IGNORED

We did what you need to do to win a game at this level."

Major Isewater

Quote from Alex Neil. 
So in a nutshell is the reason why Preston over achieve and we underachieve.

We don’t like pragmatic football and expect our team to blow away the opposition with exciting attacking football.

We are football snobs with nothing to show from this attitude other than a few seasons in the sunshine at a time when most of us on OTIB were spotty kids. 

Our owner is ‘ unrealistic ‘ I believe. He is passionate and romantic about our football but pragmatism seems to be snubbed at his club.

Until We pay the going rate for top players and staff then we won’t break through with the style of play that we would all love to see. 

So how about being realistic about the players we can attract and the budget we have ? 

Get them organised, fit and fighting for the cause and maybe we can achieve what , in fairness Preston haven’t done yet, a place at the top table. 

Major, at no point in the past 3 years have we played anything that can be described as exciting or attractive football.

The vast majority of our wins have been dirty, niggly, "pragmatic" wins that perhaps contradicted the general flow of the game. There is a reason we have developed a reputation for "shithousing" our way to victory.

I'm not sure what you're asking for here.

We really need to revise our transfers is what I think. I think it's arrogance we barely ever dip into the League 1 or League 2 market.

Points being this..

Our best football for years between 2014 and 2017 came by having a squad full of League 1 and League 2 players who were young and hungry enough to prove they could make the step up to the 2nd tier.

We now have a side full of youngsters who aren't good enough or ready, with experienced players at this level who are not hungry enough to push this club on. 

Lots of teams in this League go to League 1 and League 2 clubs with money to sign players, coupled with a loan signing or 2. I'm not say copy their models, but they have players who will over time improve the team. We never really gave Eisa or Szmodics a fair crack, or even Adelakun. 

I think some at our club are arrogant and feel we're better than looking at players from clubs like Crewe Alexandra, because we have so many fantastic U23's of our own, apparentely.

When you're comparing us to Preston, that's the point. Why can't we be as effective as them at decision making, but with our bigger budget?

How about we don't spend £4.5 million on Wells without a plan to use him effectively? How about we don't buy a Kasey Palmer for £4 million and loan him out? etc etc

If we made better decisions, we could challenge better. Obvious statement of the year.

And to say we're not happy with pragmatic football.. at the start of the season we were pretty happy with the wins and then killing the game. So I just don't think you're right.

1 hour ago, Kykoliko said:

Major, at no point in the past 3 years have we played anything that can be described as exciting or attractive football.

The vast majority of our wins have been dirty, niggly, "pragmatic" wins that perhaps contradicted the general flow of the game. There is a reason we have developed a reputation for "shithousing" our way to victory.

I'm not sure what you're asking for here.

I agree but the policy was not to buy or develop, players like those we see at Preston, Rotherham, Millwall etc it was to bring in good human beings with lovely hair and smiles. Those lads are good to watch when it is working out but not gutsy enough otherwise.

We are not big enough to look down on the those types of ,aforementioned ,clubs or their squads of journey men and castoffs who know their place in the pecking order and the need to stick it up everyone in their path.

We have achieved nothing with the City DNA for over fifty years whilst others have passed us by. 

I am glad to see a bit more straight talking from Holden and his staff and I would be delighted if he réalises that we need steel, backbone and fight to get this club anywhere.

Let’s face it, nobody wants us in the Prem so it is up to us to battle every inch of the way to get there. We will get no helpful officials at our games. 

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Quote from Alex Neil. 
So in a nutshell is the reason why Preston over achieve and we underachieve.

We don’t like pragmatic football and expect our team to blow away the opposition with exciting attacking football.

We are football snobs with nothing to show from this attitude other than a few seasons in the sunshine at a time when most of us on OTIB were spotty kids. 

Our owner is ‘ unrealistic ‘ I believe. He is passionate and romantic about our football but pragmatism seems to be snubbed at his club.

Until We pay the going rate for top players and staff then we won’t break through with the style of play that we would all love to see. 

So how about being realistic about the players we can attract and the budget we have ? 

Get them organised, fit and fighting for the cause and maybe we can achieve what , in fairness Preston haven’t done yet, a place at the top table. 

At the same time though Preston played  nicer football in the final 3rd than we did (mostly Sinclair).

Archived