IGNORED

Diedhiou contract

REDOXO

9 hours ago, westonred said:

Fam obviously wants out otherwise he would have signed by now I would get what we can for him now and try for Smith of Rotherham big strong good hold up play and scored goals.

I’d rather we went for a completely different type of striker.  I don’t want one that plays the way Fam has been tasked with playing.  I want pace and technique.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’d rather we went for a completely different type of striker.  I don’t want one that plays the way Fam has been tasked with playing.  I want pace and technique.

I quite agree but we all know that quality strikers are like gold dust. There just aren’t enough with the ability required out there

Real shame we didn’t get Ivan Toney. He’d have been a perfect fit at City

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I quite agree but we all know that quality strikers are like gold dust. There just aren’t enough with the ability required out there

That’s where quality recruitment comes in.

Have you read “Moneyball”?  It’s that type of scouting we need, not getting fixated by stereotypes or over-reliant on data, but looking at other things that might be a good fit for us.  It’s finding those nuggets.  It’s finding those nuggets that nobody else is aware of or have ruled out.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Have you read “Moneyball”?  It’s that type of scouting we need, not getting fixated by stereotypes or over-reliant on data, but looking at other things that might be a good fit for us.  It’s finding those nuggets.  It’s finding those nuggets that nobody else is aware of or have ruled out.

I know that City were interested in Toney but Posh were asking what Ashton considered was too much and we withdrew unfortunately.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You seen much of Ricky Jade-Jones at Peterborough? Only just started playing for them but looks a good prospect. Has the pace for sure tho

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We’ve said for a long time Dave

Quality recruitment comes from recruiting to a Playin Ethos / Plan

Without a determined playing plan how can you possibly recruit well ?

Pieces of a Jigsaw 

The analysis should be focused on those pieces of the jigsaw , with players identified to suit our system and playing ethos 

When’s the last time we had a way of playing that we are determined to stick with and improve on

Appears that our recruitment has followed the ever changing playing path , and looks , completely scattergun 

It didn’t take a DoF to impose or at least maintain a playing ethos at Swansea - That was driven by Huw Jenkins , fair play

11 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

I dont think Warnock's birthplace is relevant, he has never spent his money, just wasted that of the club owners silly enough to employ him.

Regarding looking at the table, i think we know what it says. You may like to look at Warnock's club history; some 20 clubs, mostly lower league and mostly ending in failure.

When we (under LJ) recently beat Cardiff the games win ratios of the two managers was quite similar but even though Warnock is mainly lower league, his ratio was lower.

We may not get back to the winning ways of Lj this season but we will do next, with DH or anyone else, but please not boring, cheating Warnock

Well I blame @Davefevsfor highlighting your ridiculous post ... you are even suggesting that LJ had a better record than Warnock somewhere in amongst your ramblings?! You say Warnock’s record can be summarised as ‘mostly ending in failure’ ?! ????? He averages around one promotion every four seasons throughout a managerial career that spans almost four decades ... he holds the UK record for the most promotions ever - which bit of that screams ‘failure’ ???!!!

You seem to think that LJ is a better football manager than Neil Warnock - good grief ... you are undoubtedly one of those ‘fans’ that would have spouted vitriol on here if we’d ever appointed Warnock, and you would have screamed hysterically that you will never set foot in Ashton Gate again - and then you’d have kept a low profile whilst showing your true colours by sneaking back into our stadium to have a peek because Neil had taken us to the top of the division. 

The constant, unfounded criticism on here aimed at the most successful manager our game has ever known (in terms of promotions) is simply tiresome - perhaps the perpetrators are just bitter that Neil has never been our manager - but if he had been - I think it’s pretty obvious that he may well have taken us places of which the unimpressive list of our recent gaffers could only dream ...

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well I blame @Davefevsfor highlighting your ridiculous post ... you are even suggesting that LJ had a better record than Warnock somewhere in amongst your ramblings?! You say Warnock’s record can be summarised as ‘mostly ending in failure’ ?! ????? He averages around one promotion every four seasons throughout a managerial career that spans almost four decades ... he holds the UK record for the most promotions ever - which bit of that screams ‘failure’ ???!!!

You seem to think that LJ is a better football manager than Neil Warnock - good grief ... you are undoubtedly one of those ‘fans’ that would have spouted vitriol on here if we’d ever appointed Warnock, and you would have screamed hysterically that you will never set foot in Ashton Gate again - and then you’d have kept a low profile whilst showing your true colours by sneaking back into our stadium to have a peek because Neil had taken us to the top of the division. 

