IGNORED

This makes grim reading...

spudski

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I think very few sides are set up to high press, Barnsley are one though.  Most teams are setting up to press from halfway line.  Too much energy being expelled from gegen-press...especially if you’re bad at it.

I don't think many teams have the full on Klopp style geggan press. But many have tried to press us high up the field. M a NY do do it badly, and when we play with 5 (particularly when we were fully fit + everyone was available) we passed around it quite easily. Lots of chasing  while we had to many players there for it to be effective - especially as Bentley is so comfortable on the ball too. 

All of this points to our inability to control a game. And where do teams usually control a game? Where do chances usually start? Where would you want to snuff out opposition play? The answer is the middle of the pitch, which yet again highlights our biggest problem - the midfield. So frustrating and so obvious to many of us, but something that seems beyond our various coaches to solve.

4 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

All of this points to our inability to control a game. And where do teams usually control a game? Where do chances usually start? Where would you want to snuff out opposition play? The answer is the middle of the pitch, which yet again highlights our biggest problem - the midfield. So frustrating and so obvious to many of us, but something that seems beyond our various coaches to solve.

To be fair I think Williams was signed in the hope of helping us control that midfield, perhaps Walsh as well. Those injuries have no doubt stopped the staff from implementing their Plan A, but it's evident that Plan B is pretty useless. 

7 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

We have not been relegated in that time.  So not see a problem. Yes the football could be better but it is what it is. We are only a big club in Bristol. 

I really think you are expecting too much 

Oh I do hate that so much, dream big and you have a chance of achieving something, think small and that's what we'll remain...

12 minutes ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

Oh I do hate that so much, dream big and you have a chance of achieving something, think small and that's what we'll remain...

Aim for “safe mediocrity” and there is a large possibility that you won’t even achieve that. As a club we are serial underachievers. Not very palatable but the truth.

7 hours ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

Yes I can agree with your not likening that scrumps. But as we are now just part of SL Bristol sport set up. Bristol City will never come first to the owner. We are just a piece in his money making enterprises. And I am in now way criticising SL. It's just the way it seems to me

Bristol City do not own or control it's own destiny any more  

3 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I see the knives are out everywhere. 

This forum astounds me at times, it really does. 

New Manager ...cheapest non-exp manager available....see nothing to get excited about there

Covid hit season.....no excuse same for everyone

Injury hit season....no excuse same for everyone

9th 9 points off Auto, having hit a poor run of form. ...and 11 from relegation if Derby win game in hand

Not exactly doom and gloom...seen quite a few games, more than normal, seen nothing to get excited about for rest of season ahead, quite the opposite.

Re long shots, afaik teams knackering themselves out trying to break down the defence and getting frustrated seems to work. 

Preston had naff all other than a jammy pen. 

I do wonder if I'm watching same games as everyone else... 

We seem to lack drive, ambition and leadership as a club, as SL seems distracted by empire building. Its not the same now as when we used to go, we are now just part of something else......sorry just my opinion.

• Admin
8 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Fair does. I'm not concerned at the moment, mind I am happy seeing where the next evolution goes, rather than trying to 'will ourselves' into the Prem, where we will end up getting whipped. 

I am not driven by a desire to join the the Premier League circus, but I do want to enjoy the games and those that I have enjoyed have been few and far between.

I’m not massively fussed about the premiership either, but it would be good to see us playing some decent football where we can at least put attacks together and make some chances.  Being rolled over by teams like Rotherham and Millwall and not even mustering a decent chance in either game is depressing.  

I didn’t see how we played at Preston but I’m hoping it was better that the previous two., even though we lost.  There’s hoping to play exciting attacking football, settling for cohesion and coherence with a bit of decent possession and some goals, and barely scraping by with a minimum standard of just giving other teams a competitive game.  We’re struggling to even do the bare minimum at the moment.  Even with the injuries we have a reasonably good side - come on DH and coaches, get them organised, motivated, confident so that there is something to shout about now that we’re getting back to the Gate.  

On 20/12/2020 at 14:12, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

(Bentley)

Sessegnon Mawson Baker Dasilva

Williams Brunt

Weimann Walsh Paterson

(Diedhiou)

Decent team, that.

Or you could say

Sessegnon - was only brought in as back up and did not show much before his injury

Mawson - big loss, looked good and seems to work better with Moore / Vyner than kallas

Baker - only likely to play Mawson or Baker

Dasilva - not up to it this season even having to be replaced by Rowe when being ripped apart

Williams - Never played for us, but looked a good signing, but do not know if any better than what we have

Brunt - f--cking awful

Weimann - heavily criticised on here for running around a lot (although I like his effort)

Walsh - Good in a dominant L1 side, plenty of players have not made the step up

Paterson - blows hot or anonymous

Diedhiou - being left on the bench even when a f-cked Martin is playing

But what we have lost is options and chance to rotate tired players, half of the injured players were signed by Holden

Archived