IGNORED

Liam Walsh (Merged)

Bassomylord

27 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I know he's been injured he was player of the season last year for a team that got promoted from League One. Obviously time will tell if he can cut it in the Championship but the idea that a player who stood out in League One last year won't do better than League Two seems a bit of a strange argument. 

The effect of Covid will change football in many ways at all levels. The money is just not sloshing around as many think and won't be for a long time. He hasn't kicked a football in anger so far this season so very well could be a risk too far for many.

20 minutes ago, BigTone said:

The effect of Covid will change football in many ways at all levels. The money is just not sloshing around as many think and won't be for a long time to come especially as he hasn't kicked a football in anger so far this season.

Whilst I don't disagree with any of that, I think the effect will be slightly different to what you perceive. There will be a lot of Championship and  League One clubs with players out of contract at the end of the season and I suspect they will likely in many cases let those players go and attempt to recruit better players on lower wages. I agree the money is not sloshing around and players will need to accept the contract they get offered this summer will not be the contract they would have expected 18 months ago but I still think a player like Walsh will be offered a contract by (at least) League One clubs rather than players of a lower quality getting their contracts renewed.

Realistically I think his best move may be to sign a new deal if one is on the table and prove himself here but I think he will get League One (and maybe even Championship) offers if he leaves, just not at the value he would've commanded without COVID. 

11 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Whilst I don't disagree with any of that, I think the effect will be slightly different to what you perceive. There will be a lot of Championship and  League One clubs with players out of contract at the end of the season and I suspect they will likely in many cases let those players go and attempt to recruit better players on lower wages. I agree the money is not sloshing around and players will need to accept the contract they get offered this summer will not be the contract they would have expected 18 months ago but I still think a player like Walsh will be offered a contract by (at least) League One clubs rather than players of a lower quality getting their contracts renewed.

Realistically I think his best move may be to sign a new deal if one is on the table and prove himself here but I think he will get League One (and maybe even Championship) offers if he leaves, just not at the value he would've commanded without COVID. 

Quite possible I agree but if he hasn't signed a new contract on what we are offering (assuming we have made an offer as DH suggests) then he is taking a risk. The whole covid scenario has taken a big twist in a matter of days. I honestly think that we will see many clubs go to the wall very soon and the whole face of English football is going to change very soon. That makes options for average players like Walsh somewhat limited.

21 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

How on earth would a league 2 club afford his wages, particularly now they have a salary cap ?

Not saying a League 2 club will afford his wages BUT it is inevitable that player wages will go in a significantly Southerly direction for quite some time. Players won’t be paid £15K a week to be bang average at Championship level any more. On the subject of League 2 I could see some clubs going part time for a spell. Two seasons without income is going to kill them and the picture won’t be much better higher up the chain either.

If people think BCFC are going to spend significant sums on incoming over the next few seasons you have to question where they’ve been for the last 10 months.

15 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Quite possible I agree but if he hasn't signed a new contract on what we are offering (assuming we have made an offer as DH suggests) then he is taking a risk. The whole covid scenario has taken a big twist in a matter of days. I honestly think that we will see many clubs go to the wall very soon and the whole face of English football is going to change very soon. That makes options for average players like Walsh somewhat limited.

So bloody obvious imo but people are talking like nothing has changed....

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

I am keeping up but nothing is moving forward. If he is so good then our contract offer would have reflected this. Remember with the current pandemic clubs are not out waving chequebooks with promises of untold riches so his options are somewhat limited.

Do keep up.

He will leave as a free agent in the summer is my guess and end up playing L2 at best assuming that Covid is under control (which it won't) and someone will take a punt on him.

Do you think players who are POTY in League 1 winning teams would end up in League 2 a season later? 

If we don’t sign him he will be at Coventry or another Championship club.

14 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Do you think players who are POTY in League 1 winning teams would end up in League 2 a season later? 

If we don’t sign him he will be at Coventry or another Championship club.

I'm not convinced

Archived