IGNORED

MUFC v LUFC

Gillies Downs Leeds

Would rather watch that every week, than the turgid stuff we get dished out most weeks.

Fair play to Bielsa...he allows both teams to play, and never stops going for it, regardless of score.

Football has lost its way..man's we as fans have fallen into it as well.

It is an Entertainment...something that we should enjoy, win or lose.

If it's a good watch and you've been entertained and your team has tried it's best...at least it puts a smile on your face.

Watching boring turgid football...what's the point? It actually makes you depressed. 

Wow! Must admit I always enjoy watching Leeds these days - certainly no more the cynical bunch that I remember from my youth in Yorkshire. Oh, how I hated Revie's Leeds.

Ayling definitely found the right manager. A better version of the player we had, but still rampaging forward and leaving huge gaps at the back. 

They'll need to tighten up a lot to get anywhere though...

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Plays pretty much the same team week in/out, they are still sprinting at 90 mins. Their desire whether wining or losing is immense .

Not wanting to turn this into a moaning thread but when you see the same 11 sprinting around like that and some making excuses that our players that have hardly moved in the last 3 games are fatigued something doesn't seem right. 

14 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Not wanting to turn this into a moaning thread but when you see the same 11 sprinting around like that and some making excuses that our players that have hardly moved in the last 3 games are fatigued something doesn't seem right. 

That has crossed my mind.
TBF going back, his previous teams flagged later on in the season apparently. Even Leeds did to an extent first year. I wonder if the enforced break helped them over the line last season.

They are great to watch though.

Just now, 1960maaan said:

TBF going back, his previous teams flagged later on in the season apparently. Even Leeds did to an extent first year. I wonder if the enforced break helped them over the line last season.

The running out of steam thing is a phallacy Mike

The physical performance stats at the end of the previous ‘normal’ season showed the players were running etc further at the end of the season than they were at start or midway 

• Admin
2 hours ago, spudski said:

Would rather watch that every week, than the turgid stuff we get dished out most weeks.

Fair play to Bielsa...he allows both teams to play, and never stops going for it, regardless of score.

If it's a good watch and you've been entertained and your team has tried it's best...at least it puts a smile on your face.

Watching boring turgid football...what's the point? It actually makes you depressed. 

I know more and more people who are losing interest in football, mostly because it doesn’t offer the excitement it used to.  If I wanted to see an intricate tactical battle played in a small area, I’d watch Chess.

5 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

The running out of steam thing is a phallacy Mike

The physical performance stats at the end of the previous ‘normal’ season showed the players were running etc further at the end of the season than they were at start or midway 

Fair enough, maybe a drop of intensity?

I saw a program about him, and they said that the late season dip had happened before. They put it down to the high intensity press style he liked, and the fact he didn't like rotating. It could just be coincidence, but it's an easy premise to accept . They do work bloody hard.

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

As i said to my mate - if city had just lost 6-2 to Rovers I’d want to burn Holdens house down, i wouldn’t give a monkeys how we had played ??

I get your point but Leeds fans need to be realistic. 

3 hours ago, spudski said:

Wish Dean would read this post out loud in the dressing room. This is what football should be for the fans. Entertainment.

1 hour ago, City_USA said:

Wish Dean would read this post out loud in the dressing room. This is what football should be for the fans. Entertainment.

Fans want entertainment. Owners want results.The holy grail for coaches and managers is to achieve both. At present DH can’t achieve either...

I think the virus and not going to games has been a big wake up call to many fans.

It's not the football we miss...but the ritual of doing something that became the norm. We miss the match day buzz, meeting mates and having a few beers and a laugh.

That is more important and more enjoyable than the actual game more often than not.

Going to watch non league, having a few beers with mates has been just as enjoyable.

I can't remember the last time I watched City and came away buzzing from the match itself.

Unless you are really into modern football, with all its coaching, technology, patterns of play etc, etc,etc...all you really want, is to be entertained and enjoy watching a game of football and come away feeling good regardless of result.

It's bloody depressing watching City ATM...and has been for a few years. Tbh...it's depressing watching most games of football. It's boring. It's what goes with the game that's more entertaining.

Football should be entertaining...not a ritual.

On 20/12/2020 at 21:37, 1960maaan said:

I’m afraid you are swallowing the “expert pundit” lines here, which means PL fans also think this.

Before the enforced break we had won 5 in a row without conceding a goal, the break came at exactly the wrong time for us tbh.

People mention our defence, last season we had the second best defence the championship has seen for the past 9 seasons.

We are without our two new CBs which means Ayling is played at CB, this hugely stifles our play, it also means Alioski comes in at LB and he isn’t good enough for the PL.

