or the club could be in for a big shock when supporters stay away in droves when we eventually can return.

In the meantime keep the faith in DL & DH. Perhaps a DOF may help & maybe clip Ashton's wings a tad!

Excellent post.  Really puts the present situation in perspective.  One key factor for any successful season is a largely fit squad.  How many serious injuries did we have in 2014/15?  We are doing well to be where we are, and it’s a no-brainer that with the majority of our squad available we would be doing substantially better.

3 hours ago, Red Shadow said:

So perhaps to give you the best chance you would move heaven and earth to engage the services of a manager who has a proven record of achieving promotion from the championship. If you really wanted it that badly. Yea, I'm thinking of Middlesbrough who have just passed us by. And scoring for fun of late. NW ball can't be any worse than what we're being served up at the moment. Tin hat on...

Our last 2 promotions (and the only ones achieved during Steve Lansdown’s ownership) have been with experienced managers who have previously achieved promotions elsewhere. Perhaps if he reflected on that fact, he might not have let Ashton and his son appoint a coach from the previous (failed) coaching set up as the head coach, if promotion to the Premier League really was the aim this season. It also stands in complete contrast to what has happened at the rugby club, who have been promoted and made progress under a very experienced coach who has previously been successful elsewhere.

Archived