IGNORED

Who would you recall?

Berkshire Red

If you're Dean Holden, who would you be looking to recall and what formation changes would you be looking to go with in the New Year.

Personally I'm torn between writing this season off all together and giving the young guns a shot, and recalling Watkins (albeit injured too) and Palmer and trying to add a bit of muscle or creativity

It seems our default to going behind at the moment is to just chisel strikers into the team and hope they produce goals with no real game plan.

As no strikers are in form at the moment and given the current injury list, I'd like to try something like below. May get overrun in midfield, but at least there is some creativity in there. Possibly swap O'Dowda put wide for Watkins and put massengo or Bakinson in the centre

Bentley

Hunt - Kalas - Vyner - Rowe

Pato - Nagy - O'Dowda - Watkins

Palmer

Fam

I’d see whether Swansea had any interest in buying Palmer first, assuming not, I’d recall him.

I’d bring back Pring, as Dasilva looks like he will be out for a while, so Rowe needs LB competition/cover.

I’d recall James Morton from Grimsby, Holloway has 7 loan players & can only use 5, meaning he hasn’t featured there in a month. He can’t go on loan elsewhere (3 club rule) but may as well be in contention for a place on our bench as opposed to sat in the stand at Grimsby.

Depending on what happened with Palmer I’d consider recalling one of Adelakun or Jonny Smith.

We have been fielding a bench with between 4 & 6 players who have never started a league game at any level of late, we cannot rely on waiting until some of the LT injured return so need to bring back a minimum of 3, possibly 4.

I am sure the OP has posted this with regards to Kasey Palmer. He’s not currently getting games at Swansea and I can’t see them meeting our asking price for him, so it does seem a pretty obvious move to recall him, especially as there is no sign of Paterson returning and we can’t be reliant on just one creative midfielder.

And yes it would require a change in formation up front to accommodate him without losing players in midfield but I don’t see that as a bad thing as Wells actually scored most of his goals at QPR last season as a lone striker with a creative player (Eze) behind him. That said Eze is thriving at Palace this season and probably a significant cut above KP.

I’m not sure what the deal is with loans. Can City recall them at anytime or is it only during the window?

If Morton can’t get into Grimsby starting 11 I imagine there’s not point in recalling him.

Smith has been doing pretty well at Swindon so he could be a recall option.

Personally don’t think Palmer is the answer. 

Pring, yes, if they know Jay is longer term.

That’s it for me and for once I think throwing money at the problem in January is a dangerous plan. I’d honestly be a little concerned if we bloat the squad.

We’ve still 4 quality forwards.

Pato, COD and Walsh (by next year) for the AM space.

Nagy, Bakinson, Massengo, Williams (by next year) for 2 CM.

CB we’ve got enough when Baker is back and definitely when/if Mawson returns.

Maybe a RB if Edwards isn’t ready and Sess is a while off.

I’d rather we write off this season if it looks that way with injuries etc and just give the minutes to players who would benefit from them next season than buy in short term rejects.

13 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

That’s it for me and for once I think throwing money at the problem in January is a dangerous plan. I’d honestly be a little concerned if we bloat the squad.

I’d rather we write off this season if it looks that way with injuries etc and just give the minutes to players who would benefit from them next season than buy in short term rejects.

Excellent post.  I quite agree that this season is likely to be a write-off because of the injury situation, but there is a lot to build on and if the likes of Edwards, Bell, Smith and Towler can be brought through, I’d be happy to give them time to learn in the Championship.  There are worse places to be than the Championship...

23 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Apart from the last sentence I pretty much agree.

Like many of us I’m hopeful that when (?) DH has a full squad to select from that he’d be able to deliver the attacking football most of us crave. I’m not ready to write this season off just yet - there’s still a long way to go.

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Apart from the last sentence I pretty much agree.

Like many of us I’m hopeful that when (?) DH has a full squad to select from that he’d be able to deliver the attacking football most of us crave. I’m not ready to write this season off just yet - there’s still a long way to go.

Fair enough - I do agree to a certain extent. 

I personally don’t hold out too much hope for that, I think the results flattered the performances earlier in the season and I’m wary of putting expectation on returning players.

For me, the way this season is heading now is one of consolidation, which is disappointing, but if the club want to persist with DH then a seasons experience for him and some serious minutes for our best younger prospects is potentially 2 positives from what could be a ‘disappointing’ league position finish. Most likely our lowest for 3 years or so.

That’s just my gut feeling on this one - but absolutely, as you say, things could pick up and we get back in the hunt quickly given how tight the league is.

55 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

They are certainly not quality. 

To be fair with the players we have out on loan, Smith may be an option off the bench, but unless he's bulked up a bit (haven't seen anything of him for a while) will get pushed off the ball far too easily at this level.

The only other player that would be worth a recall is Palmer. He's got talent in abundance, but the issue with him is getting him in the right position to be of any benefit to our team, and maybe needs to be motivated a bit.

