IGNORED

Moving past Christmas being a shitshow this year, what are your favourite carols?

LondonBristolian

Yes, this year's a bit of a disaster but I thought I'd try to be festive. So, if you had to pick your five favourite carols, what would they be?

For me (in no particular order)

1. In the Bleak Midwinter (absolutely not the US version of the tune...)

2. O Little Town of Bethlehem

3. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

4. O Holy Night

5. Carol of the Bells

On 20/12/2020 at 17:35, LondonBristolian said:

Yes, this year's a bit of a disaster but I thought I'd try to be festive. So, if you had to pick your five favourite carols, what would they be?

For me (in no particular order)

2. O Little Town of Bethlehem

3. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

4. O Holy Night

5. Carol of the Bells

Sussex carol. Wexford carol. The Holly & The Ivy. 

O Holy Night is stunning, hairs-on-the-back-of-the-neck beautiful. Like S82 when we go a goal behind.

In The Bleak Midwinter, love that too. Not familiar with the US version.

On 20/12/2020 at 17:35, LondonBristolian said:

I only know of two versions of ‘In the Bleak Midwinter’.  The more familiar one has music by Gustav Holst, he of The Planets, who despite his name was born in Cheltenham.  The other, more usually sung by choirs, has music by Harold Darke, a lesser-known composer and organist, but entirely British - actually born in Clifton in 1888!  The carol therefore has a very strong connection to our part of the world.  I marginally prefer the Harold Darke setting, but in many ways the settings are surprisingly similar.

Is there another (American) version?

14 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I only know of two versions of ‘In the Bleak Midwinter’.  The more familiar one has music by Gustav Holst, he of The Planets, who despite his name was born in Cheltenham.  The other, more usually sung by choirs, has music by Harold Darke, a lesser-known composer and organist, but entirely British - actually born in Clifton in 1888!  The carol therefore has a very strong connection to our part of the world.  I marginally prefer the Harold Darke setting, but in many ways the settings are surprisingly similar.

Wow - there you go. I've actually learned something. I'd always thought the Darke version was American (I think I first heard it being done by a US Jazz Choir) and resented it because I was really looking forward to it on the programme of carols and it wasn't the Holst version I expected so I probably never gave it a fair chance as a result. Feel a bit bad now knowing it was a by Bristolian! 

Weirdly I've just remembered that the place I heard said jazz version was Southwark Cathedral and said carol concert had a guest speech by the then Mayor of London, who is our now not terribly popular prime minister...

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Wow - there you go. I've actually learned something. I'd always thought the Darke version was American (I think I first heard it being done by a US Jazz Choir) and resented it because I was really looking forward to it on the programme of carols and it wasn't the Holst version I expected so I probably never gave it a fair chance as a result. Feel a bit bad now knowing it was a by Bristolian! 

Weirdly I've just remembered that the place I heard said jazz version was Southwark Cathedral and said carol concert had a guest speech by the then Mayor of London, who is our now not terribly popular prime minister...

If you like jazz versions, try this

BTW it's Holst all the way for me .

On 21/12/2020 at 21:40, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I only know of two versions of ‘In the Bleak Midwinter’.  The more familiar one has music by Gustav Holst, he of The Planets, who despite his name was born in Cheltenham.  The other, more usually sung by choirs, has music by Harold Darke, a lesser-known composer and organist, but entirely British - actually born in Clifton in 1888!  The carol therefore has a very strong connection to our part of the world.  I marginally prefer the Harold Darke setting, but in many ways the settings are surprisingly similar.

I used to live just up the road from his birthplace (now a museum)

On 21/12/2020 at 21:40, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

This is a bit late in the day and I know it's not quite what you're referring to by 'versions, but this is rather nice...

Archived