IGNORED

Diedhiou contract

REDOXO

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think from the google translation they are selling Julio Tavares, have already bought Panzo and Assale so look like they are splashing the cash.

Anyone know why they might suddenly be in the money?

I have read Ligue 1 are getting a much bigger tv deal soon or have recently. Think that could be part of it. 

44 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Just seen a tweet regarding interest from Dijon (no mustard puns) for Fam. Is there anything in it??

Good luck with the request to avoid puns, I guarantee the same boring one being repeated at least 4 times within this thread.

My hunch is there is something here, the French sport media are good, Kodjia’s move to us was broken that side of the Channel first.

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

I have read Ligue 1 are getting a much bigger tv deal soon or have recently. Think that could be part of it. 

That is interesting, I said to @Davefevs last night that it was noticeable how much more Angers (our favourite French club to buy from) have spent on players in recent years.

Leaving aside PSG’s dominance, Ligue 1 is definitely getting bigger and more respected.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

That is interesting, I said to @Davefevs last night that it was noticeable how much more Angers (our favourite French club to buy from) have spent on players in recent years.

Leaving aside PSG’s dominance, Ligue 1 is definitely getting bigger and more respected.

Yes I couldn’t find info on it in a quick search. Think it was agreed a couple years ago for around this season until the old deal ran out. Remember it because the article was basically saying the deal should help them hold out for higher fees for their talent.

I don’t think Ligue 1 is as bad as people say it is. Similar to Bundesliga for me. Not style but you get a dominant side who gets someone to test them once or twice every 5 seasons. From 8-15 are good but inconsistent and the bottom 5 generally quite poor. Is a very good league to find gems I think and that includes Ligue 2 as well

As @Olésaid earlier in another thread, Dijon have just broken their transfer record and got a striker in for 3.6m euros.

If so, I doubt they'll break that record again for Diedhiou.

Also, they've been close to relegation for the last two seasons  - would he be interested ? And could they match the salary ?

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

As @Olésaid earlier in another thread, Dijon have just broken their transfer record and got a striker in for 3.6m euros.

If so, I doubt they'll break that record again for Diedhiou.

Also, they've been close to relegation for the last two seasons  - would he be interested ? And could they match the salary ?

They sold a CB for that same amount and depending on what they sell Tavares for they could meet our fee. Idk what they pay in wages. I can’t see him getting a pay rise at Dijon though. 

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think from the google translation they are selling Julio Tavares, have already bought Panzo and Assale so look like they are splashing the cash.

Anyone know why they might suddenly be in the money?

Certainly looking to spend. They've been linked with Celina at Swansea too. 

Interesting conundrum for Famara. Stay at a club he is loved and continue with a settled family life around Gordano or return to France. Could come down to money but let's hope he chooses here. 

20 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think he’ll be off. In my opinion if he was going to sign he would’ve already. 

If he goes though we’ll need another forward and need to work quite quickly. Hopefully we have someone lined up.

I’m convinced the uncertainty around Fam was why we moved for Chris Martin, to avoid the situation we had last season when we only brought in Afobe at the very last minute.

Martin & Fam are very similar types so (& I appreciate many won’t agree) I wonder if Weimann being seen solely as a striker again if Fam goes, solves 2 problems.

Having Wells, Martin, Weimann, Semenyo as our striker options gives us 3 proven players at this level all with excellent availability records & means Semenyo is at least in with a possibility of being involved, which realistically as the 5th choice he won’t be.

Secondly it then reduces our midfield options down to about 10, which is still plenty.

7 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Interesting conundrum for Famara. Stay at a club he is loved and continue with a settled family life around Gordano or return to France. Could come down to money but let's hope he chooses here. 

Dijon, on paper, seems an unlikely proposition - relatively small club with average attendance of 12,800 last season, flirting with relegation last two seasons. Is it a step up ? Is it a step sideways ? If they're relegated this season its definitely a step backwards. At his age, if he moves, it has to be a smart move and Dijon aint a smart move for him imo.

13 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

The Swansea data guy I follow in twitter works for Mrkt Insights, so knows his stuff.  I asked him about the Cellina rumour....his response was it’s more than a rumour.

Dijon appear to be going for it.  Good wicketkeeper / batsman though!

