IGNORED

Diedhiou contract

REDOXO

40 minutes ago, BigTone said:

To be expected I suppose. The only one recently who did the right thing by the club contract wise was Flint. Wouldn't mind if he returned TBH and that normally goes against my grain.

Could we afford him though?

Players who score 15 goals in a season come at a premium.

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

Problem is that while clubs are trying to survive the virus there is very little money floating around to pay transfer fees. I would think that those players  who do leave will do so for a fee a lot less than most of us would expect. The obvious roll on from that will be SL,JL & MA being accused of letting assets go too cheap and therefore have no ambition. I can almost see the posts on here now!! Especially from those allegedly ITK.

I get that no one could foresee this year and COVID. What I was on about was letting the contracts run into their last year. They must have made a conscience decision not to renew with 2 years to 18 months left. This may have been because they didn't wanted them and were letting the contracts run out, , that they they weren't sure they wanted them or not so let things run to make a decision later or because they didn't know which division we would be in.  But in those contracts running down are some first team regulars, now there is a chance that a player may be running his contract down in the hope that a free transfer brings him lots of cash, but not all of them. As I said, I would rather have them sold cheaper with 18 months to run rather than several leaving for nothing this summer.

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I get that no one could foresee this year and COVID. What I was on about was letting the contracts run into their last year. They must have made a conscience decision not to renew with 2 years to 18 months left. This may have been because they didn't wanted them and were letting the contracts run out, , that they they weren't sure they wanted them or not so let things run to make a decision later or because they didn't know which division we would be in.  But in those contracts running down are some first team regulars, now there is a chance that a player may be running his contract down in the hope that a free transfer brings him lots of cash, but not all of them. As I said, I would rather have them sold cheaper with 18 months to run rather than several leaving for nothing this summer.

But are we letting them run down because the future is unclear is more my point of view. No one (us included) wants to pay a fee if we can avoid it. January will see a lot of free transfers in and out for a lot of clubs I think.

5 minutes ago, BigTone said:

But are we letting them run down because the future is unclear is more my point of view. No one (us included) wants to pay a fee if we can avoid it. January will see a lot of free transfers in and out for a lot of clubs I think.

You are probably right, I just think doing it with the likes of Fam ,Pato and Walsh is risky. 

Fam £5m outlay and our top scorer last year, a player the head coach rates highly and a regular starter over the last 4 years, you would think they would be wanted for next year or we would want decent money for. Coventry wanted Walsh, Fam was linked with Turkey. They knew the contracts were out this coming summer, COVID didn't change that. The situation may be uncertain now, but if we lose ;

Weimann
Fam
Baker
Paterson
Hunt
Rowe
O'Leary
Brunt
Walsh

We will have to spend a lot more than the increase in wages may have been. It may turn out we sign those that we wanted to keep anyway, but, and this is my point. It's a risky strategy.

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

You are probably right, I just think doing it with the likes of Fam ,Pato and Walsh is risky. 

Fam £5m outlay and our top scorer last year, a player the head coach rates highly and a regular starter over the last 4 years, you would think they would be wanted for next year or we would want decent money for. Coventry wanted Walsh, Fam was linked with Turkey. They knew the contracts were out this coming summer, COVID didn't change that. The situation may be uncertain now, but if we lose ;

Weimann
Fam
Baker
Paterson
Hunt
Rowe
O'Leary
Brunt
Walsh

We will have to spend a lot more than the increase in wages may have been. It may turn out we sign those that we wanted to keep anyway, but, and this is my point. It's a risky strategy.

Understand your point of view

47 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Problem is that while clubs are trying to survive the virus there is very little money floating around to pay transfer fees. I would think that those players  who do leave will do so for a fee a lot less than most of us would expect. The obvious roll on from that will be SL,JL & MA being accused of letting assets go too cheap and therefore have no ambition. I can almost see the posts on here now!! Especially from those allegedly ITK.

I would go further and suggest that the deflationary impact of Covid on transfer fees in the EFL will be long term.

Given that our business model is based on an inflationary market - developing or signing players and selling them on at a premium, reducing our losses in the process - we are going to have to think again. Otherwise we may face FFP issues.

A smaller squad and lower wage bill would have to follow I would think with any signings being free transfers and loans.

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Rabonas, volleys from outside the box, net bulging headers - who wouldn't want to see more of that?

Won me. Rather that than Semenyos volleys from outside the box designed to take down the suspension bridge xmas lights.

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

I would go further and suggest that the deflationary impact of Covid on transfer fees in the EFL will be long term.

Given that our business model is based on an inflationary market - developing or signing players and selling them on at a premium, reducing our losses in the process - we are going to have to think again. Otherwise we may face FFP issues.

A smaller squad and lower wage bill would have to follow I would think with any signings being free transfers and loans.

Pretty much spot on with that I think.

51 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Let's hope not.

What about the equally OOC 'Pato' Paterson - do you envisage him giving City the Bum's rush as well?

I wouldn’t offer Pato a contract to be honest. I think he’s been at the heart of our mediocrity for far too long now. 

I know some would disagree.

10 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

The current squad, injured players included, is not good enough for a serious promotion push.

Each single player who's contract is about to expire should be replaced by someone better. 

The money spent on Fam could buy you a lot.

If you understand something about football that is.

Hard to disagree Tommy, that is of course assuming we get a decent wedge for Fam which I very much doubt given market restraints.

2 hours ago, italian dave said:
2 hours ago, italian dave said:

But just because he doesn't sign a contract doesn't mean that he's 'led us a merry tune'. 

If he's assuring everyone at the club that he wants to sign and then doesn't, I'd agree with you.

If he's honest and simply doesn't want to sign a new contract - that's his right, and we've got no right to anything more.