Spent years at Chelsea being loaned out, comes here, then gets loaned out. If that was me, I'd be asking questions about myself especially when on form, he can be a game changer. Consistency is the key with him, but then the same could be said with players like O'Dowda, Patterson, Fam, Wells....

We're in a great position, despite the current global situation that everyone finds themselves in, AND we have virtually a full 11 of injured players!!

A couple of key signings, added to a few returning from injury (maybe/hopefully), and I think we can continue to push on in the right direction.

What also needs to happen though, is that we need to start being more consistent on the pitch.

Maybe one of the key signings should be a sports psychologist, because some of the performances need an extra something, even if that is mentally!! May also help on the injury front as well...

Rather we took someone on loan than recalled Pring. He's not ready for this league yet on the bits I've seen. 

I'd bring KP back if he's ok with it.

If we plan on going 4-3-3 then I'd definitely look at bringing back one of the wingers out on loan, Wells isn't suited to playing out wide and looks poor whenever he's out there. Adelakun/Edwards/Smith - Smith be interesting, left footer so would add balance. 

Robbie Cundy maybe if Mariappa isn't having his deal extended & we fail to bring anyone else in. Would help us defending set pieces with his height you'd hope. Not sure about his capabilities on the ball though, haven't seen enough. 

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Fair enough - I do agree to a certain extent. 

I personally don’t hold out too much hope for that, I think the results flattered the performances earlier in the season and I’m wary of putting expectation on returning players.

For me, the way this season is heading now is one of consolidation, which is disappointing, but if the club want to persist with DH then a seasons experience for him and some serious minutes for our best younger prospects is potentially 2 positives from what could be a ‘disappointing’ league position finish. Most likely our lowest for 3 years or so.

That’s just my gut feeling on this one - but absolutely, as you say, things could pick up and we get back in the hunt quickly given how tight the league is.

That’s definitely the trend, which as you say is disappointing, but this is a league of fine margins.  Not suggesting we are going to reverse the trend, but I think we need to see what the next few weeks brings, both in terms of points, injuries and window.

Personally I don’t see us bringing in much in the window.

3 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

I am sure the OP has posted this with regards to Kasey Palmer. He’s not currently getting games at Swansea and I can’t see them meeting our asking price for him, so it does seem a pretty obvious move to recall him, especially as there is no sign of Paterson returning and we can’t be reliant on just one creative midfielder.

And yes it would require a change in formation up front to accommodate him without losing players in midfield but I don’t see that as a bad thing as Wells actually scored most of his goals at QPR last season as a lone striker with a creative player (Eze) behind him. That said Eze is thriving at Palace this season and probably a significant cut above KP.

Well down the pecking order there. 3rd choice CAM similar to his role with us. Dhanda is getting off the bench before him.

We are short of numbers so I would take both pring and palmer back.

Some good, interesting posts. 
I guess we have to consider , where we are as a team, as a squad , and how we improve in the short term.

The bench has been scary in the lack of experience. To get a few youngsters back, who at least have some games under their belt makes sense . Pring, Morton, Palmer maybe even Edwards?
To affect the first team, only Palmer really. He could rotate with COD, and could be the spark that gets Wells going.
It all depends on fitness, who comes back and when. But I don't see us spending much , if anything.
 We are light in both FB positions, but if Baker &/or Mawson are due soon, that frees up Vyner & Moore to cover when Hunt needs a rest, with Sess possibly back soon. At the moment we have 4 CB's with 2 due back in a few weeks. We have 3 MF's plus COD and Pato due back any time and the mystery pairing of Williams & Walsh possibly weeks away.  Up front 4 strikers with a chance we may lose one. This is probably the only place we might sign someone, but more than likely loan.

In the current situation I don't see many splashing out, and specially not us. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

That’s definitely the trend, which as you say is disappointing, but this is a league of fine margins.  Not suggesting we are going to reverse the trend, but I think we need to see what the next few weeks brings, both in terms of points, injuries and window.

Personally I don’t see us bringing in much in the window.

I know I’ve changed my tune a bit and I’ve spent the last 4 season or so being eternally positive, perhaps this time round I’m a bit more pessimistic given the trends over those last 4 seasons.

Absolutely agree that it’s not impossible for us to get back in the hunt for the playoffs and just 2 wins could do that and lift the whole mood. Momentum does funny things in football!

I think my general feeling is, given what I’ve seen so far this season, add in the injuries and FFP, I think we’re unlikely to find the improvements needed to seriously, consistently challenge the top 6 this year.

(I’m pretty willing to accept a ‘re-building’ or transitional season TBH, so long as it’s used for us to come back stronger next time)

As always though mate, I’m more than happy to be proved wrong!!

I have been in favour of a Palmer recall but only if we change our approach to games. He certainly wont be the answer if we continue playing the same style as now. I dont think we need much changing  except our game plan. Easy to say from the sidelines though.

Archived