IGNORED

Diedhiou contract

REDOXO

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

I've a horrible feeling we're going to lose Fam for £0 in the summer. Obviously, I hope I'm wrong. :(

Depends where we end up! If we go up, then we'd either offer him a Premier League contract or upgrade him anyway.

If we don't, and the offers on the table don't suit him, he'll either chase the coins or accept what we have come up with. By which time we should have more options with youth developers coming back.

Really hope we sell him soon. The money brought in could really help the clubs finances during this time and I think we play such sharper, free flowing football when he is not in the team. It would be potentially very damaging for him to see out his contract just so he can be offered a fat wedge of a signing on fee Somewhere else.

He smiles a lot so everyone thinks he a nice guy but he’s taking us for a ride. 

10 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

And you know that how? It’s a very strong statement to make with what I’d suggest is something that has no proof.

He’s well within his rights to try & get the best deal he can for himself, this is possibly the last opportunity he has to maximise his worth because assuming he signs a 3 year contract wherever, he’ll then be 30 years-old, unlikely to get a top division move at that age.

12 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

He’s a professional footballer , he will do what he believes is right for him.

He only owes us the best of himself whilst he’s with us and nothing after his contract ends.

I prefer that he goes or signs his new contract offer with us but it’s his career and livelihood. 

3 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

And you know that how? It’s a very strong statement to make with what I’d suggest is something that has no proof.

He’s well within his rights to try & get the best deal he can for himself, this is possibly the last opportunity he has to maximise his worth because assuming he signs a 3 year contract wherever, he’ll then be 30 years-old, unlikely to get a top division move at that age.

Then dont tell your manager that you’re happy and want to stay. Just be honest. Say what you’re looking for and then the club can either offer it or you can leave. 

I guess problem is he doesn’t have anywhere to go as there’s no buyers/ clubs that will pay his desired wages because he’s really not that good. 

5 hours ago, Bobbie said:

Then dont tell your manager that you’re happy and want to stay. Just be honest. Say what you’re looking for and then the club can either offer it or you can leave. 

I guess problem is he doesn’t have anywhere to go as there’s no buyers/ clubs that will pay his desired wages because he’s really not that good. 

And again, what proof do you have that he’s not being honest? It’s quite a big slate on his character from you again!

Aubameyang basically did exactly the same as Diedhiou (stupid little egg timer emoji on whatever form of social media it was) & then took weeks / months to actually confirm his new deal.

Maybe Diedhiou has told the club he wants to stay but would like a couple of things in his contract (that under pre-Covid) was probably acceptable but now times have changed the club are struggling to be able to agree to, so the club & player have a few things that need agreeing?

Technically Diedhiou does have 9 months or so before his existing contract actually finishes!

Diedhiou has been nothing but 100% behind the cause since he’s been here & while people might criticise his speed, touch or finishing, one thing that can’t be criticised for being dishonest & taking the club for a ride, unlike a few players in the past that have joined us & then gone on to not even put any effort in.

It’s not all as simple as printing something out on your computer & getting him to sign it, City are in negotiations with several players for new deals, while trying to negotiate with others to get them to leave, while having only just recruited a few others. Our offer would have to go through Diedhiou’s representatives who may also have other clients that they are representing & they may feel that they can get a slightly better deal for their client (which is their job after all).

The financial climate throughout the world is changing daily because of the pandemic, City may of decided that what they offered him pre-pandemic is no longer feasible. Things change, that isn’t Diedhiou’s fault & it isn’t the clubs fault, that’s just the way things have gone.

On 25/09/2020 at 13:11, mozo said:

Rock bottom with 4 defeats in 4. It would be a nice place to relocate to, and he'd presumably be first choice, but a gruelling campaign to be part of.

There’s been a lot of player churn at Dijon but they have invested in the squad. It could be that the team takes a little while to gel . 

On 25/09/2020 at 12:11, mozo said:

Rock bottom with 4 defeats in 4. It would be a nice place to relocate to, and he'd presumably be first choice, but a gruelling campaign to be part of.