Only a few idiot “fans” that called TalkShi** talked about sacking Bielsa!!! The entire club is behind him.

All we need is to stay up, start next season with our new CBs and 3-4 new signings, then we’ll really be in the mix for top 8/9 imo.

9 players started on Sunday that were in the Championship last year, the entire starting 11 cost about the same as Fred!

The vast majority of us are very realistic, we will get destroyed sometimes, sometimes we’ll do the destroying, but would we rather finish 15th - 17th playing like that or like Burnley......

Even in defeat to THEM I had a smile on my face, that doesn’t mean I’m not a “proper fa it means I’m realistic, enjoying the ride and sometimes the football means more than the result in games you aren’t expected to do well in.

?

Just now, SPAZZA said:

I’m afraid you are swallowing the “expert pundit” lines here, which means PL fans also think this.

Before the enforced break we had won 5 in a row without conceding a goal, the break came at exactly the wrong time for us tbh.

People mention our defence, last season we had the second best defence the championship has seen for the past 9 seasons.

We are without our two new CBs which means Ayling is played at CB, this hugely stifles our play, it also means Alioski comes in at LB and he isn’t good enough for the PL.

Only a few idiot “fans” that called TalkShi** talked about sacking Bielsa!!! The entire club is behind him.

All we need is to stay up, start next season with our new CBs and 3-4 new signings, then we’ll really be in the mix for top 8/9 imo.

9 players started on Sunday that were in the Championship last year, the entire starting 11 cost about the same as Fred!

The vast majority of us are very realistic, we will get destroyed sometimes, sometimes we’ll do the destroying, but would we rather finish 15th - 17th playing like that or like Burnley......

Even in defeat to THEM I had a smile on my face, that doesn’t mean I’m not a “proper fa it means I’m realistic, enjoying the ride and sometimes the football means more than the result in games you aren’t expected to do well in.

?

Good for you Spazza

The most entertaining side to watch in the country by some distance

The job Bielsa has done , the performance levels and reaction he has got from a smallish squad of players is in all honesty , remarkable and kills the numerous excuses that underperforming coaches trot out

You can pick any player but Bamford , for example - a player drifting around in Championship , often not demanding a starting place at Clubs and Bielsa has him scoring in the premier league but noticeably working twice as hard as I’ve seen him at any other Club with a massive improvement in his all round game

I’d be absolutely thrilled if I was a Leeds fan , watching the football and entertainment over the last 2/3 years 

Envious !!

16 minutes ago, SPAZZA said:

?

Fair enough, you obviously know more than me. I did see a few things on him and style of play, including some foreign pundits, but I know what you mean about "experts pundit" . Sadly that's what I had to go on.
I was confident you would do ok this year, I really enjoy watching Leeds and I can't say that about many other Prem sides. I thought the way you play would see you comfortably mid table, but I didn't think Bamford was good enough , shows what I know ?.

25 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Fair enough, you obviously know more than me. I did see a few things on him and style of play, including some foreign pundits, but I know what you mean about "experts pundit" . Sadly that's what I had to go on.
I was confident you would do ok this year, I really enjoy watching Leeds and I can't say that about many other Prem sides. I thought the way you play would see you comfortably mid table, but I didn't think Bamford was good enough , shows what I know ?.

In a sense..he isn’t good enough. He is performing above his level of ability which is why he still misses chances, if we are to progress then all niceties aside he shouldn’t start.

But we all know that, when he was one on one with De Gea I actually expected him to score because he has built up credit this year, but then I realised that was probably the first time I’ve ever thought he’d score a 1v1 purely on the basis he scored from the same place against Fulham a few months back.

The system can only do so much and although it appears to have turned Championship level players into a PL side we are still hamstrung by their “base ability” which is why they are making mistakes that get punished more and get into great positions but don’t finish.

I was keeping an eye on you guys but it seems your slump has happened much earlier in the year than usual?!?!

1 hour ago, SPAZZA said:

In a sense..he isn’t good enough. He is performing above his level of ability which is why he still misses chances, if we are to progress then all niceties aside he shouldn’t start.

But we all know that, when he was one on one with De Gea I actually expected him to score because he has built up credit this year, but then I realised that was probably the first time I’ve ever thought he’d score a 1v1 purely on the basis he scored from the same place against Fulham a few months back.

The system can only do so much and although it appears to have turned Championship level players into a PL side we are still hamstrung by their “base ability” which is why they are making mistakes that get punished more and get into great positions but don’t finish.

I was keeping an eye on you guys but it seems your slump has happened much earlier in the year than usual?!?!

