IGNORED

Season 2012/3 Our Last relegation.... How fortunes change.

DT The Optimist

Bit of fun really leading up to Boxing Day... with a bit of doom and gloom within OTIB at present when we are sat 9th in the Championship, perhaps its not all as bad we think, or perceive it to be... I am sure like you many of the more ‘mature’ posters  who lurk here, you can remember and recall there have been even darker days than the SOD relegation of 2012/3 season...  However if you look at that league table, from that that season, it shows how quickly fortunes can change in football.. I looked as I could not recall who was relegated with us....

We finished bottom of the pile with 41 points winning eleven and drawing 8. Ironically relegated with us (hands up if you remembered) were the Wolves! They went down with 51 points and above them were the Posh with 54 points. Look at Wolves now.   Promoted out of league one, out of the Championship, now an established Prem side that has played in Europe.(we have become an established Championship side). We clearly did not learn the lessons from the season before when we had ended up with 49 points and 20th. 

The top of the table  that  relegation year was interesting. Hull City got promoted ( Yet again!) after beating us in that play off final 2008,  they survived a year in the prem, then relegated, then bounced back. If only..... Now where are they... below us in League One..

Leicester City finished 6th and in the Pray offs and got beat by Watford...  However next season won the Championship.They survived by skin of teeth in the Premier League then won the bloody thing ! Played champions league and even today are sitting high in the Premier league...  Just beaten Spurs.

Other teams who finished above us  that year were Bolton and Blackpool..what stories both sets of fans have about these clubs then..really bad owners, with demonstrations and the like...threat of existence hung over them. 

Today I drove past the training ground going into Bristol..its rising very quickly now. We have a fantastic stadium, we are going to have second to none training facilities and will be able to attract better players with premier quality facilities... we are building from the base up. 

Has Lansdown got it so wrong as many on here suggest ? Did Hull City have a better model than us having played in top tier twice... but now in league one..  again with interesting owners... to be kind. 

At least that relegation season gave us a laugh with the famous SOD interview of ‘no more, no more stupid questions’ and the whole of the East End singing in unison waving arms around replicating SODs words... only football fans could do that ! 

Happy Xmas everyone. I will put my helmet on now !

9 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Bit of fun really leading up to Boxing Day... with a bit of doom and gloom within OTIB at present when we are sat 9th in the Championship, perhaps its not all as bad we think, or perceive it to be... I am sure like you many of the more ‘mature’ posters  who lurk here, you can remember and recall there have been even darker days than the SOD relegation of 2012/3 season...  However if you look at that league table, from that that season, it shows how quickly fortunes can change in football.. I looked as I could not recall who was relegated with us....

We finished bottom of the pile with 41 points winning eleven and drawing 8. Ironically relegated with us (hands up if you remembered) were the Wolves! They went down with 51 points and above them were the Posh with 54 points. Look at Wolves now.   Promoted out of league one, out of the Championship, now an established Prem side that has played in Europe.(we have become an established Championship side). We clearly did not learn the lessons from the season before when we had ended up with 49 points and 20th. 

The top of the table  that  relegation year was interesting. Hull City got promoted ( Yet again!) after beating us in that play off final 2008,  they survived a year in the prem, then relegated, then bounced back. If only..... Now where are they... below us in League One..

Leicester City finished 6th and in the Pray offs and got beat by Watford...  However next season won the Championship.They survived by skin of teeth in the Premier League then won the bloody thing ! Played champions league and even today are sitting high in the Premier league...  Just beaten Spurs.

Other teams who finished above us  that year were Bolton and Blackpool..what stories both sets of fans have about these clubs then..really bad owners, with demonstrations and the like...threat of existence hung over them. 

Today I drove past the training ground going into Bristol..its rising very quickly now. We have a fantastic stadium, we are going to have second to none training facilities and will be able to attract better players with premier quality facilities... we are building from the base up. 

Has Lansdown got it so wrong as many on here suggest ? Did Hull City have a better model than us having played in top tier twice... but now in league one..  again with interesting owners... to be kind. 

At least that relegation season gave us a laugh with the famous SOD interview of ‘no more, no more stupid questions’ and the whole of the East End singing in unison waving arms around replicating SODs words... only football fans could do that ! 

Happy Xmas everyone. I will put my helmet on now !

Most things are in place to be a Prem club however do we ( above all , Uncle Steve ) have the necessary steel , drive and determination for it to happen ? 

43 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Most things are in place to be a Prem club however do we ( above all , Uncle Steve ) have the necessary steel , drive and determination for it to happen ? 

Ah, there is the crux of the problem. Most things - the off field commercial infrastructure - are in place to be a Premier League club.  It’s the small detail of getting it right on the pitch that causes problems. I’m not sure Uncle Steve will ever change and appoint a coach who will get us there. Steve likes steady coaches who won’t rock the boat 

23 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Easy to forget just how terrible we were by the end of our last stint in the championship!

very true Robin101, but I forgot how sh1te we were the year before as well, and its not that long ago really... perhaps the point is how quickly things can really change in football.  Hull City are a prime example of reaching never never land... paying dosh you do not have, dodgy owners...  blah blah blah.. Give me a S Lansdown any day of the week.