The constant, unfounded criticism on here aimed at the most successful manager our game has ever known (in terms of promotions) is simply tiresome - perhaps the perpetrators are just bitter that Neil has never been our manager - but if he had been - I think it’s pretty obvious that he may well have taken us places of which the unimpressive list of our recent gaffers could only dream ...

only if he had four windows a door and a roof and a couple of players of his choice.

With respect to a possible trade between us and Middlesbrough in terms of Assombalonga. Two separate transfers, quick worked example. Simply suggesting how it might work, not that it's on or that I have any knowledge.

We pay say £2m for Assombalonga and Middlesbrough the same for Diedhiou.

£2m - Net Book Value in each case yields net profit. Remaining Net Book Value is different in each case but should be equal to the outstanding amortisation for each.

This also avoids the risk of a potential loss on disposal as per a straight swap, makes the FFP look a bit better and if each on say a 2.5 year deal, both sides are up on it in terms of fresh amortisation replacing the removed amortisation, both now and each of the next two seasons. 

Plus the net spend for each is £2m. Cancels out, maybe paid in one straight hit or 2 equal instalments.

Indeed the low book value means reasonable chance of profit if selling them on especially by end of January 2022 window. Or depending on form, football financial economy etc, by end of summer 2022 window!

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I know that City were interested in Toney but Posh were asking what Ashton considered was too much and we withdrew unfortunately.

Those are the almost polished gems, we need to find the unpolished ones....least of all from Peterborough, who will fleece us.

£8m was way out of our league this summer.  Brentford had Watkins to sell for £20m+ and Benrahma on a loan with agreed sale this summer....keeps the future cash flow / p&l nice and tidy.

Last winter, DMac was asking £10m and a loan back for the rest of the season.

We need to be looking at the Tyler Walker, Macauley Bonne types....where they are actually better than they look because they suit the system you’re gonna play.  Not saying those two specifically but don’t just scout the goalscorers, scout the fit to your system.  Sometimes easy to be snobbish and just at goals per game and turn your nose up.  Look at Wilbraham....the shouts on here of he’s a 1 in 4/5 without looking what he’d bring.

Id love to have the time to really study Jephcott (Plymouth) and perhaps Pigott (Wimbledon).  Little snippets I’ve seen suggest there is something there, Pigott is a late developer at 27 and might be at his ceiling, but it’s players like that where you can really save a fortune.  Klich of Leeds was playing in German Regional divisions before FC Zwolle picked him up.  12 months later he’s at Leeds.

When was the last time we signed a player from nowhere and everyone else was saying “City are clever recruiters”?

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Those are the almost polished gems, we need to find the unpolished ones....least of all from Peterborough, who will fleece us.

£8m was way out of our league this summer.  Brentford had Watkins to sell for £20m+ and Benrahma on a loan with agreed sale this summer....keeps the future cash flow / p&l nice and tidy.

Last winter, DMac was asking £10m and a loan back for the rest of the season.

We need to be looking at the Tyler Walker, Macauley Bonne types....where they are actually better than they look because they suit the system you’re gonna play.  Not saying those two specifically but don’t just scout the goalscorers, scout the fit to your system.  Sometimes easy to be snobbish and just at goals per game and turn your nose up.  Look at Wilbraham....the shouts on here of he’s a 1 in 4/5 without looking what he’d bring.

Id love to have the time to really study Jephcott (Plymouth) and perhaps Pigott (Wimbledon).  Little snippets I’ve seen suggest there is something there, Pigott is a late developer at 27 and might be at his ceiling, but it’s players like that where you can really save a fortune.  Klich of Leeds was playing in German Regional divisions before FC Zwolle picked him up.  12 months later he’s at Leeds.

When was the last time we signed a player from nowhere and everyone else was saying “City are clever recruiters”?

Not even sleep can keep you away from this forum ??

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

If we want BA and he wants to come here, just do separate transfers.  You might not sign on the dotted line until the other is done, but doesn’t have to be a swap.

Think he would be a perfect fit for City his injury record would sit well with the medical team and if he played 5 games a season that would great

Going back up the thread Jon and looking at @Davefevs comments the issue I think we have with Wells is we don’t play to his strengths - it is about recruiting for the ‘system’ and I can’t see what that is.

Playing him wide left is utterly bizarre and a waste.

As for Semenyo, I am not so sure, my huge concern is that he is not remotely a natural finisher, now that can be improved upon through coaching but the ‘instinct’ is simply not there in my opinion. I hope I am wrong and you are right.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

With respect to a possible trade between us and Middlesbrough in terms of Assombalonga. Two separate transfers, quick worked example. Simply suggesting how it might work, not that it's on or that I have any knowledge.

We pay say £2m for Assombalonga and Middlesbrough the same for Diedhiou.

£2m - Net Book Value in each case yields net profit. Remaining Net Book Value is different in each case but should be equal to the outstanding amortisation for each.