Whether we'd ever know which of the two it is, I'm doubtful!

I would definitely agree with everything you have said. But Holden has come out & said he has had positive talks with him & that Diedhiou has told him he wants to stay ( or words to that affect ). Basically to the point that people thought that there was going to be a announcement earlier in the season & looking into his social network for clues. Now if he doesn’t want to sign & can get more money for his & his families future, then fair play. But I wonder how many were saying that about Maynard at the end! Imo, if he signs, great, if he moves, all the best to him. I was merely stating that the situation is exactly the same & that the perception was that Maynard led City on. COYR

I wish players and management would just be honest with us and just say.

" We have offered the player as long and as much as we feel they are worth to the club. If they don't accept the offer by the end of the month. They will be put up for sale.

" I love the fans and playing for the club, but the offers not good enough. So i have told my agent to find me a new club.

Then everybody would know and understand the situation.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Let's hope not.

What about the equally OOC 'Pato' Paterson - do you envisage him giving City the Bum's rush as well?

As far as we know, we haven’t put a contract offer in front of Pato.

Re Walsh and Diedhiou, we’ve been told they have been offered new deals.  Totally their prerogative to accept or decline it, and then totally club’s prerogative to withdraw that offer at a point too.

Hunt has said he’s happy with his current situation and happy to wait to see what happens.

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

You’ll be surprised to hear that I agree with you here Tone ??

You know my feelings on Ashton, but we can’t blame him for Covid, and the resulting knock-on effect on football finances and transfer fees. 

My angle on this : I believe the likes of Eliasson & Famara were due to be sold in summer 2020, with a year left on their deals. Negotiations were likely already in flow with suitors (likely abroad) for both. 
I’d imagine we were negotiating pretty reasonable fees for both. 

Once Covid hit, wallop. Fees reduced immediately. We probably did pretty decent business getting what we did for Eliasson but seemingly any Fam suitors didn’t want to stump up the sort of cash they were initially budgeting. 

The second part of this is to wonder what sort of contract offer we’ve put on the table for Fam. 
Let’s say he’s currently on £20 p/w (£1m per annum). Our wage bill last year was £30m roughly. Next season there may be a salary cap coming in of £18m. 
Therefore, we need to be looking at pretty much halving our wages. 
Perhaps we’ve offered Fam half of his current £20k pw. Fam may be holding off on that contract at the moment and seeing what the foreign market has to offer him come January. And who can blame him. 

Same for the likes of Walsh, Pato, etc. Perhaps they were due to be ‘moved on’ last summer, hence we didn’t extend their contracts when there was 18 months left. But covid has kicked everyone in the nuts. 

1 hour ago, Simon79 said:

I guess the truth is we fans rarely know the truth about what goes on. Maynard was a long time ago and my memory isn’t what it is; I can’t remember just what was said at the time. But unless I’m getting him mixed up with someone else then there were two things that left a sour taste. One was that he spent a long time injured the year before he left. And the other was his parting comments about his son and a Bristol accent. I don’t think Diedhiou will leave that kind of legacy. 

Just now, italian dave said:

I guess the truth is we fans rarely know the truth about what goes on. Maynard was a long time ago and my memory isn’t what it is; I can’t remember just what was said at the time. But unless I’m getting him mixed up with someone else then there were two things that left a sour taste. One was that he spent a long time injured the year before he left. And the other was his parting comments about his son and a Bristol accent. I don’t think Diedhiou will leave that kind of legacy. 

It was an injury that plagued him for a very long time after City. Something City I believe were very aware of, hence being happy with the money they received in the end ( or rumour has it! ). I think your are correct with the comments he made about his son & the Bristol accent, that is a major reason he got so much stick, but I believe it was said in a humour that it wasn’t received in. But you’re correct, Fam if he leaves, will be more fondly remembered. COYR 

3 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

The current squad, injured players included, is not good enough for a serious promotion push.

Each single player who's contract is about to expire should be replaced by someone better. 

The money spent on Fam could buy you a lot.

If you understand something about football that is.

We're not even good enough for a comedy promotiom push

11 hours ago, Harry said:

You’ll be surprised to hear that I agree with you here Tone ??

You know my feelings on Ashton, but we can’t blame him for Covid, and the resulting knock-on effect on football finances and transfer fees. 

My angle on this : I believe the likes of Eliasson & Famara were due to be sold in summer 2020, with a year left on their deals. Negotiations were likely already in flow with suitors (likely abroad) for both. 
I’d imagine we were negotiating pretty reasonable fees for both. 

Once Covid hit, wallop. Fees reduced immediately. We probably did pretty decent business getting what we did for Eliasson but seemingly any Fam suitors didn’t want to stump up the sort of cash they were initially budgeting. 

The second part of this is to wonder what sort of contract offer we’ve put on the table for Fam. 
Let’s say he’s currently on £20 p/w (£1m per annum). Our wage bill last year was £30m roughly. Next season there may be a salary cap coming in of £18m. 
Therefore, we need to be looking at pretty much halving our wages. 
Perhaps we’ve offered Fam half of his current £20k pw. Fam may be holding off on that contract at the moment and seeing what the foreign market has to offer him come January. And who can blame him. 

Same for the likes of Walsh, Pato, etc. Perhaps they were due to be ‘moved on’ last summer, hence we didn’t extend their contracts when there was 18 months left. But covid has kicked everyone in the nuts. 

We don't always disagree H

11 hours ago, italian dave said:

Didn't Leicester offer (supposedly) around £6m for him and he turned the move down as he didn't want to go there?

May have got the club and amount wrong, but it was a club similar to Leicester and the amount was a fair bit for where we were at the time. 

Archived