IGNORED

Diedhiou contract

REDOXO

24 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Nakhi scored 20 goals last season, Martin scored 13, Weimann scored 9 playing multiple positions and Semenyo has already got off the mark this season.

How many more goals do we need to get promoted from strikers?

Based on what I have seen the past couple seasons we need 10 more from each ?

I do think our forwards have enough goals in them. We need to be stronger defensively if we want to be a top 6 side. If we want more goals they need to come from other areas of the pitch. 

11 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Just posted on another topic, I would look at bringing in a quick striker as a Fam replacement. 

- Macauley Bonne (Charlton £1.5m)

- Connor Chaplin (Barnsley £3m)

- Lucas João (Reading £6m)

I believe any of these 3 could offer us something we currently don't have. A player who has the pace to beat defenders when in possession of the ball, or look to run off the last man. 

Whilst I'd be happy with those signings I think this is a year of austerity 'trading'. 

In terms of transfer fees the sale of Szmodics and purchase of Williams leaves us roughly even.

If Fam went for say 5m, I think Ashton would stick that in the bank and say 'look, Steve, I've made you a net profit again'. 

I'm only guessing of course and would rather we have a range of attacking options, but I just think that 5-10m in the coffers (Fam and Nic) would nicely offset the Covid losses and keep us financially healthy (albeit loss-making overall).

Edit: forgot to say, I reckon if we want an attacker we rely on a Prem youngster on loan.

17 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I do think our forwards have enough goals in them. We need to be stronger defensively if we want to be a top 6 side. If we want more goals they need to come from other areas of the pitch. 

Haha good point.

I agree we need to get the spine of our team resolved. Hopefully with returnees from injury and fitness in midfield and defence will help.

3 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Haha good point.

I agree we need to get the spine of our team resolved. Hopefully with returnees from injury and fitness in midfield and defence will help.

If DH could rely on picking:

• Bentley
  • Kalas
  • Williams
  • Mawson
  • Dasilva
  • Paterson
  • Wells
  • Martin or Weimann

each game, we suddenly look pretty strong.

27 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

City certainly have enough firepower but that pretty useless if there’s no ammunition and supplying it is down to the rest of the team.

The five across midfield will in theory be key in the supply train.

16 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

I'm surprised him and Eliasson were involved yesterday with their ongoing contract situations, the risk to us is probably greater than it is to the individual players. If either of them get a nasty injury i.e out for 4 to 5 months we would be unable to sell them in this window whilst their value is still reasonable and left with a player that can sign a pre contract agreement in January to move for nothing next summer....can't imagine Ashton and the Lansdowns would be overly impressed with Holden in this scenario

We really need to set them both a deadline of say next weekend to make a decision and if they haven't signed then we actively circulate their names ASAP.

I agree.

As I understand it re Fam, there's been a contract to sign for months - its dragging on too long.

We really don't want to be in a position where there's a week to go till the window shuts and he decides to leave at that point and we are a striker down. We should be taking control of the situation and sit him on the bench, make it known he's up for sale, and get another striker in asap. 

Same for Eliasson only the money from his transfer can be set off against a new striker.

Caveat - Semenyo may be that "new" striker.

7 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I agree.

As I understand it re Fam, there's been a contract to sign for months - its dragging on too long.

We really don't want to be in a position where there's a week to go till the window shuts and he decides to leave at that point and we are a striker down. We should be taking control of the situation and sit him on the bench, make it known he's up for sale, and get another striker in asap. 

Same for Eliasson only the money from his transfer can be set off against a new striker.

Caveat - Semenyo may be that "new" striker.

Yep, maybe thats the plan once Martin is up to speed anyway. My other worry in selling him and Eliasson late in the window is that we will likely go on a late scattergun spree similar to after the Webster sale and bring in anoth 3 -4 players to integrate into the squad.

I’d like FD to stay. BUT...If he doesn’t appear willing to sign the contract then it’s time to move him on. We have options now and perhaps, if you put sentiment to one side, they are better options to suit the way we’ve set up to play. Cash in now and get Afobe out of Stoke as it looks like he won’t be getting much game time there. Attacking options of Wells, Martin, Weimann, Semenyo and Afobe - that would be pretty awesome right?! 

2 hours ago, RedRoss said:

Nakhi scored 20 goals last season, Martin scored 13, Weimann scored 9 playing multiple positions and Semenyo has already got off the mark this season.

Because if Nakhi gets injured we have: 

Martin who has scored 12 Championship goals in the past 4 seasons.

Weimann who only scores 1 in 4 games

Semenyo who hasn't scored in any league above league 2 so far.

Stats can be twisted to give any narrative.

4 hours ago, RedRoss said:

Agreed that's a top 6 front line for me.

We must remember Leeds got themselves promoted last season with a top scorer of Bamford with his 16 league goals and West Brom's top two goalscorers last season only got 10 each!

