IGNORED

Liam Walsh (Merged)

Bassomylord

This whole Liam Walsh saga is really starting to wind me up.

The bloke signed for us 3 years ago in January, and from the off I had a feeling he never wanted to be here.  He has played 15 championship games in 3 years, and bar a decent 45 mins in the second half vs Stoke we have nursed him through whatever injury he had in year 1, allowed him to go to Coventry for year 2, and this final year seems to be a write off (whether that is on his part who knows).

I wish Richard Hoskins would also push Holden on the contract situation of Walsh & Diedhiou.  We are told a contract has been on the table for the entirety of this season, but it smacks of the Maynard situation all over again.  If they aren't going to sign lets remove the contract offers (wouldn't surprise me if this hasn't already happened) and move on, rather than this endless charade about Walsh's return.

Difference is with Weimann we all saw it happen, we know it was a major one & he has had an operation.

I have absolutely no idea what is going on with the other 2, but for those slagging off Nagy, Paterson, Bakinson, O’Dowda & HNM, they’ll be the ones playing all the games in the interim..

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Difference is with Weimann we all saw it happen, we know it was a major one & he has had an operation.

I have absolutely no idea what is going on with the other 2, but for those slagging off Nagy, Paterson, Bakinson, O’Dowda & HNM, they’ll be the ones playing all the games in the interim..

I wouldn’t bet against AW playing before we see Williams in a City shirt , let alone Walsh who we may (Likely IMHO) well never see again 

THINGS YOU’D DO IF LIAM WALSH EVER PLAYS FOR BRISTOL CITY AGAIN 

1) If Liam Walsh ever plays for Bristol City again, I’ll paraglide naked onto the pitch on the opening day of next season. 

2) ..... 

Come on folks, indulge yourselves..... 

20 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Showing my age here .... but for some (childish) reason my mind flashes straight to these when ‘The missing scouse pair’  Walsh and Williams are discussed again 

Maybe they are in pantomime until the New Year 

Oh no they’re not!

38 minutes ago, Harry said:

1) If Liam Walsh ever plays for Bristol City again, I’ll paraglide naked onto the pitch on the opening day of next season. 

2) ..... 

back to the future GIF

Set the clock back to Stoke (h) Marty!!!

Does anyone have any insight on what's actually going on ?

When these injuries were first reported there was no talk of them being out until anything like Christmas let alone February. 

I remember hearing about them being back after international breaks which was ages ago. 

Not expecting the club to give a running commentary but sounds like something in the process has gone dramatically wrong OR something else is going on (maybe in Walsh's case anyway?)

Well, I'm an unapologetic Walsh 'fan' - not a big one because we haven't seen enough.

From what I've seen though he's exactly the sort of skilful, creative, positive, front foot player I want to see in a City shirt.

I'm really surprised some seem to have taken against him or believe there may be some sort skulduggery afoot here.

He's injured - it's incredibly frustrating, not least for the player himself no doubt, but as with Weimann, Williams, Baker, Paterson etc. there's no more to it than that imo.

16 hours ago, AG City said:

This whole Liam Walsh saga is really starting to wind me up.

The bloke signed for us 3 years ago in January, and from the off I had a feeling he never wanted to be here.  He has played 15 championship games in 3 years, and bar a decent 45 mins in the second half vs Stoke we have nursed him through whatever injury he had in year 1, allowed him to go to Coventry for year 2, and this final year seems to be a write off (whether that is on his part who knows).

I wish Richard Hoskins would also push Holden on the contract situation of Walsh & Diedhiou.  We are told a contract has been on the table for the entirety of this season, but it smacks of the Maynard situation all over again.  If they aren't going to sign lets remove the contract offers (wouldn't surprise me if this hasn't already happened) and move on, rather than this endless charade about Walsh's return.

Holder’s made it clear several times that he is not involved in contract negotiations.  That is Mark Ashton’s area.

I share the frustration of other posters on here.  In the past when we have had a player whose injury is taking longer than expected we have called in top medical experts for opinions, sometimes in the States.  That may be problematic at the moment, but given the length of time since they were first injured, the club ought by now to know precisely the nature of their injuries, the appropriate treatment, and their expected return date.  I suspect Dean Holden is as frustrated as anyone, but there is certainly something not quite right here.  Williams only signed for us in the summer, so presumably he does want to play for us, while Walsh was given the number 8 shirt which seems very odd if he wasn’t committed to us.  All very strange indeed.

