IGNORED

Diedhiou contract

REDOXO

14 hours ago, BigTone said:

Problem is that while clubs are trying to survive the virus there is very little money floating around to pay transfer fees. I would think that those players  who do leave will do so for a fee a lot less than most of us would expect. The obvious roll on from that will be SL,JL & MA being accused of letting assets go too cheap and therefore have no ambition. I can almost see the posts on here now!! Especially from those allegedly ITK.

This should be balanced out by incoming players bought for equally, low by comparison to Pre COVID times , fees .

To quiet the madding crowd it could be diplomatic to unveil Messi for 300,000 before announcing that Diedhiou has been sold for 250,000 ! 

14 hours ago, BigTone said:

But are we letting them run down because the future is unclear is more my point of view. No one (us included) wants to pay a fee if we can avoid it. January will see a lot of free transfers in and out for a lot of clubs I think.

Not to mention the fact that this year was a potential promotion year . You wouldn’t want a squad of Championship players blocking any incoming at a higher quality and fee,wages etc.

14 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

It's a risky strategy.

It certainly is and in some respects Ashton can’t win.

If he ties in all these players on new contracts he will be accused of lacking ambition and costing the club money with underachievers on high wages. 

If he sees them leave he will be accused of incompetence and losing the club millions.

We all have our say but we don’t know what is going on behind the scenes other than the owner won’t allow the club to go under.

17 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Not to mention the fact that this year was a potential promotion year . You wouldn’t want a squad of Championship players blocking any incoming at a higher quality and fee,wages etc.

Great point @Major Isewater. Regardless of peoples' opinions on the choice of manager/head coach, there was always a chance that we would give it a go this year.

With our current position in the league, it is still possible, and as has been proved time and time again in this league, if you can put together a really good run of results, you can easily get yourself in a high position.

Should we do the seemingly unlikely and win promotion, most of this squad would not be good enough over the course of a whole season in the top flight. Look at the position we're in now with injuries and fatigue - that in the top flight would cripple you. We would need additions, and some of the current team would either have to settle for a place in the squad, whilst better players come in ahead of them, or they have to go.

With the number of contracts up in the summer, we probably are hedging our bets a bit with a few, but on the other hand if we're heading into the last 5-6 games and are already out of contention for promotion, then some of those players would probably be offered shorter term contracts for next season.

36 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

A bit like O'Dowda really. Had a year left on deal and we'd have probably have been happy to sell for a good offer. 8 million was reported, though I imagine after negotiations that would have come down. Fulham not willing to go high enough and he stayed here and signed a new deal.

Are you saying City's reported valuation of O'Dowda was £8m?

Laughable if true. Massively OTT.

14 hours ago, Simon79 said:

. But you’re correct, Fam if he leaves, will be more fondly remembered. COYR 

Not across the board 

At a cost of somewhere around 2.5 million p.a (including) wages (If he leaves OOC) I would remember him as somebody who had the odd moment but largely was frustrating and underwhelming , (and did not improve here ) , and as our most expensive forward, relatively poor value for money

15 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I wouldn’t offer Pato a contract to be honest. I think he’s been at the heart of our mediocrity for far too long now. 

Yep, but to his credit Paterson regularly scores 5-6 goals a season - not too bad especially compared with our other midfielders, and when on form he's a positive creative and assist influence too.

Also regularly has spells where his form gradually declines to a situation where those things aren't happening and he's not offering much else, and it seems we were ready to unload him to Derby.

The club haven't publicly offered him a new contract afaik, which is a bit odd, because I certainly wouldn't see him as a player, at 29, who's so indispensable we can assume he's 'bound to be' offered one eventually.

His contract situation, especially when compared with others in a similar position, seems to have passed under the radar a bit - Fammy & Walsh have their own threads on here but I haven't noticed one on Pato - and it's really not clear the club want him to stay.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

It certainly is and in some respects Ashton can’t win.

If he ties in all these players on new contracts he will be accused of lacking ambition and costing the club money with underachievers on high wages. 

If he sees them leave he will be accused of incompetence and losing the club millions.

We all have our say but we don’t know what is going on behind the scenes other than the owner won’t allow the club to go under.

See below.

35 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep, but to his credit Paterson regularly scores 5-6 goals a season - not too bad especially compared with our other midfielders, and when on form he's a positive creative and assist influence too.

Also regularly has spells where his form gradually declines to a situation where those things aren't happening and he's not offering much else, and it seems we were ready to unload him to Derby.

The club haven't publicly offered him a new contract afaik, which is a bit odd, because I certainly wouldn't see him as a player, at 29, who's so indispensable we can assume he's 'bound to be' offered one eventually.