Your team and work ethic is brilliant, seeing players sprinting and working in the 90th minute with the game well over is great to see. I think you're certain to be safe very early, which should give you time to work out what you need add some quality. From what I've seen, apart from being a bit open against ManYoo, you have created chances against the best, which always stands you in good stead. 

As for us, while it is massively disappointing football, for the last game we had a full 2 - 11 out. That includes the two midfielders that Dean Holden had planned to start and 2 starting centre backs. That doesn't excuse the performances of the last 3 games, but explains not seemingly having a set plan or pattern. Players are rumoured to be coming back through January, I hope this means a pick up in form, but who knows.

Footballing sides wise, Brentford of last season were great too- and I think they would have been a worthy addition to PL- go up, add some first XI and some depth players, don't sell anyone key, think they would have been a better addition than on balance, Fulham and West Brom have been.

Leeds are great fun to watch- as a neutral.

@SPAZZA  I've said it before, with respect to your side- unsure the balance is entirely right. Ayling at CB you can lose something, but if Forshaw fit- for certain games I'd suggest a Forshaw-Phillips-Klich 3- maybe 4-1-4-1 midfield structure, with Phillips as the '1' and then Klich and Forshaw as the '2' in front or Phillips and Forshaw as the '2' and Klich central of the '3' in a 4-2-3-1- tactically I think it'd enable similar possession or strong possession anyway, and a bit more security. Like you, we suffer with quite a few injuries, as outlined by @1960maaan .

34 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Leeds showed last season that you can play the high press all season.

A lot of our fans said we tired in 17/18, but I thought that was a poor excuse. I think we simply were not good enough and after Villa thrashing teams saw a way to beat us. We had weaknesses in the side.

I think its great that Leeds are having a go. It would be nice if we could go back to doing that at this level! Go for the win every game. None of this negative nonsense. Bournemouth first half is exactly the kind of thing I want to see. We went toe to toe with them at their place and could have scored 5 times in that first half.

I don't know if tactically that was perfect. The shape, the team sheet etc. But it was the right intent. We lost but it was a far more satisfying loss than Millwall!

How do you get promoted from this league? Keep it tight at 0-0 and maybe score on the break or set piece and try to see out the game, relying on a bit of luck as we defend for our lives to keep it 1-0 like Cardiff away. Playing the percentages. It can work, but if we can try and be a footballing side who teams can't deal with then that would be better to watch, and might actually be more effective in getting results.

Agree, Bournemouth away was good. First half certainly- Norwich at home too though not quite on that level, we certainly had (and missed) some good chances, what let us down was the soft nature of goals 1 and 2, and the crucial times- start of the game and then right on halftime, awful times to concede.

We changed shape and intent in 2017/18. We saw it in flashes post Wolves and the Manchester City games, but only in flashes. Notably:

1. Norwich at home- we lost but we dominated.
  2. QPR home 11 v 11- think we were fairly dominant? Certainly saw a live in-game stat of 65-70% possession! Once Baker went, we had to shift.
  3. Bolton away- Lost but dominated some numbers, but less so than Norwich.
  4. Sunderland home first half- less said about the 2nd the better!
  5. Leeds away first half- draw there acceptable, but shame how it turned.
  6. Sheffield Wednesday at home- First half in particular.

That's about it though, really!

Our tactical shape and ethos changed too- once players returned, gone was the:

Fielding

Wright Flint Baker Magnússon

Brownhill Pack Smith Bryan

Paterson

Reid

Put Diedhiou in there, put Pisano in there, put Bryan back to LB and we lose something tactically- we absolutely lose something. Put Eliasson in there and again, you lose something. This isn't a slight or a judgement on their ability or otherwise, this is a belief that the tactical shape changes significantly with them in the side or in those positions.

. Orthodox RB ie Pisano, can't tuck in so well, Diedhiou won't press like Reid, Weimann won't play like Paterson, Bryan won't tuck in like Magnússon could, Eliasson won't have the advantage of able to attack and defend so much like Bryan could- though I think he (Bryan) was better going forward. Well maybe not entirely, but more like better suited to LM/LWB than traditional LB.

We couldn't quite replicate it in 2018/19 after the departures of Flint, Bryan, Reid, Magnússon and the injury to Smith though I suppose the closest equivalent style wise might have been- IIRC Fielding was injured too.

Maenpaa

Wright Kalas Webster Kelly

Brownhill Pack Walsh DaSilva

Paterson

Weimann

That feels like the closest equivalent from that season squad wise. Clearly Smith would be in there but as above, significant injuries? Think Fielding was out for months too.

Archived