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Heard a report we've accepted a bid of €3.25m from Dijon. 

Seen it on a FB page. Bit lower than I thought we could get if true but good to get something out if it. Think selling to Europe the fee was always going to be lower than we wanted. See if it is true anyway

1 hour ago, Selred said:

I haven't twisted anything those stats are facts. 

So we should buy another top striker just in case strikers get injured? Surely that's where we use Semenyo and use our youth pathway. What if we bring someone in and Nakhi doesn't get injured and we've got three unhappy players?

The more I think about it the more I think this deal would make sense, not just financially but also for our team moving forwards. That way we can have Wells, Martin, Semenyo and Weimann as our 4 forwards. Weimann should not be taking up one of our 3 midfield slots. That is for Pato and then another 2 from Walsh, Williams, Morrell, Bakinson, Nagy, Brunt etc. I also think Wells would benefit from playing with a Martin or Weimann alongside side him. 

I think with additional add-ons (20% sell on, goals scored in Ligue 1) we’d take 3 million for him. 

We might miss Fam’s qualities in defending set pieces, but then again we’ve conceded in our last 17 league games so, maybe it won’t make much difference at all! 

1 minute ago, RedRoss said:

I haven't twisted anything those stats are facts. 

So we should buy another top striker just in case strikers get injured? Surely that's where we use Semenyo and use our youth pathway. What if we bring someone in and Nakhi doesn't get injured and we've got three unhappy players?

But stats can be shown to support either argument.

Personally I would always like 2 options on the bench. I feel Weimann and Semenyo would be too similar as players, I'd personally like to see another big guy as an option. Another club in the bag.

They will be rotated around.

10 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Where did you hear a report ? 

Just from a mate who said he'd read it on twitter but I've been unable to source it as yet. But I see that JoeAman08 has reported seeing it on FB so there may be something in it (or not). Fee seems, a little light to me, but in these times... 

Edit: source is someone listed as @nahkiboot who has 220 followers. Hopefully therefore it's not true. 

12 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Just from a mate who said he'd read it on twitter but I've been unable to source it as yet. But I see that JoeAman08 has reported seeing it on FB so there may be something in it (or not). Fee seems, a little light to me, but in these times... 

Edit: source is someone listed as @nahkiboot who has 220 followers. Hopefully therefore it's not true. 

Nagy to Besiktas is also on Twitter, could see that happening.

2 hours ago, Selred said:

They do have to be true though;

Martin scored 11 Championship goals last season, 2 in both of the previous 2 seasons & 10 in the one before that, so in his last 4 season he has scored 25 goals, not 12.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

They do have to be true though;

Martin scored 11 Championship goals last season, 2 in both of the previous 2 seasons & 10 in the one before that, so in his last 4 season he has scored 25 goals, not 12.

Ah apologies, I missed the loan goals! 

28 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Nagy to Besiktas is also on Twitter, could see that happening.

As has been said above, some fantasist who has never been right.

Nagy could well move on but I would want something more strong to believe than this joker.

I’m pissing myself reading this thread.

Fam goes and people think the other 4 striking options are enough to fire us to the PL?

The Leeds comparison was laughable, they create countless chances for their front man and they had Nketiah half the season banging them in from the bench too.

If Diedhiou goes for the average side that we looked Saturday we’ll need a quality striker to get us into the top six, otherwise forget about it.

2 minutes ago, JollyestOli said:

I’m pissing myself reading this thread.

Fam goes and people think the other 4 striking options are enough to fire us to the PL?

The Leeds comparison was laughable, they create countless chances for their front man and they had Nketiah half the season banging them in from the bench too.

If Diedhiou goes for the average side that we looked Saturday we’ll need a quality striker to get us into the top six, otherwise forget about it.

Whilst I agree with you that those 4 strikers will not get us promotion, the Nketiah bit is not true. Only scored 3 league goals for Leeds

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I’d quite like that to happen. If it means more game time for Walsh/Morrell/Bakinson then I’d be all for it.

Great if it works out and you (not "you" but people generally) are prepared to accept a year or 2 of them establishing themselves at this level and aren't demanding promotion with them playing more games. 

The aim is promotion! LJ was sacked because he didn’t get it. However Holden will be given a free hit this season if he keeps us competitive and up there.

We have tooooo many players. Thank You LJ! Some will have to leave. As forwards we have Wells Martin Weimann and Semenyo with Patterson playing a much more forward role. 

I think that Holden and Kalas have made it clear that they are expecting goals from all over the field. The constant referencing forwards as strikers, like a cheap cartoon, is part of the problem people have. Of course you want forwards to score goals but you need them from all over which has been our problem for years, not enough goal power in other areas, with one or two notable exception since 2010.

The forwards we have invite runners. Also Walsh has goals in him as I think Bakinson will. The style is changing  and the squad size will change with it.

Archived