His contract situation, especially when compared with others in a similar position, seems to have passed under the radar a bit - Fammy & Walsh have their own threads on here but I haven't noticed one on Pato - and it's really not clear the club want him to stay.

The reason we probably don’t have a Pato thread is because it’s not a similar situation really.....the other two we’ve actually offered a contract....in Walsh’s case (and Eliasson) we even had to exercise our 1 year option...and we still can’t get him to sign.  I get your point though.

@Major Isewater to follow on. @Mr Popodopolousyou'll like this too!

Although we are are a well run club, I think we’ve got carried away and are at a bit of key moment in terms of what happens next.

The following table is from Bristol City Holdings Ltd, the holding company that contains Bristol City FC Ltd and Ashton Gate.  Forget the Rugby, Basketball and Bristol Sport, that’s separate.  This is the cold hard accounts that matter....since we’ve been back in the Championship.

F9930626-2A91-4937-BA36-534916E27425.thumb.jpeg.f536103064edad2e078748ad2d72734b.jpeg

The good thing is that income has increased from £14.2m to £30.3m (113%) but as you can see our costs have risen by the same (112%).

The gap between income and total costs was £12.5m in 2016, now its £26.3m).  What does that mean?  It means to meet FFP compliance you have to sell your best players.

Thats fine in an inflationary market where even your duff signings turn in a profit.  But it’s unsustainable (in SL’s sustainable model) when the market turns, or some other event happens, e.g. covid or Brexit.

The bigger the gap between cost and income, the more you have to sell.  We sold Kelly, Reid, Flint and Bryan in the last financial year (above) plus other bits and pieces.  A profit was a rarity in City’s accounts.  It’s bought us some time, but Webster’s and Brownhill’s sales in the yet to be published accounts for 19/20 will be swallowed up by Covid lost income and over £20m of fees paid out, e.g. Kalas, Bentley, Palmer, Dasilva, plus loans like Afobe, etc.  Now we have what looks like the best part of a full year without the same levels of income.

The actual accounts might not look too bad, but the amortisation millstone around our necks for those signings will be with us for 2 or 3 more years.

In summary I actually think we’ve got carried away and need to rein it in. We need to go back to basics.

I don’t think it’s much of a surprise that new contract talks aren’t happening for your Pato’s and Hunt’s, and I do wonder whether we’ve had to take offers off of the table, especially for Diedhiou who is not first choice anymore.

Finally, who’s the next Webster or Brownhill that would earn us £5m?  I don’t see one.  Bentley is probably are biggest asset but in the current market I don’t see us getting £5m for him.

19 hours ago, Harry said:

You’ll be surprised to hear that I agree with you here Tone ??

You know my feelings on Ashton, but we can’t blame him for Covid, and the resulting knock-on effect on football finances and transfer fees. 

You're letting him off way to easy there Hazza! 

Can he prove he didn't cause what I like to call the Ashton virus?!

MASSIVE FRAUD!

All the players out of contract in the summer will be looking at reduced terms on their current deals. They won't like this but I suspect they won't get better offers elsewhere. What is Fams market value now? Would another Championship club be wanting him to lead their line? Doubtful.

11 hours ago, JonDolman said:

That's what was reported at the time.

That could be either to make Fulham or any other interested clubs to meet somewhere in the middle.

Or it might be that City simply did not want to sell O'Dowda unless a club were to put in a silly offer, which 8 million would be, especially as he had a year left on contract.

If we get £8m for O'Doodah then I will fly over and give Ashton the shag of his life on the half way line at half time at a televised game (of his choice).

On 21/12/2020 at 14:07, Bassomylord said:

assuming the reason he has had such little game time is due to him not signing a contract?

Bar his suspension he has rarely started even with Martin being clearly shattered.

Rumours of an iminent signing seems now like smoke and mirrors.

Assuming he will be gone in the summer?

You assumed wrong sir. He hasnt played becauze he is crap. Citu broke the bank when they signed him record fees. Johnson had to play him at that price. Holden knows talent and it wasn't his signing. Hes goinf hoepfully and thank vod. Take his penalties away the bloje has barely scored near his fee we paid 

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Doesn't surprise me. Always thought of him as a Warnock type striker. Wouldn't surprise me if he is a big success there.

Had a feeling a cheap Freeman like sale might happen this month. Sell on clause might then be worth a fair bit, and maybe promotion fee if Boro ever get to the prem in there too. 

Don't mind this at all. People get frustrated with Fam, but we did not play him to his strengths enough. If we'd done that then maybe we would have got more interest and decent bids in the summer. But of course covid is a big factor in us not getting what we wanted too.

Same here.

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Would you feel the same way if he announced a pre-contract this month?

He can only do this with a non English side I believe, to be honest its quite rare that this becomes public knowledge in the January before anyway....I can't think of a recent example where this happened?

Archived