Not cutting the mustard this season then?

On 26/09/2020 at 17:44, Major Isewater said:

There’s been a lot of player churn at Dijon but they have invested in the squad. It could be that the team takes a little while to gel . 

Fair enough. I wonder if Fam will still be open to leaving if we beat Forest. He might think we're his ticket to the Prem?

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'm wondering if Championship teams may come in for him.

Cocu wants a striker with physical presence for Derby. 3.5 million from a team that don't seem too bothered by FFP? I could see that happening.

I wouldn’t sell to Derby no matter what & definitely not for £3.5m regardless of how long FD has left on his contract!

I just don’t trust Mel Morris!

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Cocu wants a striker with physical presence for Derby. 3.5 million from a team that don't seem too bothered by FFP? I could see that happening.

That recent double sale to Sheff U suggests they are more worried about FFP (or maybe the financial impact of Covid) than in previous seasons.

Definitely not spent as much as they have generated for once.

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Isn't it rumoured that is the asking price, or have I got that wrong? 

Yeah maybe

What the press say a club is asking for often tends to be different to what the club is actually asking for.

As for any link to Derby having him, put an extra couple of million on the price, Morris did manage to sell his own stadium to himself for millions more than anyone else would pay for it & Rooney isn’t there on £10k p/w so he clearly has ways of paying beyond his means & if they happened to want FD then why shouldn’t we have a little extra of the money he has hidden under the floorboards?

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

That recent double sale to Sheff U suggests they are more worried about FFP (or maybe the financial impact of Covid) than in previous seasons.

Definitely not spent as much as they have generated for once.

Agree, I think they’ve also had to fall into line re Amortisation too, so got a big “debit” hitting the accounts! 

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

The question for me is that, whilst I have no idea whether Derby pay higher wages than we do, surely the rationale for his agent pushing for a move is to raise his profile and chances of regular international football by getting him a move to a top division club, either in England or elsewhere. Beyond money, which might be a factor of course, I'm not sure what he gets from moving to Derby over staying here, especially if he can move on a free in a year's time and may have a better choice of clubs then...

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Well it seems now he is our 4th choice striker. So maybe not going to start too many for us.

This is true but you could argue that makes it a really bad time for him to move, as his options will be less than if he was playing regularly and banging in the goals. The thing with Fam is he has been with us for three seasons. First season, he started slowly, got dropped and then played his way into the team. Second season, he started with a six match ban and played his way into the team. Third season, he lost his place to Benik, got a chance through injury and ended up Player of the Season.

For that reason, I suspect he will have learned from experience that being third or fourth choice at the start of the season does not necessarily reflect where he will be by May so he might be better off rejecting sideways moves now and trusting in his own ability and working on the basis that, once he get his chance, he can force himself into the frame and potentially earn the level of move that he craves...

Just now, JonDolman said:

Well it seems now he is our 4th choice striker. So maybe not going to start too many for us.

But that can quickly change, Wells not exactly in the form of his life, Martin the oldest of the 4 so how many games can he continue to start? Semenyo young & as of last season inconsistent.

Now we’ve offered FD what has been described as a very good offer, I assume that gives him a pay rise & if he can pick that up while not having to ‘flogged like a dead horse’ as he was last season, that would have to be seen as a positive (for the player surely?) How many people would be upset with getting a pay rise while expecting to do less work? And if he can get a promotion pay rise put into any new contract while playing less, it’s got to be an even bigger positive right?

I also think that what needs to be pointed out to FD is the stability that is Bristol City Football Club, especially in these current uncertain financial time’s, he could move elsewhere & find himself not being paid his wages at any point, a move at the moment to any club other than a Premier League club or club that are reputable would be a risk for any player.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I'm just thinking we would not offer Diedhiou a new contract if he is 5th choice striker. 

Well I'd be surprised. Maybe it's that Fam is back up for Martin, Weimann back up for Wells. Semenyo back up for either. Lots of options. 

