IGNORED

Liam Walsh (Merged)

Bassomylord

1 hour ago, Dredd said:

Personally I can’t see Walsh signing a new contract with us now. The club are seemingly happy to give him and extension despite the injury (ie not like Korey who was expected to prove fitness/ability post injury - rightly so after two big ones), so the questions have to come from Walsh’s side. He’s either money oriented and wants to see what’s on the table in January for a summer free transfer, or he’s been burnt by ruddy Johnsons refusal to give him any sort of run in the team before shipping him out on loan, and wants assurances on playing time that we won’t give?

Ashton is very very good at getting us top dollar for our coveted players, but has he been any good at convincing any of them to sign a new contract?

Bryan - left in last year, not going to sign an extension 

Reid - left in last year, not going to sign an extension 

Flint - signed but seemingly on the proviso he could go next summer 

Brownhill - left with 18 months left under a rumoured release fee

O’Dowda - signed eventually after a bad injury and after rumoured interest from other teams didn’t seem to materialise (this may be my view rather than fact)

Diedhiou- not signed

Walsh - not signed 

FFP. We had to make the sales we did in summer 2018 especially.

Got the max we could for him, albeit release fee can change that- without it, could we have reinvested further?

I'd have looked a bit harder to sell Diedhiou personally, O'Dowda has his good and bad points- really hope to see Walsh renew.

40 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

FFP. We had to make the sales we did in summer 2018 especially.

Got the max we could for him, albeit release fee can change that- without it, could we have reinvested further?

I'd have looked a bit harder to sell Diedhiou personally, O'Dowda has his good and bad points- really hope to see Walsh renew.

I still wonder if we could’ve got away with selling one, maybe Bryan, out of the 3 in the January window and maybe brought in a loan.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I still wonder if we could’ve got away with selling one, maybe Bryan, out of the 3 in the January window and maybe brought in a loan.

Maybe two rather than 3- Webster replaces Flint and carries the ball in that way he did, maybe Bryan out, Flint out but keep Reid?

Hypothetical reconfigured side below:

Maenpaa

Wright Webster Kalas Kelly

Brownhill Walsh Pack DaSilva

Paterson

Reid

Or as above, but a front 2 of Weimann and Reid if Paterson form not so good...can you imagine the pressing potential!

Smith would of course be in there, but injury ruled him out of much of 2018/19. Baker a more than adequate first reserve and even Pisano could have tucked in from RB at times.

Palmer, Diedhiou and Taylor will all bring different options of course- to say nothing of the (eventually) returning Fielding and Smith.

2 hours ago, steveybadger said:

But harsh blaming Ashton for these players leaving. If we’d have made it to the ‘promised land’ I bet none of them would’ve jumped.

The other side of the coin may be that players wanted out (at least in part) precisely because they did not believe the club was serious about promotion.

2 hours ago, steveybadger said:

But harsh blaming Ashton for these players leaving. If we’d have made it to the ‘promised land’ I bet none of them would’ve jumped.

Absolutely. But we didn’t and it’s still his job to negotiate contract renewals. I’m sure someone will correct me but bar Brownhill around the time of the United game, I can’t remember a new contract for someone that I was delighted/relieved with. 

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

The other side of the coin may be that players wanted out (at least in part) precisely because they did not believe the club was serious about promotion.

I don’t think it would have made much difference. Of the players that left outside of the season Bryan and Reid moved to the Prem and Flint probably got a big pay rise at Boro. And if Brownhill had his buy out clause met then I’m still not sure what we could’ve done about it? Other players at ‘very ambitious’  Championship clubs have moved on when the Prem comes calling - it’s a short career and players want to play at the highest level or get the most cash they can. 

1 hour ago, Dredd said:

Absolutely. But we didn’t and it’s still his job to negotiate contract renewals. I’m sure someone will correct me but bar Brownhill around the time of the United game, I can’t remember a new contract for someone that I was delighted/relieved with. 

Well players will keep their options open if they think potentially a higher level / better offer might be available. They can’t be forced to sign an offer?

7 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Well players will keep their options open if they think potentially a higher level / better offer might be available. They can’t be forced to sign an offer?

Of course. But apparently we can’t convince players that the best place for them is Ashton Gate. That’s concerning, no? We keep hearing Fam loves it here and has a big smile on his face, but we can’t get him to put pen to paper. Walsh’s stock is high at the moment due to superb season last year yet unless we can convince him his development is best served here then he’s gone for nothing in the summer or a paltry sum in January 

10 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

Does anyone have any insight on what's actually going on ?

When these injuries were first reported there was no talk of them being out until anything like Christmas let alone February. 

I remember hearing about them being back after international breaks which was ages ago. 

Not expecting the club to give a running commentary but sounds like something in the process has gone dramatically wrong OR something else is going on (maybe in Walsh's case anyway?)

It would appear that something has been going on that we are not aware of but with everything else going on people's lives I think there are a lot more important issues affecting our lives. Though I do understand the frustrations shown in these posts.

