IGNORED

One Voice Singing in the Darkness

Abraham Romanovich

”All this tippy-tappy stuff – everybody keeps on going about the right way to play football – is all a load of b******s sometimes. Getting the ball into the opposition box as quickly as you can with quality is definitely sometimes the best way forward" - Big Sam Allardyce

Football seems so dull and sterile these days coaches seem obsessed with patterns of play and statistics it has become like a game of chess minimising  risk, taken to the natural conclusion someone will write an AI programme and make coaches obsolete

How I miss the era when players would charge about for 90 min, the preferred diet was steak and chips and the pre-game prep was to lay off the beer for a night.

14 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

”All this tippy-tappy stuff – everybody keeps on going about the right way to play football – is all a load of b******s sometimes. Getting the ball into the opposition box as quickly as you can with quality is definitely sometimes the best way forward" - Big Sam Allardyce

Football seems so dull and sterile these days coaches seem obsessed with patterns of play and statistics it has become like a game of chess minimising  risk, taken to the natural conclusion someone will write an AI programme and make coaches obsolete

How I miss the era when players would charge about for 90 min, the preferred diet was steak and chips and the pre-game prep was to lay off the beer for a night.

Oddly, I’d only just been lamenting to my son the absence of gratuitous violence in the game when I read this post, reminiscing fondly about Mark Aizlewood getting sent off for a head butt in front of the Dolman stand.  And a head butt was a head butt in those days, none of this pressing your forehead against your opponent and moving it about a bit.  It was a real Glasgow kiss.

22 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I seriously don’t see why we can’t have the best of both worlds? Let’s keep the nutritionists and the conditioning coaches, I like to see elite athletes playing the game.

But let us go back to more direct football played with pace and physicality (without hearing the ref’s whistle every time someone attempts a hint of a tackle) and wingers crossing from the by-line. Jumpers for goalposts, etc...

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Couldn't agree more; to repeat part of what I said on a recent thread:

'Bloody hell, City have been so boring these last few years 

Give me some fast paced attacking football to get up and shout about at Ashton Gate, far more important to me than which division we're in.

Stick your tippy tappy, sideways passing, F-all happening, and meaningless 'possession' stats where the sun don't shine.

How could any parent enthuse their child to watch this seemingly never ending tedious b******s?'

This was on a thread called 'Empty Ashton Gate' referring to the effect of having no crowds in the ground.

It may be empty for another reason in a few years if the trend for soul destroying unadventurous football isn't usurped by something far more exciting and enjoyable to watch.

could you imagine in this day and age, Norman hunter, Gerry gow glen Humphries, souness,jimmy case, terry hurlock,vinny jones and many more i could  name they would never be on the bloody pitch, football has turned into a tippy tappy wet lettuce game,i never thought i would see  any city players dangling legs in challenges and backing out of 50/50 but we have seen a few in the last few weeks,the game i love so much has been spoilt by overpaid pansy's with nice hairstyles

1 hour ago, City Rocker said:

I seriously don’t see why we can’t have the best of both worlds? Let’s keep the nutritionists and the conditioning coaches, I like to see elite athletes playing the game.

But let us go back to more direct football played with pace and physicality (without hearing the ref’s whistle every time someone attempts a hint of a tackle) and wingers crossing from the by-line. Jumpers for goalposts, etc...

Just imagining the new Ashton gate with jumpers as goal posts ??

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Oddly, I’d only just been lamenting to my son the absence of gratuitous violence in the game when I read this post, reminiscing fondly about Mark Aizlewood getting sent off for a head butt in front of the Dolman stand.  And a head butt was a head butt in those days, none of this pressing your forehead against your opponent and moving it about a bit.  It was a real Glasgow kiss.

I remember Aizlewood bisecting Trevor Francis at Hillsborough.

4 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Sums the bloke up

A thug , and someone who was toxic , and not good to have around

Aizlewood was a pussycat compared to the City/Rovers clashes between Peacock and Pitt - now we are talking.  Never met Peacock but Pitt coached at my school whilst with Rovers - a very nice kind bloke., guess Peacock was as well.

Worth remembering that our cleanest player ever was also our best player ever - Gentleman John

5 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

The only times I am up off my seat at AG nowadays (pre lockdown) is to shout " youre going the wrong way"

4 hours ago, big dosser said:

could you imagine in this day and age, Norman hunter, Gerry gow glen Humphries, souness,jimmy case, terry hurlock,vinny jones and many more i could  name they would never be on the bloody pitch, football has turned into a tippy tappy wet lettuce game,i never thought i would see  any city players dangling legs in challenges and backing out of 50/50 but we have seen a few in the last few weeks,the game i love so much has been spoilt by overpaid pansy's with nice hairstyles

Gow wasn't a pansy but he had the weekly perm!

Most comments on the excellent thread, well done again Mike (@Abraham Romanovich) are in line with my thoughts.

All my life I have supported during the great and glorious times and in the dark days of seven relegations. But I always wanted to go, home and away. I hoped to be able to be there til the day I dropped. Covid has added a dimension that I never considered by keeping me at home. However, it is the way the game has gone for most clubs with dire, boring, non adventurous sideways and backwards tactics.

And we had a gigantic dose of it from Johnson. I did not expect the same from Holden after his first interview after appointment. Nearly three years of negative, frightened football. Do I come back after vaccination? Or save the money and walk on the beach?

4 hours ago, big dosser said:

I can imagine Norman Hunter, Gerry Gow, Graham’ Souness, etc playing today as, apart from their aggression, they were skilful players. They would adapt the way they play to suit today’s conditions. Not too sure about Vinny Jones 

5 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Couldn't agree more; to repeat part of what I said on a recent thread:

'Bloody hell, City have been so boring these last few years 

Give me some fast paced attacking football to get up and shout about at Ashton Gate, far more important to me than which division we're in.

Stick your tippy tappy, sideways passing, F-all happening, and meaningless 'possession' stats where the sun don't shine.

How could any parent enthuse their child to watch this seemingly never ending tedious b******s?'

This was on a thread called 'Empty Ashton Gate' referring to the effect of having no crowds in the ground.

It may be empty for another reason in a few years if the trend for soul destroying unadventurous football isn't usurped by something far more exciting and enjoyable to watch.

It's worse than that!

If we're talking about 2 and a half season, but especially last and the last 10 games of this, at least that possession that you criticise can bring about some control or at minimum security- 'stability'.

Except we have had the worst of all worlds!

Shots. Relatively low, Shots conceded,  higher.

Possession- Less than 50%

Shots on Target, not that many. Shots on Target conceded, more than we have!

In summary then:

Shot dominance? No.

Security and Stability? No.

Comfort blanket that can be provided by strong and consistent possession? No.

Has our football had any notable redeeming features?

Archived