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Yes, but we just need the required patience 

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We hadn't even bottomed out either, that's the sad thing.

Seen the odd FB memory from 7 years ago- the period of the end of O'Driscoll and the beginning under Cotts. Now that was bleak! Except for some decent Cup results.

Given things started to improve from Boxing Day onwards that season, the darkness before the dawn.

To true. The reign of SOD was bizarre in the extreme.. yes it’s history but a strange time. For a manager to imply he did not look at the league table, wind up or not, but only the ‘performance’ mattered..   wonder what he would make of us this season, getting some results early on without the performance.

yep after relegation the stats say 11 games in league one without a win, bottom of the league, finally SOD gets heave Ho and along comes Steve Cotterell. To think that SOD ends up as assistant manager to Brendon Rogers at  Liverpool is another strange one. He is now at Portsmouth involved with academy.  Good old SOD ?

Funny really, in some ways I think people on here enjoyed the promotion season out of L1 under Cotts, thrashing most of the teams at that level more than being mid-table in the league above. And how would they feel if we did get promoted then were losing most of the time, not fun being a Sheffield Utd fan at the moment even though they are in the Prem, you have to be careful what you wish for!

5 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Funny really, in some ways I think people on here enjoyed the promotion season out of L1 under Cotts, thrashing most of the teams at that level more than being mid-table in the league above. And how would they feel if we did get promoted then were losing most of the time, not fun being a Sheffield Utd fan at the moment even though they are in the Prem, you have to be careful what you wish for!

Not sure on that one.. I have no doubt that when we get to Premier SL would open the book.. with that revenue he would want us to make a go of it. He has put so much into BCFC I am confident he would do what’s needed to establish us ?

As for Sheff Utd it’s a strange one, from being close to qualifying for  European football one season to dead certs for relegation the following season. Those blades fans mind would not wanted to have missed  that last season..

Most of us would want to join the top table and the elite....long way to go still. 

59 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Not sure on that one.. I have no doubt that when we get to Premier SL would open the book.. with that revenue he would want us to make a go of it. He has put so much into BCFC I am confident he would do what’s needed to establish us ?

As for Sheff Utd it’s a strange one, from being close to qualifying for  European football one season to dead certs for relegation the following season. Those blades fans mind would not wanted to have missed  that last season..

Most of us would want to join the top table and the elite....long way to go still. 

I think LJ said that if you go up to the Prem you need at least 3 players who can play at that level from your Championship season (eg when we had Brownhill and Webster for instance) since you can only afford to buy about 3 decent Prem players with the Sky money when you go up (if say you're paying £25m for each plus the wages) and you need more than that in your first season. Currently I can't think of any apart from Bentley, not sure about Kalas but the rest are not up to it. Whenever we get players like that they end up being sold sooner rather than later so it's a bit difficult to see how we could stay up if we eventually get there. SL will be very aware of what happened last time we played at that level when we overspent and nearly went out of business so I can't see him taking those risks again.

2 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

To true. The reign of SOD was bizarre in the extreme.. yes it’s history but a strange time. For a manager to imply he did not look at the league table, wind up or not, but only the ‘performance’ mattered..   wonder what he would make of us this season, getting some results early on without the performance.

yep after relegation the stats say 11 games in league one without a win, bottom of the league, finally SOD gets heave Ho and along comes Steve Cotterell. To think that SOD ends up as assistant manager to Brendon Rogers at  Liverpool is another strange one. He is now at Portsmouth involved with academy.  Good old SOD ?

Well, some of the “performances” under him defied belief, it hasn’t been entertaining of late true, but we aren’t scraping draws at home to the likes of Shrewsbury, Oldham, Leyton Orient, Colchester & Bradford, are we?

He would have taken us down to League Two, whether he ever looked at the league table or not.

• Admin
22 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

We have a fantastic stadium, we are going to have second to none training facilities and will be able to attract better players with premier quality facilities... we are building from the base up. 

Just the minor issue of being able to afford these people, with all the great facilities we will still only be buying from the same bracket of player

19 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Think the performance from games 1-8, maybe 1-10 was alright but get what you're saying.

@spudski has I believed talked about it on here before, O'Driscoll did a lot of the heavy lifting of helping us restructure- it was quite transitional under him or maybe was supposed to be, yet proved a disaster by the end!

17 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Well, some of the “performances” under him defied belief, it hasn’t been entertaining of late true, but we aren’t scraping draws at home to the likes of Shrewsbury, Oldham, Leyton Orient, Colchester & Bradford, are we?

He would have taken us down to League Two, whether he ever looked at the league table or not.

He was a good manager before he joined us- or a respectable one at least- just saying! ?

Go and check his trackrecord, a 10 year plus reasonable managerial career destroyed in 10-12 months! Coppell walking after 2 games should be an indicator!

For all the shortcomings under varied managers, we were, we were a basketcase for a few years. A basketcase- Manager In, Manager Out, Reasonable Player In, Reasonable Player out- Shit In, Shit Out!

Our wage bill also increased over x years at this level...and as wages rose, output/performance fell.

Archived