All the best to everyone for 2021.

40 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Of course. But apparently we can’t convince players that the best place for them is Ashton Gate. That’s concerning, no? We keep hearing Fam loves it here and has a big smile on his face, but we can’t get him to put pen to paper. Walsh’s stock is high at the moment due to superb season last year yet unless we can convince him his development is best served here then he’s gone for nothing in the summer or a paltry sum in January 

Well I think both Fam and Walsh are in the driving seat. If both sit tight we’d have to come up with v good offers to match a club wanting a new player that fits their description and without a transfer fee (it doesn’t quite feel the same with a re-signing even if effectively it’s the same) . In Fam’s case I think he knows he’s going and everything from him and the club is PR guff, while with Walsh  if he gets in the team and does well I suspect he may stay (game time has been the issue with him I reckon),but time will tell..

2 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Well I think both Fam and Walsh are in the driving seat. If both sit tight we’d have to come up with v good offers to match a club wanting a new player that fits their description and without a transfer fee (it doesn’t quite feel the same with a re-signing even if effectively it’s the same) . In Fam’s case I think he knows he’s going and everything from him and the club is PR guff, while with Walsh  if he gets in the team and does well I suspect he may stay (game time has been the issue with him I reckon),but time will tell..

I don’t think Fam is holding out for money.  I believe he wants to play at the highest level and has stayed because he wants do it with us.  If we don’t get promotion I suspect he will seek a move to a top division club, in the UK or elsewhere.

I assume Walsh wants to go back to Coventry.

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I don’t think Fam is holding out for money.  I believe he wants to play at the highest level and has stayed because he wants do it with us.  If we don’t get promotion I suspect he will seek a move to a top division club, in the UK or elsewhere.

But they signed Hamer as his replacement.

With regards to Walsh, I think Occams Razor applies here and he is actually injured.

What that means for him signing a new contract i have no idea, but if he was playing regularly then I think he would probably sign it.

We're not the only club that has players coming to the end of their contracts that we would like to keep so its not really a stick to beat the management with. Its when players have the most control over their futures.

Liverpool are having the same issue with Wijnaldum at the moment....and will have the exact same problem in 2 years time when Salahs, Manes and Firminos contracts are in their last years albeit they will all be touching 30 then.

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Good luck with that  !!!!!    

Fam.......Premier League...........hmmmmmmm

Think you need a magician , not an agent 

On 19/12/2020 at 22:45, TomThumb84 said:

Come on now.

Most of us are not as daft as the club would like us to believe.

Wont sign contract, wants to leave, will leave.

OK I see that, but he not played in long time, will this be a career shortening on going injury problem, he has proved his ability at league 1. 

Who is he going to sign for? 

13 hours ago, steveybadger said:

I don’t think it would have made much difference. Of the players that left outside of the season Bryan and Reid moved to the Prem and Flint probably got a big pay rise at Boro. And if Brownhill had his buy out clause met then I’m still not sure what we could’ve done about it? Other players at ‘very ambitious’  Championship clubs have moved on when the Prem comes calling - it’s a short career and players want to play at the highest level or get the most cash they can. 

I think it is almost impossible for any championship club to keep a player if a PL club come in for them.

One factor is the players ambition but the other is money.

I remember reading on here, and it may be in accurate, but Webster’s wages increased by a multiple of 5 - who is going to turn that down in a relatively short career that could be ended by injury at any point.

12 hours ago, steveybadger said:

They are both in the driving seat but probably heading down different roads.

I think Fam is looking for a last big payday, which is not going to be here.

Walsh is probably more about playing time however, his situation does seem odd and there may be more to it.

2 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

I think it is almost impossible for any championship club to keep a player if a PL club come in for them.

One factor is the players ambition but the other is money.

I remember reading on here, and it may be in accurate, but Webster’s wages increased by a multiple of 5 - who is going to turn that down in a relatively short career that could be ended by injury at any point.

Absolutely

22 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’ve made peace with myself and it’s helped a lot. We’re never going to see Liam Walsh in a Bristol City shirt ever again are we?

Oh god that felt good.

He really is going to be “the one that got away”, isn’t he?

Mark loaded up our hook.

He dangled his rod in the brook.

Liam sniffed the bait and took it.

Mark reeled him in and caught him in the net.

Was he ever paraded from the roof? If he was he might have got a good view of all that BS3 has to offer at the moment.

The scales might have fallen from his eyes and he might have seen his captor and the Emperor were naked.

**** that he said. I’m out of here.....

Yep. Another in the long line of potentially good signings that swam away.....

29 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’ve made peace with myself and it’s helped a lot. We’re never going to see Liam Walsh in a Bristol City shirt ever again are we?

Oh god that felt good.

No and no me thinks

43 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Oh god that felt good.

How are you going to cope with the thought that there will soon be more pricks at Ashton Gate than the gas have ever had?

Archived