IGNORED

Diedhiou contract

REDOXO

48 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

Assombalonga when at Peterborough Forest and early Boro spell demands high wages.....his stock has fallen, he has gotten older....would be another Wells like investment.....could probably just about afford him with little resale value in a few years time.

He gets into our side.....he is better than Diedhiou....but can be lazy and injury prone. 

I suppose it would be a gamble and seeing our board is completely risk averse I can't see it happening.

Agree with most of your post, but is Assombalonga better than Fam ? At one stage, as you mention in his early career, without doubt . Last 4 years looks different .

2017–18[57] Championship 44 15 1 0 0 0 2 0 47 15
2018–19[58] Championship 42 14 3 2 1 0 0 0 46 16
2019–20[59] Championship 36 11 0 0 1 0 0 0 37 11
2020–21[60] Championship 18 4 0 0 1 0 0 0 19 4

144 games 44 goals for Britt

2017–18 Championship 32 13 0 0 4 1 0 0 36 14
2018–19 Championship 41 13 3 0 0 0 0 0 44 13
2019–20 Championship 41 12 2 1 1 1 0 0 44 14
2020–21 Championship 14 1 0 0 2 0 0 0 16 1

128 games 39 goals for the man from Knowle. 

Hardly anything in it. A search has Fam on about £18.5k , they're the same age,  but if @Carey 6 figures are right Fam's on half the money. 
I'd rather keep Fam, if possible. But looking at the whole thing, it looks a bad fit for us.

1 hour ago, Redandproud said:

Says who, and you believe there fan's, 

You know who considering the next part of your sentence was regarding them. 

I wasn't reporting it as fact but just what I'd read from browsing their forum in the past. 

But a quick search has just come up with this also. 

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/britt-assombalonga-boro-outbid-various-13345323

It is understood the move will double his £20,000 Forest wages and includes rich goal bonuses while promotion would see his earnings soar to £60,000 a week - £3m a year.

10 hours ago, Red Alert said:

Technically then the same calculation would apply if we replaced FD with any other forward for same £’s, except the cash implications would be different payment schedules?

A big difference between FD & BA would be wages. BA will be on more than FD due to transfer history & likely to expect an increase too.

Anyway I don’t believe we’ll sign BA if FD goes to Boro. If we did it would illustrate the plot has been well & truly lost in terms of recruitment strategy.

I don’t think Britt will be getting more than his current (alleged) £35k pw anywhere.  His stock is nowhere near what is has been.  But I bet he will be (rightly) angling for as much as he can.

8 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yep agree Wells is wasted out wide. But imo he has not yet played well alongside Martin or Fam when played through the middle, except the odd game like Boro away 3-1 win. Interested to see him alongside Semenyo if we go 2 up top.

Last 2 games Wells has been up top with Martin, Massengo left midfield, or O'Dowda left midfield the game before. 

It isn't surprising Wells has not looked particularly good with Martin whether in a 442 or 352. His best form in his career seems to have been when up top on his own, with flair and creativity from wide players and number 10 in behind to thread balls through.

I think Semenyo has the natural ability to get chances. A bit like Kodjia in how he can create his own chances. Strikers like that are like gold dust. We see him doing the odd brilliant thing from quite deep and wide, beating some players. He is so strong I can see him being far more dangerous in making things happen against big centre halves in the future closer to the opponents goal up front. I do go on about Antoiine but I think he's got amazing potential.

Finishing has to improve of course. It is possible that will never happen, but it certainly helps that he can smash it with either foot and it looks like he will always get chances.

Wells with Hanson at Bradford

With Ward / Holt at Huddersfield at times 

With Hugill for QPR

I guess the point I’m making is that although his spell at QPR was good in the main with Eze, Chair, Osayi-Samuel behind, he’s scored goals in partnerships too.  He’s not a one system player.

At the end of the day if gets chances he will score goals.  We have not seen the best of him, but I would say the spell of games earlier in the season he was just getting up to the levels I expected in his general outside the box play, and getting used to Martin in the box....and where he needed to be.

4 hours ago, Red Alert said:

Kodjia

Exactly over 5 years ago, and under a completely different recruitment team and process.

Thinking about it, Diedhiou did play but Wells and Weimann combined well at Middlesbrough?

Too late now of course, but I wonder if that could have been a useful alternative.

Instead of in our 3-5-2- think early season:

Bentley

Moore Kalas Mawson

Hunt Weimann Bakinson Paterson Rowe/DaSilva

Martin Wells

Instead:

Bentley

Moore Kalas Mawson

Hunt Nagy Bakinson Paterson Rowe/DaSilva

Weimann Wells

Martin is highly important or has been, but that Weimann-Wells combination. Would also have protected Martin a bit better from burnout.

Some games pairing Weimann and Martin too? The Derby connection, with Martin as pivot and Weimann leading the press.

3-4 and then the following also:

Weimann             Paterson

Wells

Like a 3-4-2-1, that also can become a 3-4-1-2 and a 3-4-3 in-game. Very fluid, especially if Wells the '1'.

Think these tweaks could have been with exploring personally, albeit within the same framework. Vyner also supersedes Moore as in reality.

To add, Weimann and Paterson would NOT be wingers more like wide forwards. Or maybe with Weimann more of a wide forward, Paterson more of a wide midfielder.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think Britt will be getting more than his current (alleged) £35k pw anywhere.  His stock is nowhere near what is has been.  But I bet he will be (rightly) angling for as much as he can.

Wells with Hanson at Bradford

With Ward / Holt at Huddersfield at times 

With Hugill for QPR

I guess the point I’m making is that although his spell at QPR was good in the main with Eze, Chair, Osayi-Samuel behind, he’s scored goals in partnerships too.  He’s not a one system player.

At the end of the day if gets chances he will score goals.  We have not seen the best of him, but I would say the spell of games earlier in the season he was just getting up to the levels I expected in his general outside the box play, and getting used to Martin in the box....and where he needed to be.

Exactly over 5 years ago, and under a completely different recruitment team and process.

Webster wasn’t too shabby. But take the point. 

27 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Was niclas eliasson known at the time?

Thank god for Kodjia, if it wasn't for him we would have had about 4pts when SC was sacked.

Yes, good shout.  Not many left-field signings though that show anything out of the ordinary from a scouting point of view....that have been above average.  You could argue even with Eliasson that he didn’t play enough, or get sold on for enough, i.e. Ashton missed the boat on selling him.

But I accept all of this is subjective.

Archived