I'm still in the sell Diedhiou camp- I think we have enough and as I mentioned the rest seem to combine more easily. New contract with an extra year maybe to preserve value could be one way to go- or just an extra year?

Letting Diedhiou's contract run down (if he refuses to sign and can't leave), would be genius if it helps us reach the playoffs, or foolish if we don't. I'm not opposed to Diedhiou and Baker running their deals down. Eliasson we should move on.

3 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

But that can quickly change, Wells not exactly in the form of his life, Martin the oldest of the 4 so how many games can he continue to start? Semenyo young & as of last season inconsistent.

Now we’ve offered FD what has been described as a very good offer, I assume that gives him a pay rise & if he can pick that up while not having to ‘flogged like a dead horse’ as he was last season, that would have to be seen as a positive (for the player surely?) How many people would be upset with getting a pay rise while expecting to do less work? And if he can get a promotion pay rise put into any new contract while playing less, it’s got to be an even bigger positive right?

I also think that what needs to be pointed out to FD is the stability that is Bristol City Football Club, especially in these current uncertain financial time’s, he could move elsewhere & find himself not being paid his wages at any point, a move at the moment to any club other than a Premier League club or club that are reputable would be a risk for any player.

Martin is only 31! Lee Trundle became our record signing at 30 who was supposed to play most games. Martin, especially given his style of play, will be fine for a few more seasons yet. Wells is doing fine, he wasn't great at the weekend but he's exactly the sort of player to do nothing for 89 minutes but get a goal. He needs to play. 

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Letting Diedhiou's contract run down (if he refuses to sign and can't leave), would be genius if it helps us reach the playoffs, or foolish if we don't. I'm not opposed to Diedhiou and Baker running their deals down. Eliasson we should move on.

The choice isn't really with the club unfortunately.  I expect if it were all three would be sold in short order.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Martin is only 31! Lee Trundle became our record signing at 30 who was supposed to play most games. Martin, especially given his style of play, will be fine for a few more seasons yet. Wells is doing fine, he wasn't great at the weekend but he's exactly the sort of player to do nothing for 89 minutes but get a goal. He needs to play. 

But....... With the frequency of games being that technically the season has been shortened already, a lack of preseason (especially for Martin) & the tempo we look to play at, rotation will be required & I’d much rather we had the options available than not.

It is unlikely that those who have the shirts now won’t be affected by a drop off of form, injuries or suspensions throughout the season.

15 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

But....... With the frequency of games being that technically the season has been shortened already, a lack of preseason (especially for Martin) & the tempo we look to play at, rotation will be required & I’d much rather we had the options available than not.

It is unlikely that those who have the shirts now won’t be affected by a drop off of form, injuries or suspensions throughout the season.

That is true. I think we’d be ok with Wells, Martin, Weimann and Semenyo as forwards and then Paterson/Palmer who can play a bit deeper.

22 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That is true. I think we’d be ok with Wells, Martin, Weimann and Semenyo as forwards and then Paterson/Palmer who can play a bit deeper.

Being honest, as things stand & after his performance against Villa, I think there’s more chance of Palmer being gone before Diedhiou, even with his contract situation.

My one concern I currently have with DH in charge (And I actually expected the appointment from the beginning & have absolutely no issue with it), is that he is going to be too rigid with this 3-5-2 formation, so Paterson or Palmer (if he’s still here) being played in say a more 3-5-1-1 is unlikely. With the current situation of only really having the 3 central defenders, he’d rather play Rowe in the back 3 or Bakinson in there rather than playing a formation that would suit what players he has available.

There are ways of playing a 4 at the back without destroying the 3 central midfielders that he seems to prefer or is this formation built around the 3 central defenders & the rest of the team built around that? (I initially thought it was the 3 central midfielders so that he could fit Walsh & Morrell into the team without leaving them exposed) but now I’m not so sure because of his insistence of playing whoever he can to keep the 3 at the back & I fear that this could be a problem further down the line.

But I guess this is a different subject I’ve gone into now?

Archived