IGNORED

The ghost of Chris Ma-rtin past.

Prinny

I just wanted to use that title really...

Actually, what's happened to our assist king?

Teams have understood that we have no threat in behind and squeeze play up the pitch, so that he's wandering around near the half way line and surrounded by players. The spacing of the team back to front is wrong.

If we bring in one player in Jan, it needs to be a striker who can stretch the play and get Wells and Martin closer to goal. It'll also creates space for the likes of O'Dowda and Hunt as we saw more second half.

The best thing we can do for now is play Semenyo alongside one of them in a 2, or flank Wells with pace in a three.

Just now, Prinny said:

Teams have understood that we have no threat in behind and squeeze play up the pitch, so that he's wandering around near the half way line and surrounded by players. The spacing of the team back to front is wrong.

If we bring in one player in Jan, it needs to be a striker who can stretch the play and get Wells and Martin closer to goal. It'll also creates space for the likes of O'Dowda and Hunt as we saw more second half.

The best thing we can do for now is play Semenyo alongside one of them in a 2, or flank Wells with pace in a three.

Semenyo up front please seriously?

His ONLY threat is when he runs at players out wide and your suggesting this is removed so he can play in a 2.....which puts emphasis on his finishing which is currently downs standard.

Got to look at Holden there, inexplicably has started him game after game when Famara has been available (obviously not tonight) & as a result he has been less effective by the game.

At present he is running like he is pulling a tractor behind him.

35 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

Semenyo up front please seriously?

His ONLY threat is when he runs at players out wide and your suggesting this is removed so he can play in a 2.....which puts emphasis on his finishing which is currently downs standard.

I agree. But Martin doesn't score either, and never really has.

2 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

I'd be tempted to play wells up top my himself....did wonders for qpr 

I get what you are saying, but I had enough of one up top under Johnson. Personally speaking, I think that I would keep a 442, push Hunt up in front of Marriapa and go with Semenyo up front until Famara is back. I know Semenyo won't score if you play him for a year, but neither will Martin, and at least Semenyo has pace and makes things happen.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

That's true but my eyes are telling me that Martin is getting increasingly sloppy in his link up play.

The whole team is getting sloppy in everything they do, to be honest. That reflects very badly on those that coach and manage them. They're with them 3 or 4 days a week and are currently producing performances where members of the team look like they've met for the first time 20mins before kick off. 

Chris Martin is a class act in the C'Ship. He's already proven that as a City player and, frankly, we're lucky to have him. 

59 minutes ago, Prinny said:

I would say, since we started this "keep it tight first half " attitude it has meant we don't keep the ball well enough in the final third. We don't make "situations" where we can create things. Even the 4-3-3 , the "3" are so far apart there is no link up play. Plus he has played a lot, Fam should have been given a run to let Martin have a rest, but instead Holden's flogged him to death, it can't help.

After tonight, I'd be very tempted to try the 4-3-3 with Wells central, Semenyo and COD either side. If Bakinson shows more like tonight, that could be exciting. At least on paper. 

11 minutes ago, mozo said:

That's true but my eyes are telling me that Martin is getting increasingly sloppy in his link up play.

Our link up play up front is just about non existent. But it’s not necessarily the strikers problem, we just don’t have anyone in midfield that can get beyond the strikers. 
Ideally it would be good to get Martin to drop deeper, hold the ball up and allow a midfield runner to get beyond him with third man runs. We just don’t have anyone capable of doing it though.

Another point, why do we insist on constantly putting crosses into the 6 yard box, or close to the keeper, are we not capable of pulling balls back to the edge of the box. We constantly play into the hands of the opposition, as every Championship side has two big centre half’s that will head our crosses away for fun! 

24 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Our link up play up front is just about non existent. But it’s not necessarily the strikers problem, we just don’t have anyone in midfield that can get beyond the strikers. 
Ideally it would be good to get Martin to drop deeper, hold the ball up and allow a midfield runner to get beyond him with third man runs. We just don’t have anyone capable of doing it though.

Another point, why do we insist on constantly putting crosses into the 6 yard box, or close to the keeper, are we not capable of pulling balls back to the edge of the box. We constantly play into the hands of the opposition, as every Championship side has two big centre half’s that will head our crosses away for fun! 

No idea. We look most dangerous when we work the ball into the box from wide positions, with Semenyo or O'Dowda wriggling in towards the 6 yard box and squaring it or cutting the ball back.

So focus on doing that!

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

As a general rule, you need to give your forwards service in order for them to perform. 

Yeah and Wells, Fammy and Martin are all proven at this level. We can blame them when they start wasting dozens of chances.... not right now when they are feeding off scraps. 

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

He's a decent enough striker at this level. I would drop him and either go Semenyo and Wells, or Wells up top on his own playing on the shoulder

Our current play is either hoof ball or hoping Hunt can pick someone out with a cross... I look forward to seeing your suggested tactic employed with all the creative midfielders we currently have at our disposal.

I feel for both Martin and Wells to be honest. Even the most prolific of strikers wouldn’t of had a sniff in that first half and the second half was only really marginally better in terms of chances created.

Lets be fair we have seen already Martin is an intelligent player with great link up play but he needs others around him. He needs a ball playing midfielder sitting behind him and feeding him - something we just don’t have at present. 

1 hour ago, Bassomylord said:

Not surpised he jumped at the chance 2+1 contract. Madness for a player whose legs have gone.

What drivel... have his legs suddenly gone in the last 5 games? He was quality before that.

The knee jerk reactions on OTIB are embarrassing... are fans of all clubs as bad of this?

2 hours ago, Superjack said:

He started with about four good games when he was trying to impress. Now he does **** all. Sorry but he's a waste of a shirt. He reminds me of Kevin Nugent, though at least Nugent used to score about 1 in 3.

You're a ******.

4 hours ago, Prinny said:

It’s what I keep saying....the distances are too big.

I stuck up some passing network maps the other day, on average we are c10 yards more stretched than we were earlier this season.  But that doesn’t take into account when opposition have the ball.

Kalas is setting us up so deep it’s affecting the whole team.

Garry Birtles, ex-Forest striker who used to be a co-commentator used to say the optimum distance back to front was 35 yards.  I even heard LJ say 35-40 yards once.

Tonight we were regularly 50-60 yards.

If you don’t get your defensive line higher, a quick striker won’t benefit either.

I was  very frustrated by that tonight.  Kalas has pace, he can set up much higher.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It’s what I keep saying....the distances are too big.

I stuck up some passing network maps the other day, on average we are c10 yards more stretched than we were earlier this season.  But that doesn’t take into account when opposition have the ball.

Kalas is setting us up so deep it’s affecting the whole team.

Garry Birtles, ex-Forest striker who used to be a co-commentator used to say the optimum distance back to front was 35 yards.  I even heard LJ say 35-40 yards once.

Tonight we were regularly 50-60 yards.

If you don’t get your defensive line higher, a quick striker won’t benefit either.

I was  very frustrated by that tonight.  Kalas has pace, he can set up much higher.

Don't disagree with what you are saying BUT there were multiple times last night (and in his previous 4 or 5 appearances) where he has got hold of the ball only to give possession away cheaply - that in complete contrast to his excellent hold up play earlier in the season. Also, whilst it was never a strong suit, he is running like he has lead boots on. I think the string of games means he is not recovering to play at his best.

Defo needs to be benched for me, it was awful game management by Holden to leave him struggling on last night instead of giving Sam Bell 30 mins. 

Archived