This also avoids the risk of a potential loss on disposal as per a straight swap, makes the FFP look a bit better and if each on say a 2.5 year deal, both sides are up on it in terms of fresh amortisation replacing the removed amortisation, both now and each of the next two seasons. 

Plus the net spend for each is £2m. Cancels out, maybe paid in one straight hit or 2 equal instalments.

Indeed the low book value means reasonable chance of profit if selling them on especially by end of January 2022 window. Or depending on form, football financial economy etc, by end of summer 2022 window!

Technically then the same calculation would apply if we replaced FD with any other forward for same £’s, except the cash implications would be different payment schedules?

A big difference between FD & BA would be wages. BA will be on more than FD due to transfer history & likely to expect an increase too.

Anyway I don’t believe we’ll sign BA if FD goes to Boro. If we did it would illustrate the plot has been well & truly lost in terms of recruitment strategy.

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

Why would he be a “quality fit at City”? We create hardly any chances. Most forwards are only as good as the chances they take. Brentford consistently create far more than us, unfortunately.

No doubting Toney is class at this level but he couldn’t have gone to a better club than Brentford at this level (in terms of the service he gets). 

14 hours ago, petehinton said:

People probably won’t like this but going to Boro (bigger club), with a manager who knows how to get promoted out of this division, on more money than he’s on now is probably a no brainer. I still standby if he loved the club/city so much like we’ve been told, it wouldn’t take 7 months to sign a deal

Exactly. He's still only 28, so probably has a couple of big moves left if he wanted. Maybe Boro for a couple of years then off to the Middle East or China. 

I don't know his circumstances - but a couple of lucrative moves could set up his family for generations to come, especially if some are back in Senegal. I wouldn't really blame him for wanting a few wage rises and signing on fees while he can get them. 

42 minutes ago, tin said:

Why would he be a “quality fit at City”? We create hardly any chances. Most forwards are only as good as the chances they take. Brentford consistently create far more than us, unfortunately.

No doubting Toney is class at this level but he couldn’t have gone to a better club than Brentford at this level (in terms of the service he gets). 

I actually thought. exactly that just after I posted..............:disapointed2se:

It unfortunately boils down to the lengthy injury list which has left the midfield very lightweight. If the likes of Williams, Walsh and Wieman were all fit we’d see a very different City 

I know I bang on about him but BB would provide some creatively that City are lacking right now.

People say sell him for 1.5-2m now rather than nothing in the summer, which is a sound argument, but I think he's worth paying that to keep him for the rest of the season with all the injuries. Not to mention strengthening a possible rival. We simply cannot weaken any further this season. 

4 minutes ago, Sturny said:

People say sell him for 1.5-2m now rather than nothing in the summer, which is a sound argument, but I think he's worth paying that to keep him for the rest of the season with all the injuries. Not the mention strengthening a possible rival. We simply cannot weaken any further this season. 

We arn’t going up with him , and we arn’t going down without him

So what are we throwing away £1.5-2m (& wages - £400kish) for ?

That £2 x 2.5 million could be used creatively in summer window with so many players OOC , and would also help FFP

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

We arn’t going up with him , and we arn’t going down without him

So what are we throwing away £1.5-2m (& wages - £400kish) for ?

Don't think we can say either of those for certain. Like I said, £1.5-2m to keep what strength we have left. 

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

That’s a £100k + ,  a week for a probably slightly disinterested Famara who isn’t even a first choice pick

No thanks 

Fair enough, I would prefer we keep him on. Out of curiosity, do you have faith in MA to reinvest that money wisely? 

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

No, not particularly , not at all

but I don’t think it’s well invested in a soon to be departing Famara

Me neither.

Strictly financially it makes sense of course, but on the pitch Fam seems to be one of the very few subs we have left that can make an impact in a game. With the formation DH is sticking to it doesn't seem like we'd have any other strikers on the bench! 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

It would not make much sense to sigm Assombalonga imo.

He must demand pretty high wages and would he even get in our side?

If this was to happen then that would mean Warncok prefers Fam who is a sub for us.

I know that's not a reason not to sign him, as every manager will use different tactics and some players will suit some teams more than others.

But with Martin being a Holden favourite, Wells playing out wide a lot but was the top goalscorer in the championship when we signed him. And Semenyo who can play up front too. I don't think we need him. Would rather take a punt on someone who could potentially become better.

Assombalonga when at Peterborough Forest and early Boro spell demands high wages.....his stock has fallen, he has gotten older....would be another Wells like investment.....could probably just about afford him with little resale value in a few years time.

He gets into our side.....he is better than Diedhiou....but can be lazy and injury prone. 

I suppose it would be a gamble and seeing our board is completely risk averse I can't see it happening.

Archived