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I’m convinced the uncertainty around Fam was why we moved for Chris Martin, to avoid the situation we had last season when we only brought in Afobe at the very last minute.

Martin & Fam are very similar types so (& I appreciate many won’t agree) I wonder if Weimann being seen solely as a striker again if Fam goes, solves 2 problems.

Having Wells, Martin, Weimann, Semenyo as our striker options gives us 3 proven players at this level all with excellent availability records & means Semenyo is at least in with a possibility of being involved, which realistically as the 5th choice he won’t be.

Secondly it then reduces our midfield options down to about 10, which is still plenty.

This is a good point and I think you could be right. Over a long season though I would be uneasy with just having 4 forwards - one being the inexperienced Semenyo. 

I appreciate a 3-5-2 allows us to modify the formation and use the likes of Paterson/Palmer in a 3-5-1-1 which may suit us given our amount of midfield personnel. 

I think if Diedhiou goes, I would like to see us move for another forward. I agree that Martin can play the Diedhiou role, so I'd like to see us go for someone fast and athletic to scare defences. Arguably Semenyo could be that player, but it remains to be seen whether he can be effective at Championship level.

If we're talking types of striker - someone like Che Adams at Southampton would be perfect for this. I can't think of many similar attainable players but I think that's the type we'd need to compliment the blend of forwards, even if just a loan.

13 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Settled family is important but Dijon would be a great place to live for an upwardly mobile young family. 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

This is a good point and I think you could be right. Over a long season though I would be uneasy with just having 4 forwards - one being the inexperienced Semenyo. 

I appreciate a 3-5-2 allows us to modify the formation and use the likes of Paterson/Palmer in a 3-5-1-1 which may suit us given our amount of midfield personnel. 

I think if Diedhiou goes, I would like to see us move for another forward. I agree that Martin can play the Diedhiou role, so I'd like to see us go for someone fast and athletic to scare defences. Arguably Semenyo could be that player, but it remains to be seen whether he can be effective at Championship level.

If we're talking types of striker - someone like Che Adams at Southampton would be perfect for this. I can't think of many similar attainable players but I think that's the type we'd need to compliment the blend of forwards, even if just a loan.

Adams will get plenty of game time with Southampton this season I think.  

I would use the next few games to really give Semenyo a chance and then decide if a new striker is needed. 

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Adams will get plenty of game time with Southampton this season I think.  

I would use the next few games to really give Semenyo a chance and then decide if a new striker is needed. 

Yeah, I was talking about an archetype not him as a realistic target. "Someone like Che Adams".

I agree though we can use the extended window to give Semenyo a good go and see where he's at.

I would say DH mentioning FD has been offered a contract is simply a sound bite to show the club tried at least, as to not upset the fan base. Reality, like NE, he will be gone to the highest bidder.

i genuinely think Martin is his replacement and the club will put more faith in semenyo as 4th striker behind wells and weimann.

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Take your point but just for reassurance last season Weimann featured in 45 games out of 46, with just the positive Covid test spoiling his ever present record, Wells in 43 (for us & for QPR) & Martin in 35 for Derby, so if replicated in 20/21 that doesn’t leave much space for Semenyo, let alone another striker.

Dijon have had a few ex championship players/former prem players. 

Had that Cardiff CB who was pretty pricy and decent, had 2 of the same last name from Gabon. 

Also have a decent Keeper

I'm sure they had those 2 Sunderland lads who were kicked out of Sunderland for going AWOL. Seem to be a bit of a hub for French speaking African players. Could see this happening

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Take your point but just for reassurance last season Weimann featured in 45 games out of 46, with just the positive Covid test spoiling his ever present record, Wells in 43 (for us & for QPR) & Martin in 35 for Derby, so if replicated in 20/21 that doesn’t leave much space for Semenyo, let alone another striker.

That's true good points, especially when you factor in the potential to play 3-5-1-1.

I think there'd be a temptation in the past to bring in a winger/striker - a player who can do a bit of both and ideally suits a 4-3-3. Someone like Jonathan Leko or Ryan Kent in seasons gone by.

Sticking to a 3-5-2 and actively recruiting for it doesn't make this as likely although obviously we'll play a number of formations throughout the season

Archived