IGNORED

MUFC v LUFC

Gillies Downs Leeds

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Footballing sides wise, Brentford of last season were great too- and I think they would have been a worthy addition to PL- go up, add some first XI and some depth players, don't sell anyone key, think they would have been a better addition than on balance, Fulham and West Brom have been.

Leeds are great fun to watch- as a neutral.

@SPAZZA  I've said it before, with respect to your side- unsure the balance is entirely right. Ayling at CB you can lose something, but if Forshaw fit- for certain games I'd suggest a Forshaw-Phillips-Klich 3- maybe 4-1-4-1 midfield structure, with Phillips as the '1' and then Klich and Forshaw as the '2' in front or Phillips and Forshaw as the '2' and Klich central of the '3' in a 4-2-3-1- tactically I think it'd enable similar possession or strong possession anyway, and a bit more security. Like you, we suffer with quite a few injuries, as outlined by @1960maaan .

Agree, Bournemouth away was good. First half certainly- Norwich at home too though not quite on that level, we certainly had (and missed) some good chances, what let us down was the soft nature of goals 1 and 2, and the crucial times- start of the game and then right on halftime, awful times to concede.

We changed shape and intent in 2017/18. We saw it in flashes post Wolves and the Manchester City games, but only in flashes. Notably:

1. Norwich at home- we lost but we dominated.
  2. QPR home 11 v 11- think we were fairly dominant? Certainly saw a live in-game stat of 65-70% possession! Once Baker went, we had to shift.
  3. Bolton away- Lost but dominated some numbers, but less so than Norwich.
  4. Sunderland home first half- less said about the 2nd the better!
  5. Leeds away first half- draw there acceptable, but shame how it turned.
  6. Sheffield Wednesday at home- First half in particular.

That's about it though, really!

Our tactical shape and ethos changed too- once players returned, gone was the:

Fielding

Wright Flint Baker Magnússon

Brownhill Pack Smith Bryan

Paterson

Reid

Put Diedhiou in there, put Pisano in there, put Bryan back to LB and we lose something tactically- we absolutely lose something. Put Eliasson in there and again, you lose something. This isn't a slight or a judgement on their ability or otherwise, this is a belief that the tactical shape changes significantly with them in the side or in those positions.

. Orthodox RB ie Pisano, can't tuck in so well, Diedhiou won't press like Reid, Weimann won't play like Paterson, Bryan won't tuck in like Magnússon could, Eliasson won't have the advantage of able to attack and defend so much like Bryan could- though I think he (Bryan) was better going forward. Well maybe not entirely, but more like better suited to LM/LWB than traditional LB.

We couldn't quite replicate it in 2018/19 after the departures of Flint, Bryan, Reid, Magnússon and the injury to Smith though I suppose the closest equivalent style wise might have been- IIRC Fielding was injured too.

Maenpaa

Wright Kalas Webster Kelly

Brownhill Pack Walsh DaSilva

Paterson

Weimann

That feels like the closest equivalent from that season squad wise. Clearly Smith would be in there but as above, significant injuries? Think Fielding was out for months too.

Ayling is only at CB because our two best CBs are injured.

He has been a PL revelation at RB, astounding player!

When he is at RB the balance on that side is glorious, we just need to sign a genuine left footed LB next year and defence for me is sorted.

Archived