I’m going to be very careful how I word this (and mods, please remove if necessary) but I have a real nagging doubt that it’s not injury, it’s not contract, but it’s some kind of wider, potentially legal trouble. 

No source, no insight. But I’m struggling to come up with other plausible explanations as the ever moving injuries for the two of them (one I could buy, two seems coincidental) just don’t hold water

Edit: Second theory - long COVID? Aren’t there two Newcastle players hit by it and it would explain an indeterminate period out and multiple setbacks?

14 hours ago, Harry said:

2) ..... 

2) I'll keep my eyes shut for the entirety of the opening game of next season

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Holder’s made it clear several times that he is not involved in contract negotiations.  That is Mark Ashton’s area.

I share the frustration of other posters on here.  In the past when we have had a player whose injury is taking longer than expected we have called in top medical experts for opinions, sometimes in the States.  That may be problematic at the moment, but given the length of time since they were first injured, the club ought by now to know precisely the nature of their injuries, the appropriate treatment, and their expected return date.  I suspect Dean Holden is as frustrated as anyone, but there is certainly something not quite right here.  Williams only signed for us in the summer, so presumably he does want to play for us, while Walsh was given the number 8 shirt which seems very odd if he wasn’t committed to us.  All very strange indeed.

He's too busy screaming "it's Christmaaaaas!!!"

• Admin
19 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m going to be very careful how I word this (and mods, please remove if necessary) but I have a real nagging doubt that it’s not injury, it’s not contract, but it’s some kind of wider, potentially legal trouble. 

No source, no insight. But I’m struggling to come up with other plausible explanations as the ever moving injuries for the two of them (one I could buy, two seems coincidental) just don’t hold water

He's not one of those players that is one appearance/ goal etc, from triggering some kind of extension to his contract?

Obviously different times, but will always remember bumping into Robin Hulbert at Temple Meads when he was set to sign for us, he said Swindon couldn't afford for him to play another game for them as it triggered wage raise and contract extension if he played one more game for them

33 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Edit: Second theory - long COVID? Aren’t there two Newcastle players hit by it and it would explain an indeterminate period out and multiple setbacks?

For info he was at the Huddersfield (a) game (I think it was that game) seen walking in the tunnel after the win.

Personally I can’t see Walsh signing a new contract with us now. The club are seemingly happy to give him and extension despite the injury (ie not like Korey who was expected to prove fitness/ability post injury - rightly so after two big ones), so the questions have to come from Walsh’s side. He’s either money oriented and wants to see what’s on the table in January for a summer free transfer, or he’s been burnt by ruddy Johnsons refusal to give him any sort of run in the team before shipping him out on loan, and wants assurances on playing time that we won’t give?

Ashton is very very good at getting us top dollar for our coveted players, but has he been any good at convincing any of them to sign a new contract?

Bryan - left in last year, not going to sign an extension 

Reid - left in last year, not going to sign an extension 

Flint - signed but seemingly on the proviso he could go next summer 

Brownhill - left with 18 months left under a rumoured release fee

O’Dowda - signed eventually after a bad injury and after rumoured interest from other teams didn’t seem to materialise (this may be my view rather than fact)

Diedhiou- not signed

Walsh - not signed 

29 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Personally I can’t see Walsh signing a new contract with us now. The club are seemingly happy to give him and extension despite the injury (ie not like Korey who was expected to prove fitness/ability post injury - rightly so after two big ones), so the questions have to come from Walsh’s side. He’s either money oriented and wants to see what’s on the table in January for a summer free transfer, or he’s been burnt by ruddy Johnsons refusal to give him any sort of run in the team before shipping him out on loan, and wants assurances on playing time that we won’t give?

Ashton is very very good at getting us top dollar for our coveted players, but has he been any good at convincing any of them to sign a new contract?

Bryan - left in last year, not going to sign an extension 

Reid - left in last year, not going to sign an extension 

Flint - signed but seemingly on the proviso he could go next summer 

Brownhill - left with 18 months left under a rumoured release fee

O’Dowda - signed eventually after a bad injury and after rumoured interest from other teams didn’t seem to materialise (this may be my view rather than fact)

Diedhiou- not signed

Walsh - not signed 

But harsh blaming Ashton for these players leaving. If we’d have made it to the ‘promised land’ I bet none of them would’ve jumped.

Archived